Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Thanks Steve. But on relays to NJ you have to wear your seat belt I assume. Do the trucks have airbags?
You have to wear all belts when you are not on or near your route for collection. On relays you must wear you seatbelt at all times except at the dump.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norunner67 View Post
All right guys and gals, I have been following this site since april, i retired 21 yrs ago, now living in Florida. my son is on the new list and they stopped 9 numbers away from his his #. he had his own busines and folded it for lack of work and lost his apartment. he wants to leave NY and come down to florida for a while and work down here. are there any ideas on how he can go back in the spring or summer and get situated again as far as an address. How long must you be a resident to be eligable?? he is keeping his phone number and will be able to get a call from DSNY if it comes. This site is verty informative. When i took the test back in 1965, I had a good job working for the airlines at Kennedy and totally forgot about taking the test. I was laid off 2 years later and took another airline job in the city (which I hated) and within 2 weeks i was called by the DSNY. there was no stress about worrying about all the stuff you guys are worrying about. The city trained us on the trucks and we got the test through the city for free. How things have changed. I will appreciate any help you can give me. REMEMBER, RUNNING wears down your body and you won't feel it until much later in life, plus there is a safety issue, you get careless when you run.. Enjoy your career.
They want proof lived in nyc when you took the exam and when the list started. I also think they want proof you are a resident of nyc when you go to pre employment. I know for a fact they arent going to hire anyone new for at least 2 years. In fact they are talking about layoffs now. Have your son go to fl for a year and then have him move back in 2010. He should be fine. Good luck

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM

136 posts, read 294,019 times
maybe we can make charts now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
They want proof lived in nyc when you took the exam and when the list started. I also think they want proof you are a resident of nyc when you go to pre employment. I know for a fact they arent going to hire anyone new for at least 2 years. In fact they are talking about layoffs now. Have your son go to fl for a year and then have him move back in 2010. He should be fine. Good luck

Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 AM

172 posts, read 448,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the commisioner View Post
maybe we can make charts now

another reason I left!!!! me me me attitude. people are going to be laid off and you're worried about making charts, unreal!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM

243 posts, read 682,030 times
Quote:
where is this information comming from ? regarding the 2 year hold on hiring.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
where is this information comming from ? regarding the 2 year hold on hiring.
From people i know in the union and management.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 370,185 times
Quote:
what about layoffs? are "they" (union and management) actually talking about that to the point where plans can be put in motion soon? or is that just your own personal speculation?

and has anyone heard anything about how DSNY plans to handle the new $91 million budget cut that Bloomberg just ordered?

FDNY Commish is openly talking about possible layoffs, no matter what happens at least they're not being kept in the dark, while all we get is endless rumors about freezes and layoffs from a million different "inside sources"

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 AM

656 posts, read 1,412,418 times
Urgent - winter weather message
national weather service upton ny
502 am est thu dec 18 2008

...significant snowfall possible friday and friday night...

.low pressure now taking shape over the southwestern states will
move out into the highs plains this afternoon...then move across
the ohio valley and pass south of long island friday and friday
night.

Njz005-006-011-nyz072>081-182200-
/o.exa.kokx.ws.a.0004.081219t1100z-081220t0500z/
essex-hudson-union-new york (manhattan)-bronx-
richmond (staten island)-kings (brooklyn)-queens-nassau-
northwestern suffolk-northeastern suffolk-southwestern suffolk-
southeastern suffolk-
502 am est thu dec 18 2008

...winter storm watch in effect from friday morning through
friday evening...

The national weather service in upton has issued a winter storm
watch...which is in effect from friday morning through friday
evening.

Snow is expected to overspread the region friday morning...and
could become heavy at times in the afternoon. The snow may mix
with sleet and rain in the afternoon...especially along the south
shore of long island. There is the potential for snowfall accumulations
of 6 or more inches.

A winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant
snow...sleet...or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:32 AM

243 posts, read 682,030 times
Quote:
well from people I know a lot of people are still getting fired (pot heads crack heads lazy ppl. ect) I'm sure 2yrs is alittle excessive. people still retire every month no matter how the economy is. I even heard of a probee in northern queens who got fired last month after he got banged by the **** truck. so let's see how this plays out rather than just depend on speculation...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
TheKuai is the official weatherman of this thread. I will be listening in on my scanners to the road condition reports as well as the snow removal operations. Yeah add me to the list of DSNY dorks,lol.

I heard that some of the newer collection trucks have the radios(Motorola XTS 2500) in them already, all speaders do as well. New radios have been issued to all supervisors and the sweepers that do the street cleaning have radios installed in them.. the plan includes all collection trucks to have radios as well. I figure the higher ups use nextels and cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City