Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM

503 posts, read 900,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
No. I've lived in peaceful neighborhoods all my life and I've never witnessed any conflict, fights, shootings etc. I'm just shooting off my idealistic world.

Sarcasm aside, in most cases, if you come correct, most people have no problem with you and are willing to work with you. I've been through this once or twice...
I'd love to see a transcript of how both of those conversations went and who it was you actually approached. A group of 6 mid 20s men or a group of 3 school girls playing nicki minaj while eating cheetos and sitting on someone's trunk?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,564,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
I'd love to see a transcript of how both of those conversations went and who it was you actually approached. A group of 6 mid 20s men or a group of 3 school girls playing nicki minaj while eating cheetos and sitting on someone's trunk?
In one case, it was a lady in her 30s and the rapport was cool. In another situation, it was actually my sister who really had to handle it since it was her car being sat on by dudes in their 20s and 30s, though I was there just to make sure things were cool. I'm not saying go out there as some tough dude. Just come respectfully and confidently: "I mean no disrespect, but the loud music is creating a bit of disturbance in the building. Do you mind just turning the volume lower please? It would be appreciated. Thanks".

Do you even know if they actually lived there or were just visiting somebody in the building?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,914,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Just recently moved into a nice place in the Bronx my building is great. Landlord is great. Everything is great. Many great people in the neighborhood. Chill atmosphere, very family oriented, great business owners. I've liked everyone I've met but today I couldn't help but look out of my 2nd floor window and see some ghetto f***ckn hood a$$ people standing outside. One with a durag and the other smoking. Idgaf about the smoking thing. But why in the hell do you chill with your friends in front of a f***kin building, smoking a cig and "chillin" with a honda civic's stereo blaring ghetto ***** music from the open doors. Why do you not INVITE the people into your damn apt like civilized beings? It's like now I am really pissed, because I left from Mott Haven pjs, a REALLY hood fkn place and now I see 2 undesirables who probably share a apt together in my building. I dont know how to feel about it, maybe they were just waiting for someone? who knows... But I am pissed. It's like you can't escape these people.

You don't sound much more higher class than them using those kind of profanities.

Get out of your area if you don't like it. When you move into any particular neighborhood, you should respect the local customs if you plan on not being miserable (regardless of how ridiculous you feel they are).

If not then invest in yourself, go to college/take up a trade and increase your earning power so you can afford a half-decent neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
You don't sound much more higher class than them using those kind of profanities.

Get out of your area if you don't like it. When you move into any particular neighborhood, you should respect the local customs if you plan on not being miserable (regardless of how ridiculous you feel they are).

If not then invest in yourself, go to college/take up a trade and increase your earning power so you can afford a half-decent neighborhood.
I am out of Mott Haven, perhaps you should re-direct your focal point onto your own "higher class" ability and learn to read the context before your philosophical spiel.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM

947 posts, read 1,467,255 times
Here is what I do when I get annoyed by these people in my street. I have a tactical shotgun. I step outside with it and a cleaning cloth so they can see me cleaning it. If the cops come by I can explain it's dark inside my house and I was outside where it was brighter. It's not illegal to carry a shotgun outside your residence to clean it.

I keep it loaded and the safety off and one hand in the pistol grip while cleaning it. I tell the ghetto this is the answer to trouble in the neighborhood. They turn down the music and even move their vehicles.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,548,079 times
Maybe in birmingham you can clean a tactile shotgun outside your house. In NYC, the cops will shoot you even if have an orange water gun.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Here is what I do when I get annoyed by these people in my street. I have a tactical shotgun. I step outside with it and a cleaning cloth so they can see me cleaning it. If the cops come by I can explain it's dark inside my house and I was outside where it was brighter. It's not illegal to carry a shotgun outside your residence to clean it.

I keep it loaded and the safety off and one hand in the pistol grip while cleaning it. I tell the ghetto this is the answer to trouble in the neighborhood. They turn down the music and even move their vehicles.
LMFAO man, just had a nice laugh at work. Lol.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Maybe in birmingham you can clean a tactile shotgun outside your house. In NYC, the cops will shoot you even if have an orange water gun.
Haha.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,764,705 times
They didn't call NYC a melting pot for nothing.

Most transplants moving into NJ have been fooled by TV shows that depicts NYC as mostly working folks. Completely false. Only in recent years many areas have gotten more homogenous but not completely.

As long as there's a subway stop nearby there are ghetto like folks or a homeless person that decide to search for goods in the area.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They didn't call NYC a melting pot for nothing.

Most transplants moving into NJ have been fooled by TV shows that depicts NYC as mostly working folks. Completely false. Only in recent years many areas have gotten more homogenous but not completely.

As long as there's a subway stop nearby there are ghetto like folks or a homeless person that decide to search for goods in the area.
The subway stop distance radius is a personal standard favorite of mine. That rule rings true in so many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City