Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now why does this not surprise me?

Question is where to you find funeral expenses <$1,700?
There's another option that many don't consider, which doesn't cost them a thing: donating your body to science upon your death.

My mother is choosing this route. Assuming your cadaver is usable, it can go to a medical school or other scientific facility. They handle all of the costs and your later given the ashes if you want them.

It saves you the thousands of dollars associated with a traditional funeral and it helps further society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
It really is insane...I just paid for my grandmother's pre-need burial arrangements...to cremate her, and place her in an urn and in a "niche" (which is basically a little place where the put your ashes in the cemetery and inscribe your name) cost almost $7,000. This is with NO funeral.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
If so many are having a hard time just living in NYC, what is going to happen when they pass on? IIRC the average funeral in NYC runs about 8K to 10K minimum. That one assumes is for a very bare bones affair and does not cover the costs of a cemetery plot.
Arranging a Funeral or Cremation in New York
The US coffin business is a disgusting racket

Thankfully these days you can now order a very nice coffin for dirt cheap straight from china

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
It really is insane...I just paid for my grandmother's pre-need burial arrangements...to cremate her, and place her in an urn and in a "niche" (which is basically a little place where the put your ashes in the cemetery and inscribe your name) cost almost $7,000. This is with NO funeral.
They are making you subsidize 500 years of lawn care for the people that get buried instead of cremated

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The US coffin business is a disgusting racket

Thankfully these days you can now order a very nice coffin for dirt cheap straight from china

They are making you subsidize 500 years of lawn care for the people that get buried instead of cremated
It's crazy! But the one good thing was that we were able to get her a niche right next to my grandfather's...so they will be together.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I ordered a direct cremation for my mother.
Undertaker charged $800 for pickup, cremation and ashes delivery to me.

That's the way I will go too.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I ordered a direct cremation for my mother.
Undertaker charged $800 for pickup, cremation and ashes delivery to me.

That's the way I will go too.
I haven't given it much thought myself but that way makes a lot of sense. You're not wasting earth's real estate permanently and saving the family money that could be better spent.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I haven't given it much thought myself but that way makes a lot of sense. You're not wasting earth's real estate permanently and saving the family money that could be better spent.
With burial real estate in NYC and the surrounding area tight and costly many persons are choosing cremation. It just makes sense on so many levels unless you have the funds for perpetual care. Even so there is no promise that the cemetery will be around one hundred years or so later. We all probably know of at least one abandoned cemetery scattered about.

No new cemeteries IIRC have been opened in NYC for years. Those that exist are filling up fast, with persons also having to choose Long Island, New Jersey or even Westchester to find space.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If you are poor, a $10,000 funeral was never going to happen whether you were 95 years old or doe suddenly in a freak accident at 35. The answer is not to beg government for money, an urn and ashes cost $800 bucks and affordable enough for a bunch of family/friends to bring pool money together and afford. The $1,700 above is plenty....besides..YOU have nothing to worry about anymore...you are dead! It's everyone else's problem so who cares.

Worry about living in NYC, not dying!
LOL...goddamn bro...FUEGO!!!FUEGO!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Kefir is right...when my grandmother passed my father/uncle/aunts didn't have 2 nickels between them, so they took a collection from anyone and everyone, gathered $800 bucks and got her cremated and urn. So why is everyone spending $8,000-$10,000? No need to...I'd rather get cremated for $800 and spend the extra $8,000 that would have gone to a depressing funeral and coffin on a great party with top shelf open bar, food, and a DJ for people to celebrate my life...not death!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
With burial real estate in NYC and the surrounding area tight and costly many persons are choosing cremation. It just makes sense on so many levels unless you have the funds for perpetual care. Even so there is no promise that the cemetery will be around one hundred years or so later. We all probably know of at least one abandoned cemetery scattered about.

No new cemeteries IIRC have been opened in NYC for years. Those that exist are filling up fast, with persons also having to choose Long Island, New Jersey or even Westchester to find space.
They should eventually turn the cemeteries into parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: