Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I also wouldn't live anywhere without a great open space close by. NYBG is by far my favorite space - it's an amazing amenity to be able to walk to. Van Cortlandt Park always seemed kind of eh to me. It's huge but not the best designed space. I live in Bedford Park and can walk easily to the NYBG, and there is also an entrance on the Pelham Parkway side. Mosholu Parkway and Pelham Parkway are also nice green spaces. We walk to Arthur Ave pretty frequently -- I don't know why people don't recommend Belmont more - I love visiting Arthur Avenue and think it would be a fun place to live. The downside is that transportation is not great - far from the subway. Of the 3, Bedford Park has the best transportation with 2 subway lines and a metro north stop.
I live in Belmont and I really like it. The bus to train commute is a slight bummer but it's a short bus ride for me so it doesn't bother me too much. I think OP wants a neighborhood with nice houses, a decent commute, and a good local retail corridor. Belmont doesn't quite fit the bill, the housing stock is not so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I live in Belmont and I really like it. The bus to train commute is a slight bummer but it's a short bus ride for me so it doesn't bother me too much. I think OP wants a neighborhood with nice houses, a decent commute, and a good local retail corridor. Belmont doesn't quite fit the bill, the housing stock is not so great.
It seems like most houses would require a good amount of work, but they would probably be under the OPs budget. I think the worst is what Fordham has built though. Overall I think the atmosphere is pretty charming and fun, and you can walk to the NYBG and zoo easily.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM

20 posts, read 43,816 times
Just curious on why people here on CD suggest the Pelham Parkway area over the Pelham Bay area. I am in the same boat as OP and think they both have somewhat equal amenities.

The only main difference I see is

PP has more of a retail corridor
PB has more park space

Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
The area around Botanical Gardens and the Zoo is completely flooded with traffic. With street parking, you are competing with the students from Fordham U. Plz stay away from Kingsbridge, its quiet, clean, safe and affordable. If too many outsiders come, the lace wil loose its charm and affordability. So plz move to Pelham Pkwy!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I would pick Throggs Neck. I don't know why anyone would dissuade you. The housing stock is equally nice, especially as you get closer to the water. PP, close to WPR, is mostly urban co-ops and condos, but with the urbanity you'll find great conveniences in terms of shopping and transportation, which is helpful if you are commuting into Manhattan at all. There aren't many SFHs there. Pelham Gardens is nice but not more than the better parts of the Neck. If I relocate back to the Bronx, we'd probably buy in the Neck area by the water. I wouldn't worry about the Throggs Neck Houses..they are in just one section of the area.

As for Soundview, I guess the posters are talking about shorehaven? The two family homes aren't that great build quality wise and the better area (IMO) is the condo section. My mother owns a block from the water and has a New York City skyline. I was interested in purchasing there, but what dissuaded me was the long commute time, remoteness, lack of retail.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I would pick Throggs Neck. I don't know why anyone would dissuade you. The housing stock is equally nice, especially as you get closer to the water. PP, close to WPR, is mostly urban co-ops and condos, but with the urbanity you'll find great conveniences in terms of shopping and transportation, which is helpful if you are commuting into Manhattan at all. There aren't many SFHs there. Pelham Gardens is nice but not more than the better parts of the Neck. If I relocate back to the Bronx, we'd probably buy in the Neck area by the water. I wouldn't worry about the Throggs Neck Houses..they are in just one section of the area.

As for Soundview, I guess the posters are talking about shorehaven? The two family homes aren't that great build quality wise and the better area (IMO) is the condo section. My mother owns a block from the water and has a New York City skyline. I was interested in purchasing there, but what dissuaded me was the long commute time, remoteness, lack of retail.
Only issue with the Neck is you gotta take a bus to the train (or express bus it to the city).

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Only issue with the Neck is you gotta take a bus to the train (or express bus it to the city).
Yea. that's true..that's why I ultimately didn't end up there myself. Too far out. As a single person, not living in a two fare zone was very important to me.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
They're very sneaky about that. It's close to the children's garden then - maybe by the picnic area? From the map it looks closer to the family garden, but I can't tell really. I've never seen it from inside the garden but would like to be able to use it to cut through to Pelham Parkway/WPR - sometimes we have appts. over there and usually go down to Fordham Rd. and take the bus over. Not the most pleasant trip. Sorry to get off topic.
It's because the Waring Gate entrance is very hilly and it is a narrow path.Not really good for some people,especially people whose mobility is impaired in any way.Supposedly there is a plan to greatly improve the access very soon by building a new straight and even path and building a whole new entrance .

I use it all the time to do exactly what you want to do because I live on Bronx Park East and I have friends in Bedford Park.Cutting across the NYBG is the fastest and most pleasant route once you learn which paths to take.You also have to use a little used path across the forest to really cut down on the time.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's because the Waring Gate entrance is very hilly and it is a narrow path.Not really good for some people,especially people whose mobility is impaired in any way.Supposedly there is a plan to greatly improve the access very soon by building a new straight and even path and building a whole new entrance .

I use it all the time to do exactly what you want to do because I live on Bronx Park East and I have friends in Bedford Park.Cutting across the NYBG is the fastest and most pleasant route once you learn which paths to take.You also have to use a little used path across the forest to really cut down on the time.
Thank for the info - I'll have to ask around next time I'm up there. It's easy to get lost on those little paths in the forest. I guess it's also possible to hop on the trolley - it's better than the BX12!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
To save gas, an area close to the both highways and bridges may be appropriate.

Throggs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Bay Park, Castle Hill, Pelham Parkway.

If not for the parking problems, Parkchester would be perfect, being right at the expressways (Cross Bronx, Bruckner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City