Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:28 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times

Advertisements

If you are so worried about all these considerations (and they are valid considerations), you'll probably be sooo stressed out that you won't enjoy your stay. What is the difference between the cost of the Days Inn Morrisania and the Days inn (Manhattan???? Is there one???). If the stress you suffer is worth more to you than the difference in cost, then maybe you should book in Manhattan. But that's your utility function, and no one else can make the decision for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So my trip I've been planning is pretty much set in stone now. I'll be flying into Laguardia in 3 weeks, spending the first 2 days in Connecticut with family, and the remaining 3 with my girlfriend who will be on spring break. She's from Highbridge in the Bronx

I booked a hotel room at the Days Inn on Brook Avenue in the Bronx. My gf told me that neighborhood is called Morrisania. and that its the rowdiest part of the borough. Not doing enough research, I found out that the Days Inn "Yankee Stadium" is actually a mile away

My only experiences with the Bronx have been just what I could see off the Cross Bronx Expwy, the Deegan Expwy, and the Throgs Neck bridge. Certain, more "well-off" family members of mine from CT have told me that going to the Bronx would make me "a target" because I'm white, and that if I walked down the streets with my gf, who is Latina that it would makes things worse because it would aggravate the local residents

Is the area around this hotel alright? I'm sure if my gf and I minded our own business nobody would bother us right? I think my older brother who said all that was exaggerating a bit. Is this hotel close to a subway too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Lets get real here. There are still quite a few white people living and working in the Bronx. It saddens me to see that there are still people who think that it is unsafe for white people to be on the streets of the Bronx. Really? In 2014?
And it's this STIGMA that deters middle class white folks from moving to the Bronx despite the cheaper housing prices compared to the other boroughs. We as Bronxites have to help change that perception if we want the Bronx to prosper. The fear factor is still in effect despite the Bronx being a much more safe borough to live in from decades past.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
My Dad was mugged by minorities when he worked for the MTA. Our apt was broken into by minorities (neighbor across the street saw it and called the cops). My cousins very much used car was vandalized in the South Bronx when he went to an employment office for about an hour (neighborhood was a minority neighborhood. What is the common thread? There is much truth is what Liberals would like to characterize as merely urban myth. Of note, it was likely not middle class minorities. Many of those fine folks shared our values.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
My Dad was mugged by minorities when he worked for the MTA. Our apt was broken into by minorities (neighbor across the street saw it and called the cops). My cousins very much used car was vandalized in the South Bronx when he went to an employment office for about an hour (neighborhood was a minority neighborhood. What is the common thread? There is much truth is what Liberals would like to characterize as merely urban myth. Of note, it was likely not middle class minorities. Many of those fine folks shared our values.
Yep, you speak the truth but the liberals are not trying to hear that. They'll claim its a blanket statement or they'll claim for other reasons other than the real reason as to why the Bronx became more dangerous as the demographics changed from white to colored folks. The hard headed never learn.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I totally understand Webster Ave Guy. My dad was chased by a gang of whites for getting off at the "wrong" train stop. My cousins were attacked with bats by whites for walking in the "wrong" neighborhood. My uncle went to a white neighborhood for a job interview and his car was vandalized within an hour. What is the common thread? There is much truth in what people would like to believe that racism hasn't existed in 40 years. Of note, it was probably working/middle class whites..they are the ones that feel the most irrationally threatened by people of color.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
I'm pretty certain close to nothing will happen to you but seriously, you could have chose a MUCH better area. You could have stayed in Z Hotel, Ravel Hotel, Windham Hotel, Vetiver all in Long Island City, Queens. Heck, even the Yotel in hells kitchen would be a much better suit and you probably wouldn't pay that much more than what you're paying in the Bronx and you can probably get promos for it.

Personally, I'd pay a little more money than be in that crap area of the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City