Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,760,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Probably got outpriced and outclassed by gentrifiers and couldn't keep up.
Unlikely, more likely is he's a teenager living in his mother's apartment and has never worked a day in his life. His entire world view comes from reading City-Data.com

Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,339,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Bushwick is like Bed Stuy. It's a fairly large and diverse area. It's definitely not a yuppie eclave at this point...mostly just decent working class people.
Not sure I'm ready yet to classify Bushwick as a decent working class neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,274,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Mike View Post
My neighborhood of Greenpoint has been taken over by these artsy Midwestern types with their parent subsidized lifestyles. Shows like Girls have only accelerated this where over privileged Midwestern girls and guys on estrogen coming to the big bad city armed with their liberal arts degrees. All of the Polish businesses that gave Greenpoint its flare are being forced out in favor of businesses that cater to the tastes of the invaders. These businesses won't even hire natives who refuse to conform to the style they are trying to sell. So the kids have to try and "protect" these businesses. However the NYPD has decided that these businesses are better to protect than Polish businesses. These woman walk the streets in their sunglasses scared of any guy who doesn't act like them. They call the cops on our parties. Hell some Lena Dunham wannabe called the cops on me because my Mustang was too loud for her. They won't even buy Polish weed they go to Williamsburg for that because they are too scared of us. Making it hard to survive for us survive in our own neighborhood plus with the property taxes I might be driven out of my home. I was satisfied giving the invaders Williamsburg and Park Slope.But that is not enough for them they expand into any vulnerable neighborhood. They are like Hitler and Putin nothing is good enough for them.
I don't know if I would use the word "flare". But I see your point.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,354,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They have not completely taken Bushwick. But the RE people know it will happen, and have bought everything available up.
Not completely, the area to the east of Maria Hernandez Park and between the Seneca Avenue stop are still ungentrified

It's actually kinda strange, if you look at the area on Google Maps, to the west of the park there are "The Jefferson Street Thrift Shop", "Sushi & Noodles" and "goodyoga Bushwick". To the blocks east of the park there are "Fortunato's Pizza", "Mesa Azteca", "La Foca Taqueria" and "Circo's Pastry Shop". Interesting example of a cultural divide

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM

38 posts, read 36,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Unlikely, more likely is he's a teenager living in his mother's apartment and has never worked a day in his life. His entire world view comes from reading City-Data.com
I'm 17 and there aren't any real jobs, all the businesses here only hire hipsters or fresh off the boat Poles who overstay their visas and work for less than minimum wage. A couple of my friends tried to protect the new businesses however the owners just called the cops. Its ridiculous any self respecting New Yorker would pay protection.There is also no drug market because they are frightened of us so they go buy from their fellow hipsters in Williamsburg. The invaders are even taking the drug trade from us. Then a couple of kids considered robbing these businesses out of desperation but backed out when they figured the NYPD would go to the ends of the earth to solve crimes against gentrifiers.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I'm 17 and there aren't any real jobs, all the businesses here only hire hipsters or fresh off the boat Poles who overstay their visas and work for less than minimum wage. A couple of my friends tried to protect the new businesses however the owners just called the cops. Its ridiculous any self respecting New Yorker would pay protection.There is also no drug market because they are frightened of us so they go buy from their fellow hipsters in Williamsburg. The invaders are even taking the drug trade from us. Then a couple of kids considered robbing these businesses out of desperation but backed out when they figured the NYPD would go to the ends of the earth to solve crimes against gentrifiers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/ma...3trolls-t.html

Internet trolls are also real-life trolls | Jordan Gaines Lewis | Science | theguardian.com

Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,339,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Circo's Pastry Shop
Good cannoli.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 AM

So anyone who questions gentrification is a troll?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
So anyone who questions gentrification is a troll?
sorry for posting your picture dude, I wasn't thinking

Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
sorry for posting your picture dude, I wasn't thinking
Not funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City