Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is one of those times when people who have no concept of what it's like living in NYC should just stay out of the discussion.
I completely agree with you. There is always some self righteous tool that has no idea what its like to deal with a nasty, smelly, disgusting drug addict bum and tries to make people feel bad for not helping them. In this case convextech is implying that u let him into your house and let him take a bath. Yeah OK. And what happens when the bum tries to rob you or harm you if u don't give them money or drugs? These bums want one thing and one thing only, money for drugs and liquor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
convextech,
I have thought of the same thing...letting someone bathe in my place. But I have never gone through with it for many reasons like
1. Do I then have to provide him with new clothes...you cannot have a clean body re-dress in the same molding clothes.
2. Do I feed him...how many meals.
3. How do I say "Now it's time to clear out...Game of Thrones is coming on."
4. Do I have to give him cash?
See what I mean? I don't want to ADOPT someone.

I think cities should reinstitute public baths. If it was good enough for Rome, it should be good enough for New York.

But let me ask you. Have you ever let a homeless person bathe at your place?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you were a really caring person, you might consider letting the guy come in and take a bath. Homeless people are still people. They have just fallen down on hard times.

If you feel uncomfortable allowing him into your home, maybe offer to give him a ride to the local shelter?
I was attacked by a homeless man once no way in hell am I letting one in my home. But if you tell me your address I will go around the city and every homeless person i see i will give them your address and tell them you offer free hot showers.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
If you were a really caring person, you might consider letting the guy come in and take a bath. Homeless people are still people. They have just fallen down on hard times.

If you feel uncomfortable allowing him into your home, maybe offer to give him a ride to the local shelter?

You first.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Actually, I work with the homeless. I have picked them up off the street and taken them to the shelter. Obviously not in NYC, but EXCUSE ME for clicking on "New Posts" and only seeing the Thread Name and making a suggestion.

Don't worry, I won't bother responding to any NYC threads again, since the last time I did that, I was attacked the exact same way.

Way to keep the reputation going.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
Actually, I work with the homeless. I have picked them up off the street and taken them to the shelter. Obviously not in NYC, but EXCUSE ME for clicking on "New Posts" and only seeing the Thread Name and making a suggestion.

Don't worry, I won't bother responding to any NYC threads again, since the last time I did that, I was attacked the exact same way.

As a born and bred ny'r, I completely understand why the rest of the country has their idea of how pretentious/snotty/holier-than-thou new yorkers are. Because it's true in many ways. However you picked an odd instance to call (us?) out on that. Because someone didn't take in a homeless dude into their apartment to bathe him. The same thing would happen in Cincinnati and forum comments about the matter would be the same.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Quote:

Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM

520 posts, read 844,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
As a born and bred ny'r, I completely understand why the rest of the country has their idea of how pretentious/snotty/holier-than-thou new yorkers are. Because it's true in many ways. However you picked an odd instance to call (us?) out on that. Because someone didn't take in a homeless dude into their apartment to bathe him. The same thing would happen in Cincinnati and forum comments about the matter would be the same.
It's funny. I recall an instance when two NY'rs were a little loud, arguing a bit, they were non-white... a regular day in NY. Well a couple in front of us was clearly from out of state, definitely not from the more urban east coast cities. They were 20 feet away. The boyfriend put his arm across his woman's chest and protectively pushed her behind him, while the woman squealed tucked her face into his shoulder blade and both of them hastily crossed the street. My husband and I just passed by the two dudes that were already disbanding in that regular "bark and diffuse" ny style. It was so funny to see 30s something out-of-towners panic in such a theatrical way. I bet they are the same ones that fight for the rights of homeless and junkies.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:

Don't do that OP...you will need industrial strength deodorant to get that bum smell out of your bathroom.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
Good morning,

My super recently was doing his best to fortify the door to keep homeless people from coming into the building an sleeping in our lobby. It halfway work, but this morning, I caught the same homeless man that I've seen sleeping in the building before, sleeping in the little space between the main entrance and the entrance to the lobby. I WOULD NOT CARE AT ALL if he didn't stink. The problem is that now in this little space, the smell is concentrated.

I can't really complain to the higher ups because I just moved in on April 1st and my name isn't even on the lease (mother's is), I mean, I'm a good and courteous neighbor, but they wouldn't want me there as I'm not on the lease. Anyway, who can I contact to get rid of this homeless man reoccurring visits? What would you do?
Call your local NYPD precinct and tell them there is a "suspicious" person in your building's lobby. They may ask a few questions such as description and so forth but a car will be dispatched to investigate. How long this will take depends on how busy things are.

Before anyone starts running their mouths myself and others have done this to remove anything from passed out drunken young persons to the most foul homeless. You call NYPD and they are obliged to investigate. Trespassing is against the law, so is breaking and entering. Bottom line is unless you live in a building and or have a legally valid reason for being there, you are indeed doing just that, and are subject to actions by LE.

To OP:

It used to be much easier to find the telephone number for one's local NYPD, but ever since *311* exploded and gobbled up anyway to directly reach any City agency it has become difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City