Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You're an outdated fear monger and sky is falling person from another time. Ronald Reagan, Abe Beame, Koch and Lindsay are DEAD. Never to return.

No one is listening to you nor cares what you think.

Post this same thread in New Jersey, so you and the bridge and tunnel crowd can talk about this nonsense.

You came in here blaming DiBlasio for things that the old man from the prior administration put into affect. If NYC becomes a welfare state, so be it. It still has NOTHING to do with YOU.
I'm sure they're posting similar things in the NJ, LI, Westchester forums. You know how property taxes have tripled in less than twenty years in many suburbs, how gasoline has quadrupled in 15 years. If they can find negatives to say about NYC on an uptrend I'm sure they can find worst things to say about suburbs on the decline. They're probably discussing how they're gonna burn their houses down because they can't pay 45k a year in property tax on a three bedroom house in year 2034, or how it'll cost them $20 in gasoline to go to the supermarket, or for those without natural gas how it cost them 4k a month on oil heat during colder months. They might even be discussing how they'll start burning tires and the best brand of old tires to stock up on that burns the longest and hottest. I merely did a simple extrapolation of the price trends of the last 20 years, I'm sure that they can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
I will never vote for higher office anyone who has any type of oversight of the mta / subway system and does nothing about its deplorable third world country conditions. This now extends to cuomo.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I will never vote for higher office anyone who has any type of oversight of the mta / subway system and does nothing about its deplorable third world country conditions. This now extends to cuomo.
The subway systems in a number of emerging countries like China and India are better maintained and are rapidly expanded. You just insulted Third World Countries by comparing them to that piece of work the MTA. Jay Walder, former CEO of the MTA, left the MTA NYC to head mass transit in HK which is better funded, maintained, plus its CEO gets paid better.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It wasn't always this way. It actually began under Bloomberg. He let it deteriorate into what it is on purpose.

Thank you! This is why it boggles my mind every time I see these "welfare people are sittin' on their asses doing nothing watching the world go by" posts, because it hasn't been that way since Gouliani (spelled this way on purpose) was in office.

Getting welfare in NYC is like basically signing your life over to voluntary servitude for what amounts to a pittance in benefits.
Those people live in fear of the city closing their case at any time. With state and federal cuts, this will occur for a long time. So yes, being on welfare in NYC sucks! Federal cuts really started with Bill Clinton's welfare reform in the 1990s, and have continued every since.

And while its true Bloomberg underfunded NYCHA, so did then Governor Pataki and then President Bush. The cuts to NYCHA continued under Obama who has to deal with a Republican House, and under Cuomo, a pro business Democrat.

I think some posters won't be satisfied until every housing project in NYC is demolished. That will never happen. But life is not being made good for those residents, who deal with cuts in funding while prices for things like food, utilities, and public transportation go up. Soon it won't pay to be in NYCHA or on Section 8 unless you're elderly, disabled, and rarely leave the house.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM

420 posts, read 823,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The subway systems in a number of emerging countries like China and India are better maintained and are rapidly expanded. You just insulted Third World Countries by comparing them to that piece of work the MTA. Jay Walder, former CEO of the MTA, left the MTA NYC to head mass transit in HK which is better funded, maintained, plus its CEO gets paid better.
Oh please. The NYC subway is not terrible. It's not as clean as Tokyo or as comfortable as London, but it is a 24-hour service, which is better than most subway systems in the world can say.

I do not know what you guys expect from public transportation...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Dude the NYC subway system AND service are as embarrassing to NYC as Laguardia airport. Just because it runs 24 hours does not mean it isn't plagued with nonstop delays, problems, filth, decay, and decrepit systems....I would prefer having a 1st rate system that shuts at 2 am and reopens at 5am that runs efficiently, is clean and modern rather than one that simply runs the extra 3 hours but is filthy, plagued with delays, overcrowded, and an overall bad experience.

But to reiterate, in no way, shape, or form, is NYC deteriorating..it is in fact growing and developing massively across the 5 boroughs, and the city is FINALLY investing in all 5 boroughs, and not just specific tourist areas or the usual wealthier districts. There is no more abandonment and almost every neighborhood is now "in play"...and that has only increased during the recession...guess what will happen when the economy starts to really get hot?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Oh please. The NYC subway is not terrible. It's not as clean as Tokyo or as comfortable as London, but it is a 24-hour service, which is better than most subway systems in the world can say.

I do not know what you guys expect from public transportation...
If the NYC subway or mass transit system is not as clean as that of Tokyo's much of the blame lies with New Yorkers themselves. Quite honestly many are simply pigs.

There has always been a litter problem on the NYC subways and buses but there is a new trend. Persons choosing to have full take away meals onboard. Worse when they are finished the either leave containers behind or shove them under the seats. It is no wonder subway cars and buses are now seeing rodent problems.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
Granting retroactive active pay to the unions could empty the city coffers!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Granting retroactive active pay to the unions could empty the city coffers!
Maybe, then again maybe not. It all depends upon how things are done.

City can easily grant retroactive wage increases and perhaps decent raises if unions make concessions. Things like increasing or starting contributions to healthcare, changing work rules, allowing new hires in certain cases to have a different set of benefits, and so it goes.

Like other major cities and states civil servants have gotten their pound of flesh out of taxpayers in two ways. One that is immediate (wage increases), and the other baked into the cake to be taken later (benefits and other in kind compensation). As any employer knows wages are only part of the cost involving employees. The bigger picture involves entire compensation which often doubles or triples the entire package value.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Dude the NYC subway system AND service are as embarrassing to NYC as Laguardia airport. Just because it runs 24 hours does not mean it isn't plagued with nonstop delays, problems, filth, decay, and decrepit systems....I would prefer having a 1st rate system that shuts at 2 am and reopens at 5am that runs efficiently, is clean and modern rather than one that simply runs the extra 3 hours but is filthy, plagued with delays, overcrowded, and an overall bad experience.

But to reiterate, in no way, shape, or form, is NYC deteriorating..it is in fact growing and developing massively across the 5 boroughs, and the city is FINALLY investing in all 5 boroughs, and not just specific tourist areas or the usual wealthier districts. There is no more abandonment and almost every neighborhood is now "in play"...and that has only increased during the recession...guess what will happen when the economy starts to really get hot?
The trains are efficient. Delays are mostly caused by train traffic. I agree with the poster above, most people around the world envy the 24 hour service of the MTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City