Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM

290 posts, read 366,645 times

Advertisements

It's true, it's shrinking. I used to love visiting Little Italy as a kid, then as a teenager and young adult, but each time I came back it was smaller and smaller. Now it's the smallest I've ever seen it, and I think someday it will be gone completely.

I think a couple other people mentioned the Bronx. I was planning on taking my wife out to Arthur Ave. for our upcoming anniversary. Is it worth it? Any restaurants worth checking out? She is Cuban-Italian but identifies more strongly with the Italian side, and I want to take her someplace that reminds her of her grandparent's southern Italian cooking. (She also grew up on Long Island and probably knows the city a lot better than me, but this is a surprise so obviously, I can't ask her.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
It's true, it's shrinking. I used to love visiting Little Italy as a kid, then as a teenager and young adult, but each time I came back it was smaller and smaller. Now it's the smallest I've ever seen it, and I think someday it will be gone completely.

I think a couple other people mentioned the Bronx. I was planning on taking my wife out to Arthur Ave. for our upcoming anniversary. Is it worth it? Any restaurants worth checking out? She is Cuban-Italian but identifies more strongly with the Italian side, and I want to take her someplace that reminds her of her grandparent's southern Italian cooking. (She also grew up on Long Island and probably knows the city a lot better than me, but this is a surprise so obviously, I can't ask her.)
Definitely worth it. Check out Yelp.com. Look for The Bronx, and then the Belmont neighborhood.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:25 PM

774 posts, read 906,448 times
Mario's?

Roberto's?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Little Italy on the brink of "extinction"? Yea and what of it?

So is Yorkville (German and Hungarian)
Five Points/Hell's Kitchen (Irish)
Spanish Harlem (Puerto Rican)
Bushwick (German)
Lower East Side (Jewish)

And so it goes.

Ethnic enclaves in various parts of NYC have declined and or changed over the years in response to shifting demographics, nothing new here folks.

In many of these areas you found two particular patterns; persons moved up and out were replaced by new immigrants arriving in NYC from the old country and went where they could find family or at least persons of their own background.

Many may wax nostalgic for those old tenements on the LES and Little Italy but plenty of families couldn't wait to move out.

It also must be remembered that many of the residents of LES, Little Italy, even the West Village were employed in what was once the large and thriving manufacturing, shipping and other forms of commerce down there. Much if not most of all that is long gone.

In contrast, the Chinatowns in major north american cities like VC, SF, LA, NYC etc continue to thrive and expand for ever. I wonder why...

Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxguy718 View Post
LMAO

Good point...why isn't there a Little Italy in Staten Island? It would make perfect sense.
I guess the ppl (italian immigrants) who created little italies have mostly retired or passed away and their children (italian americans) do not have the skill/will to live any italian-style of lives but to live like regular americans.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Chinatowns ... expand ... I wonder why ...
A federal policy that permits massive Asian immigration & a thriving smuggling industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
italian immigrants ... have mostly retired or passed away
A federal policy discouraging European immigration & a low birth rate in Italy.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Last weekend I had a $4 ice cream cone at famed FERRARA. What did it taste like ? Like supermarket brand ice cream. There was nothing italian about it. I've had some very good italian sorbets and gelato and this wasn't it.

Good Riddance.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 AM

438 posts, read 653,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Last weekend I had a $4 ice cream cone at famed FERRARA. What did it taste like ? Like supermarket brand ice cream. There was nothing italian about it. I've had some very good italian sorbets and gelato and this wasn't it.

Good Riddance.
That 'Italian' gelato, like everything else these days, probably came out of a box marked 'made in China'.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM

143 posts, read 298,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because a few things, yes the Chinese have surrounded Little Italy and will no doubt swoop in once those properties are up for sale.

But, most Americans these days just won't pay the prices some of the Little Italy eatery charges. I went to Little Italy on restaurant week and every restaurant have their Prefix menu posted but most of them are empty. While Chinatown was packed with tourists on the other side mainly because tourists love fake handbags and cheap food.

Majority of Americans rather eat at Olive Garden than go to a real Italian restaurant and rather eat mass-market delivery pizza than from a local Italian pizzeria.

That's a shame. Sad really.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
People say many Italians move from BK to SI. Where is the new Little Italy in Staten Island?
Everything south of the SI Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City