Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,248,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
finishing my Bachelor's degree. ...
have only a three credit course to complete until I finish my associate's degree
Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM

21 posts, read 30,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm going to be real with you here. If you finish school from an accredited college or institution here in NYC from some no name or a very unpopular or underrated college like CUNY and to a lesser extent SUNY, my best bet is for you to move out of NYC and seek employment instead of staying in NYC and dealing with the competitive everyday rat race.
I graduated from Hunter and am doing just fine.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,153,184 times
I would suggest start going to nationwide job sites and sending out resumes based on your estimated graduation date. See if you get any bites.

Salaries will be tend to be smaller than what a New Yorker would expect, but keep in mind the cost of living will be generally much cheaper too. You mention the cost of a car - outside of NY and NJ, the cost of registering a vehicle and insurance for it is a fraction of what it is here in NYC, but it will probably be a welcome necessity, as vehicles not only get you to work, but to some wonderful recreation as well. Rents and other things are also much cheaper usually.

It will take time and research and thought.

Networking is your best bet whether you stay or go, so the sooner you start making friends and connections the better. Gathering suggestions from family and friends, here and around the country, can lend valueable assistance in your quest - MOST notably if you end up staying in NYC. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,704,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm a 23 year old college student, I'm attending an online college (under SUNY) finishing my Bachelor's degree. I've heard a lot of stories that New York is becoming expensive to live in, I've lived in Queens for pretty much my entire life. I'm wondering once I finish my BA degree if I should move out to another state. I was offered a job (temp position) in an office through a job training program. I decided to hold off on it until I at least finish my Associate's degree first because it looks a lot better on a resume than nothing at all. I love New York City, I volunteer most of the time but I'm not too big on the social life, especially with people my age. I'm currently doing an internship that allows me to work from home. I have only a three credit course to complete until I finish my associate's degree, once I'm done with that, I decided to take the temp job, and save my money up.

I wanted to ask if the stories about NYC being expensive are true, which boroughs have the least expensive apartments? I prefer not living with others ( done it before, worst experience ever) and I like my space and privacy while doing work. Any help would be appreciated!
If you're looking for a new fresh environment and somewhere to start new then I would say leave. I'm sure plenty of people know that the job market is competitive in New York City. Just some advice, a degree from a top school doesn't guarantee a great job or career. Some people have great "connections" or networks, while others work tooth and nail for their great jobs, and some people just out of pure luck. Nonetheless, you can get a masters degree to compete with job hunters from top schools. Bronx has the least expensive apartments.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM

244 posts, read 707,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Which is it?
Sorry for taking so long getting back to you, I've been fairly busy. I'm getting my B.A. in Digital Marketing and taking Computer Information courses on the side such as C++. I'm also taking a Public Relations course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City