Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Not to say that a low body count as opposed to a non-existent one is really a good thing, but BX ain't really all that bad. The Bronx had 83 homicides last year and 114 in 2012. Philadelphia (my hometown), which is roughly the same size as the Bronx, recorded 246 last year and 331 in 2012. Baltimore, which is less than half the size of the Bronx, recorded 234 homicides last year.

So all things considered, the Bronx is a lot safer than many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
anyone see this:

Mercedes-Benz driver turns tables on carjackers, shoots both men dead in the Bronx: cops - NY Daily News

Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not to say that a low body count as opposed to a non-existent one is really a good thing, but BX ain't really all that bad. The Bronx had 83 homicides last year and 114 in 2012. Philadelphia (my hometown), which is roughly the same size as the Bronx, recorded 246 last year and 331 in 2012. Baltimore, which is less than half the size of the Bronx, recorded 234 homicides last year.

So all things considered, the Bronx is a lot safer than many other places.
Acitvating Super Mario. He will say you are wrong and Bronx is the worst place in America, Mott Haven is everything that is wrong with America!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
Well considering that the 47th covers the Edenwald area (and Edenwald Projects), I'm not surprised. That area isn't all that good. There are better pockets surrounding that area..those are the ones that are middle classed.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I agree. When I lived with my mom after i sold my condo in '03 (she lived in Shore Haven), I had to ride the BX27 and got a free PJ Tour. It's like one big cluster of PJS over there - Soundview Houses, Sak Werm Houses, Clason Point Houses, the PJS all along Story Avenue where the Cablevision is, and another complex on the other side of the Cross Bronx. Meanwhile, the Bx39 traveled along WPR and there were little to no projects as far as I could tell. My mother never rode the 27 and many people from Shorehaven wouldn't either (that is why the Bx39 is packed from the first stop on). I, however, had no problem riding it to the #6 at Elder or Soundview. Always had a seat and never felt uneasy.

WPR is a mixed bag - by Wakefield, WPR is known for its drug activity. WPR and Pelham Parkway is a nice stretch. Gunhill is "eh..", Allerton is equally "eh", WPR around Shorehaven, Harding Park, areas away from the Cross Bronx aren't bad at all. In fact, those areas are dominated by SFH.
Never been to the Story Avenue strip....well I have but that was back when I was a kid so I really dont remember.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM

620 posts, read 1,074,322 times
Also keep in mind that there are alot of incidents that are not reported to NYPD. It may not just be dangerous in terms of shootings/murders.

The other day I was dropping off a friend when a group of about 10 guys started to have an all out brawl in the middle of the sidewalk. Chairs thrown, faces stomped on concrete floor and bottles smashed in heads. One guy got body slammed on the wind shield of a car and broke it. After a few long minutes it was all over and everyone went their way with a promise of retaliation.

I also heard a kid got stabbed coming out of the library and ran home to get better. But as usual with street gangs and set... you NEVER talk to the cops... You just handle it yourself .....

IJS... theres alot of crime that occurs "off the books"

Old 05-15-2014, 10:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Also keep in mind that there are alot of incidents that are not reported to NYPD. It may not just be dangerous in terms of shootings/murders.

The other day I was dropping off a friend when a group of about 10 guys started to have an all out brawl in the middle of the sidewalk. Chairs thrown, faces stomped on concrete floor and bottles smashed in heads. One guy got body slammed on the wind shield of a car and broke it. After a few long minutes it was all over and everyone went their way with a promise of retaliation.

I also heard a kid got stabbed coming out of the library and ran home to get better. But as usual with street gangs and set... you NEVER talk to the cops... You just handle it yourself .....

IJS... theres alot of crime that occurs "off the books"

Where exactly was this? The area is spotty. WPR is bad especially between Burke and 233rd and 241st up to Mount Vernon. Edenwald not good. The area around the Boston Secor as well. The rest is just your normal lower middle class neighborhood.

But seriously Morrisania, Mount Hope, and those areas are worse. Don't care what any one says. Also Soundview around where Cablevision is a no go area.

Bottom line is any where in the Bronx where there is dense housing, expect crime. Also the 47th is a much larger precinct than those in the South West Bronx.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Where exactly was this? The area is spotty. WPR is bad especially between Burke and 233rd and 241st up to Mount Vernon. Edenwald not good. The area around the Boston Secor as well. The rest is just your normal lower middle class neighborhood.

But seriously Morrisania, Mount Hope, and those areas are worse. Don't care what any one says. Also Soundview around where Cablevision is a no go area.

Bottom line is any where in the Bronx where there is dense housing, expect crime. Also the 47th is a much larger precinct than those in the South West Bronx.
I think there is something going on in the upper two teens and lower 220's lately,especially 215 to 220 st.These kinds of battles often have a cleansing effect.Maybe during the Summer more of the hood rats will kill each other off and things will quiet down again.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 AM

912 posts, read 2,100,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think there is something going on in the upper two teens and lower 220's lately,especially 215 to 220 st.These kinds of battles often have a cleansing effect.Maybe during the Summer more of the hood rats will kill each other off and things will quiet down again.
I walked 215 to 220 and it seemed more like a country club than a battlefield.A country club with world class Jamaican food

Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
I walked 215 to 220 and it seemed more like a country club than a battlefield.A country club with world class Jamaican food
I agree.Most of the murders and shootings don't really happen on White Plains Road.They happen at night,in houses and parks on the side streets,usually a couple of blocks off of WP RD.

Personally,I think the murder/shooting rate in any neighborhood is the least important.It's the crime I'm least worried about being a victim of. It's almost always hood rats who know each other killing each other off. Yes,every once in a very great while there is an innocent bystander victim but I think all of us in NYC have a much better chance of being killed by a car,truck or bus while crossing the street than being an innocent victim of gun violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City