Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:04 AM

154 posts, read 259,981 times

Advertisements

I am dealing with this problem too. However, in my case it is EVERYDAY after 7:30 pm approximately. It is very, very strong, so strong it goes in my living room and hallway, only way to keep it out of the rooms is by closing the doors. Now, the only reason why I have not approached the neighbor is because I don't know who it is! The smell comes in through the air vent that is near my kitchen, I do not know where exactly it is filtering from. I contacted the landlord and they said it might be the apartment above me or the one below me. They said they would send both of them notices (as they have done before to the whole building) that this is not allowed. If it continues I will approach both neighbors and try to work it out. I am aware that a little pot smell is practically to be expected in some buildings in NYC but this is a really, really strong smell and it is every single day. Most importantly, I have 4 children under the age of 12 and all at one point or another have asked me what is that smell and have been bothered by it. I understand that they will be exposed to drugs sooner or later but I do not think it should be this early and in their own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
If they go for legalization, then great, I will push for the restriction of smoking in communal areas and buildings, such as apartment complexes, and non-detached townhouses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Never going to happen- if you don't like it do not live in such structures.
Absolutely.

I'm all for legalization BUT your liberty to do whatever you want with your body ends when you infringe on the liberty of another person not smell or inhale something they have not agreed to.

Smoking -whatever it is- should be done only in open air spaces.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I have some neighbors that cook with alot of garlic (or something similar). Stinks my place up pretty bad sometimes. How do I deal with this? Ask them not to cook? Personally I'd rather smell reefer smoke.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,778 times
Since the smell was a vaguely different to regular marijuana, I invited my raver friend to come smell, and stay the night.

He said it smells like crack cocaine and marijuana, what do I do now?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM

101 posts, read 116,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Bunch of nerds getting their panties in the twist about a little marijuana smell. The smell of cigarettes is a lot worse
BorninNYC, I neither smoke pot or cigs, and before you go and say that I'm some lame stiff i also think it should be legalized. However just because some people love it not all people do, and some people think the odor is vile..myself included. Just as I have respect for people who enjoy pot I expect them to have the same respect for me for loathing it's odor.

Consideration goes both ways.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:26 PM

101 posts, read 116,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
They started smoking at 7:30PM today, whilst the quality and smell was better than before, it will more potent and affected my living room, and I can still smell it now in my office. I'm sick to the back teeth of this. They're going to start doing this on a daily basis.
Annoymous, and please be honest..are you more concerned with what you are smelling or the fact they are smoking pot? If you didn't smell it at all yet you knew they were doing it, would it still bother you?

If it isn't the later than really..diplomacy is in order. I've been an apartment dweller long enough to know that no matter how much you hate one neighbor you may find that you may need them (or they you) for bigger the problems the building faces.

If I were in your position...I'd introduce myself, if they were new I'd say welcome to the building and "Hey bud, I would never tell a person what to do or not to do in their own home..but the smell is killing me in my apartment. Would it be possible to get a fan to blow outside the window to help?" and you know what, if he doesn't have the funds and you do, go buy a 20 dollar window fan...it may solve your problem, a problem for new and old neighbors suffering the same thing and you will be a hero to the building.

A few friends I got who smoke pot would agree with this completely. The ones who I know who do it, even regularly are not the lazy inconsiderate jobless morons that the media portrays them to be..as a matter of fact I feel kind of guilty generalizing them as if they had to be "understood"

Some folks smoke pot to relax, I enjoy playing video games in my apartment, some folks like to jerk off to commemorative spoon collecting magazines. Peace to all, respect to all.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOver View Post
Annoymous, and please be honest..are you more concerned with what you are smelling or the fact they are smoking pot? If you didn't smell it at all yet you knew they were doing it, would it still bother you?

If it isn't the later than really..diplomacy is in order. I've been an apartment dweller long enough to know that no matter how much you hate one neighbor you may find that you may need them (or they you) for bigger the problems the building faces.

If I were in your position...I'd introduce myself, if they were new I'd say welcome to the building and "Hey bud, I would never tell a person what to do or not to do in their own home..but the smell is killing me in my apartment. Would it be possible to get a fan to blow outside the window to help?" and you know what, if he doesn't have the funds and you do, go buy a 20 dollar window fan...it may solve your problem, a problem for new and old neighbors suffering the same thing and you will be a hero to the building.

A few friends I got who smoke pot would agree with this completely. The ones who I know who do it, even regularly are not the lazy inconsiderate jobless morons that the media portrays them to be..as a matter of fact I feel kind of guilty generalizing them as if they had to be "understood"

Some folks smoke pot to relax, I enjoy playing video games in my apartment, some folks like to jerk off to commemorative spoon collecting magazines. Peace to all, respect to all.
If they were smoking pot and the smell didn't come through, then fine, IDGAF about what you take in your own place as long as it doesn't affect me.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Update:

It's everyday now. From 8am til 3am. The entire floor smells of it. It's not even nice smelling MJ. It's like really really horrible smelling...

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have been as adjudicated if it was high-quality and didn't smell like dirt. I am wondering if it is just pot that they're smoking.

I have stoner friends. My parents were. And it doesn't smell like pot alone, my friend has yet to come over and identify it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM

146 posts, read 190,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I have some neighbors that cook with alot of garlic (or something similar). Stinks my place up pretty bad sometimes. How do I deal with this? Ask them not to cook? Personally I'd rather smell reefer smoke.
Exactly!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:23 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Another reason why I'm happy I moved to LI and bought a house. No more dealing with BS like this. When I was living in Bklyn a neighbor of mine used to constantly smoke weed and cigarettes. The weed didn't bother me much but the cigarettes were annoying. Especially when it was a nice day and you had your windows open. I'd have to close the windows. It was a drag.

There really is not much you can do about this. Either deal with it or move. Yes it sucks but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: