Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times

Advertisements

My local UPS delivery man told me they don't hire additional workers during the busy delivery season and they expect all workers to have everything stuffed in their truck delivered by end of business day.

He used to stop by my house late in the afternoon but started coming later because he has so much work and very little time for lunch or break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Wow, and I just applied for the very same UPS a few weeks ago.
You may be getting a call soon then

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM

8,698 posts, read 11,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My local UPS delivery man told me they don't hire additional workers during the busy delivery season and they expect all workers to have everything stuffed in their truck delivered by end of business day.

so all the media reports about hiring 50,000 seasonal UPS workers is full of hot air?

Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

He used to stop by my house late in the afternoon but started coming later because he has so much work and very little time for lunch or break.
That is not true, not by a long shot.

Not only does UPS hire "extra" workers during the holiday season (Thanksgiving through Christmas), it also contracts some work out as well.

Our UPS driver has one or even two extra helpers with him during this period and has done so for years. The various UPS depots such as the one on 11th Avenue also take on additional workers.

It could be such staffing decisions are decided upon by management based upon work load. So if you live out in the boonies and or it was determined the increased work did not warrant your driver getting help, there you are.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,411,618 times
that sux.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,298,793 times
Just further confirmation of my theory that the world sucks. Unions - greedy. Management - greedy. Sounds like a horrible place to work. Work till you drop and then we'll find someone else to do the job, profits profits profits UPS doesn't give anyone a break here meanwhile they get all kinds of breaks from NYC. Corporate Welfare!

Not saying these workers were in the right either, in fact it was pretty damn stupid of them. Meanwhile UPS fires a guy for eating an orange. AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Just further confirmation of my theory that the world sucks. Unions - greedy. Management - greedy. Sounds like a horrible place to work. Work till you drop and then we'll find someone else to do the job, profits profits profits UPS doesn't give anyone a break here meanwhile they get all kinds of breaks from NYC. Corporate Welfare!

Not saying these workers were in the right either, in fact it was pretty damn stupid of them. Meanwhile UPS fires a guy for eating an orange. AHHHHH!!!!!!!
Well cannot speak to the bulk of your post but the UPS drivers we know do well enough form themselves considering the job does not require a college degree. Mind you being out in all kinds of weather five days a week hauling a hundred or so pounds of packages daily isn't everyone's gig. UPS drivers we know own homes in good parts of NYC and NJ also otherwise lead very good lives. I'd take UPS over USPS any day of the week.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,309,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Disgusting. UPS got *horrible* publicity the last time their workers struck in the late '90s--the story was nationwide news. Have they learned nothing?

This is why most companies prefer FedEx even if they are mroe expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Fedex is not union i believe.
FEDEX is worse when it comes to how they treat and pay the Express couriers. FEDEX Express used to be a great company to work for. Not so much since 2003 when they changed the pay scales. Freight drivers do better, but are driving tractor trailers. Since they aren't union they can do whatever they want.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC those mainly are FedEx ground employees. IIRC in some areas of the USA FedEx Ground routes are bided out to drivers that are independent contractors.
All FEDEX ground, Home Delivery and Custom Critical are owned by single owner operators or fleet owners.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
UPS drivers work hard. Never seen one that was overweight. Same with FedEx.
When U was working there I was in much better shape. I was also younger & in the gym 4-6 times a week before my shift.

Now not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City