Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Yup. Other going than Italy, as an ethnic Italian, my idea of tourism is extremely different than the "typical" yuppie's. My traditional vacation spots have been South Florida, Canada, and Las Vegas. While the yuppie goes to Paris, Aspen, Hawaii, etc.

Good call with Greenpoint.

But I'd include Park Slope in that too. Not so much with the hipsters, but It's become the yuppie headquarters, yet there's still a multi-generational working-class white presence. I have cousins who've been in Park Slope for 50~ years, and know nowhere else, and they've got quite a few neighbors who have a similar backstory.
I agree with your statement on Park Slope. The big thing with Park Slope and Windsor Terrace is that they were working class white areas. Not wealthy areas but you had a decent area. Also the biggest anchor is Prospect Park. Also no projects. That's huge. What would you say is The Bronx's prospect park? Crotona? Vanny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I agree with your statement on Park Slope. The big thing with Park Slope and Windsor Terrace is that they were working class white areas. Not wealthy areas but you had a decent area. Also the biggest anchor is Prospect Park. Also no projects. That's huge. What would you say is The Bronx's prospect park? Crotona? Vanny?
Vanny. Its got everything.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I'd give Southern Brooklyn a nod at being affordable as well.
Yea the white areas in southern Brooklyn are. I saw a nice luxurious 2 bedroom condo for only 1700 in gravesend. A studio version like that by my school John Jay would run for 3k a month.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Vanny. Its got everything.
Along Broadway in Riverdale? Very spaced out, no?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Along Broadway in Riverdale? Very spaced out, no?
Not sure what you mean. I was saying that Van Courtlandt Park is truly full service. It's got everything but a zoo.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I didn't say you won't find a hipsters in the Bronx.

But to say that they will be moving there in large numbers...I don't think there is a high chance.

Yes, I do travel around NYC often.

I didn't say you won't see EBT or WIC signs in parts of Brooklyn. I'm very well aware that you will see them.

regardless, The Bronx is still one of the poorest parts of NYC.

and you are correct because I remember there was a crime of spree of people getting robbed for Iphones at one point in the city.

As for people looking down on poor people, this will always be the case (because many gentrifiers do), as we can't change their prejudiced views or ways. Do I like it...no. But prejudiced people do exist.

I wasn't blaming you or anyone else and I know that even if the Bronx does gentrify it won't be to the level of Williamsburg.
Parts of the Bronx, yes.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
My

Tired of seeing hood people "chillin'" outside conducting themselves in a loud, unruly and uncivil manner. To me, gentrification will get rid of these type of characters just as it has in other parts of the city that were formerly "hood".
?

Loads of them still live in Harlem, and the Bronx is as packed with social housing. The people who will be squeezed out are those who are too "rich" to benefit from social housing, but who cant afford $3k/month in rent.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I didn't say you won't find a hipsters in the Bronx.

But to say that they will be moving there in large numbers...I don't think there is a high chance.

Yes, I do travel around NYC often.

I didn't say you won't see EBT or WIC signs in parts of Brooklyn. I'm very well aware that you will see them.

regardless, The Bronx is still one of the poorest parts of NYC.

and you are correct because I remember there was a crime of spree of people getting robbed for Iphones at one point in the city.

As for people looking down on poor people, this will always be the case (because many gentrifiers do), as we can't change their prejudiced views or ways. Do I like it...no. But prejudiced people do exist.

I wasn't blaming you or anyone else and I know that even if the Bronx does gentrify it won't be to the level of Williamsburg.
Some parts of the Bronx are the poorest in NYC, actually poverty has decreased in the South Bronx over the years. And to be honest I find the Bronx pretty expensive these days especially how the way it is. It takes time to change neighborhoods and changes do not happen over night. Of course you wont see whites moving in large numbers. Whites did not move in large numbers to Williamsburg, or Bushwick or Bedstuy initially. Gentrification is a long process that takes years. If I'm not mistaken an urbanist thinker Joel Kotkin remembers the East Village started to get yuppie around the 1960s and how many Italians who were low to middle income moved out. It took a good 20-30 years for the East Village to fully gentrify and now its a playground for elites. Even Williamsburg is not fully gentrified. I'd say probably in another ten years Williamsburg can be fully gentrified. Hell I don't even want to see Williamsburg style gentrification in the Bronx but a mix of it would be nice. However I think gentrification does more harm than good for many locals in the community especially those who are uneducated, those that don't own business and or property. Also gentrification creates plenty of poverty with its crappy low wage, no benefit jobs. In order for things to get better in parts of the Bronx, one thing that needs to change is Bronx politics.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Loads of them still live in Harlem, and the Bronx is as packed with social housing. The people who will be squeezed out are those who are too "rich" to benefit from social housing, but who cant afford $3k/month in rent.
Of course there's still alot of them. No one said Harlem was 100% ghetto free. However despite there still being alot of ghetto people in Harlem, the number of them has been decreasing year after year due to gentrification in Harlem. The combination of lesser ghetto people in Harlem combined with a newer non-ghetto demographic moving in, has resulted in a safer, cleaner and more desirable place to live in Harlem compared to years prior before Harlem began to gentrify. Harlem still has a long way to go but at least its headed in the right direction.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Of course there's still alot of them. No one said Harlem was 100% ghetto free. However despite there still being alot of ghetto people in Harlem, the number of them has been decreasing year after year due to gentrification in Harlem. The combination of lesser ghetto people in Harlem combined with a newer non-ghetto demographic moving in, has resulted in a safer, cleaner and more desirable place to live in Harlem compared to years prior before Harlem began to gentrify. Harlem still has a long way to go but at least its headed in the right direction.
Barbra Corcoran the real estate titan, Keeps saying buy buy buy in Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City