Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM

67 posts, read 145,204 times

Advertisements

I've never been excited about spending a lot of money about seeing a Broadway performance. I'm not even a big Broadway buff, but I'd like to take my wife on a date and see something more....mainstream. Something like

Rent
Lion King
Oliver Twist
Phantom of the Opera
Or even a musical sampling of Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest hits

Something with years or even decades of history that most Americans would have at least heard of - you get the point.

1. How much do people pay for decent seats if money is no object?
2. How much do the normal pay? I refuse to pay $200 a ticket for a 2 hour show. For that kind of money, I could have gone to friggin Disneyland for two days and eaten snacks!

3. How can I get tickets for cheap? Is there an online web site like Fandango for Broadway that lists specials? Or do I have to line up at some booth and take whatever plays/tickets are available? Are there some last-minute specials where everything is 35% off like they do with cruise ships? Or is it more like an airline where the tickets are more expensive the later you book?

*I am willing to wait a long time (up to 12 months) to see the plays of my choice if it means I'm saving some bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Rent isn't on broadway anymore, Lion king doesn't do discounted tickets, not sure about the others you were interested in.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM

67 posts, read 145,204 times
TKTS Discount Booths

I just found this "TKTS" booth on the internet. Do people know what plays are going to sold before they show up that day, or do you just have to go there and look at the listings on a day-to-day basis?

Old 04-05-2014, 07:30 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
I'd like to see more shakespeare

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
Rent
Lion King
Oliver Twist
Phantom of the Opera
Or even a musical sampling of Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest hits
I don’t mean to be a snob, but these are tourist shows. They’re designed to lure tourist who pay dearly for them. There are much cheaper ways of seeing shows on Broadway, but they’re usually for lesser-known (though arguably much better) shows.

I suggest coming to the city for the weekend. Plan other things to do. Do some research on a variety of shows that might interest you, and then go to TKTS on the day of the performance and see what you can get. If you absolutely must see The Lion King on a particular night it will cost you.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I don’t mean to be a snob, but these are tourist shows. They’re designed to lure tourist who pay dearly for them. There are much cheaper ways of seeing shows on Broadway, but they’re usually for lesser-known (though arguably much better) shows.

I suggest coming to the city for the weekend. Plan other things to do. Do some research on a variety of shows that might interest you, and then go to TKTS on the day of the performance and see what you can get. If you absolutely must see The Lion King on a particular night it will cost you.
That doesn't even make sense saying they are tourist shows...No they are well put together plays that don't need to sell discounted tickets because they sell out regarding how much tickets they are. You are paying to see a show that has amazing acting, costumes, and is entertaining. Just like seeing a concert or the opera.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
TKTS Discount Booths

I just found this "TKTS" booth on the internet. Do people know what plays are going to sold before they show up that day, or do you just have to go there and look at the listings on a day-to-day basis?
You need to go there on the day of the show and see what listings are available for that particular day.

Also check out your local NYC public library. Sometimes at the information desks they have little bookmark size flyers that give discounts to certain Broadway shows.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Here's some good information:
TDF Theatre 101

(TDF is the same organization that runs the Ticket booth and the online discount ticket service. Cost is $30 per year and their are some requirements for membership. Once a member you have access to a very large list that changes hour by hour. But you cannot get tickets for something too far in the future.)

Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 AM

191 posts, read 220,755 times
i wouldn't go to bway show if they pay me to do it... but anyway check with your employers and or unions, sometimes they get discounts for bway shows.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
TKTS. Theatermania.com. Stubhub. corporate theatre fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: