Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,044,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I heard the average now is, like $2,400/mo. Back in 08' it was $800/mo, but things have changed.
You would pay $2400 to live in under 300 sf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,044,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wonder how long even the artsy-est artist could mentally endure such an Orwellian existence. I couldn't spend 5 minutes in a place like that without feeling like a complete loser.
Neither could I, especially if I was spending anything over $2400 to live in such a place.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,758,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wonder how long even the artsy-est artist could mentally endure such an Orwellian existence. I couldn't spend 5 minutes in a place like that without feeling like a complete loser.
Take a peak at what's possible:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ikea...paces&tbm=isch

Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 824,745 times
What is up with you guys and attracting more people to live here, especially creative (read: unemployed) types? This city is jam-packed as it is, and despite exorbitant housing costs, thousands of people flock here to live every day.

Microapartments re trash. If you can't afford Manhattan solo, get a roommate or live in the boroughs. No reason to live in a 100 square foot apartment; these are pretty much the conditions that everyone 100+ years ago in NYC and today in China, SE Asia, etc. all try to get out of, and here you guys are willingly trying to live in these conditions...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
What is up with you guys and attracting more people to live here, especially creative (read: unemployed) types? This city is jam-packed as it is, and despite exorbitant housing costs, thousands of people flock here to live every day. and here you guys are willingly trying to live in these conditions...
Because eventually you'll just end up with a city full of lawyers & bankers

There needs to be a way for a more diverse demographic to come here

Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Because eventually you'll just end up with a city full of lawyers & bankers

There needs to be a way for a more diverse demographic to come here
"Eventually?" Really? So can you explain all the gentrifying hipsters in Greenpoint and Williamsburg who run fair trade coffee shops and crappy art galleries?

No matter what, people of all backgrounds will come here. You guys really make this sound like some Marxist recipe of haves and have nots where you're gonna have some Monopoly man paving his streets in gold while down the street are 10 million starving children. That's not the way the city works.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
"Eventually?" Really? So can you explain all the gentrifying hipsters in Greenpoint and Williamsburg who run fair trade coffee shops and crappy art galleries?
We're talking about manhattan here, but yes eventually those hipsters are also going to be displaced by bankers and lawyers

Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
We're talking about manhattan here, but yes eventually those hipsters are also going to be displaced by bankers and lawyers
Just saying in general for the city, but same thing can be said about the LES and EV. There is always some outlet, even in Manhattan. Not saying gentrification is good at all (I despise it more than I like it), but it cleans up fairly uninhabitable areas (EV, LES in the 70s-90s, etc.). But microapartments are not the solution to any problem. You're just encouraging greed from real estate companies to your own benefit (which definitely s fine, but let's not complain about bankers, lawyers, and other professional types strangling the city...) and a host of psychological problems that come with living in a 100sq. foot apartment.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM

338 posts, read 678,065 times
Quote:
What is up with you guys and attracting more people to live here, especially creative (read: unemployed) types? This city is jam-packed as it is, and despite exorbitant housing costs, thousands of people flock here to live every day.

Microapartments re trash. If you can't afford Manhattan solo, get a roommate or live in the boroughs. No reason to live in a 100 square foot apartment; these are pretty much the conditions that everyone 100+ years ago in NYC and today in China, SE Asia, etc. all try to get out of, and here you guys are willingly trying to live in these conditions...

I repeat WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH. If other people like that product, they will buy it; if it's "trash," it won't sell and it ends there. I don't get why you are angrily shouting this down.

DON'T LIVE THERE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. See how easy that is? The one person these apartments will affect is the tenant. And frankly it sounds like you're trying to police the demographics of the city with your weird "creative (read: unemployed)" comment. You're just stoking drama. Stop clutching your pearls--if developers can find a way to make money serving the needs of those who cannot afford bigger apartments, they will. The city's flexible like that.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You're just encouraging greed from real estate companies to your own benefit (which definitely s fine, but let's not complain about bankers, lawyers, and other professional types strangling the city...) and a host of psychological problems that come with living in a 100sq. foot apartment.
Hardly, on the rental side microapartments are not attractive to real estate companies. You get similar rents per square foot but have the headache to deal with significantly more tenants. On the sales side they are only slightly more interesting because they can sell the units and be done with them, but you have to close many more sales.

And just because you can't deal with a small apartment, does not mean others can't. Don't project your shortcomings on others. I would suggest you take a walk through Ikea Brooklyn to get an idea of what's possible in a small configuration. Obviously it's tight, but for many people they just need a place to sleep, wash, & keep some stuff. Most of their lives at this stage is geared towards socializing and career building. By the time they want a family they will no longer be living there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City