Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Don’t forget that most of the chinese living here are either uneducated or still struggling with poverty. Even for those so called rich chinese they were in extreme poverty some 20 years ago and have little grip or understanding of american/western culture. Expecting them to have the taste or values like yours is simply unrealistic...

um, if they are buying homes for over 500K, Which I know for a fact, since they are buying in my neighborhood, I would hardly think they are un educated or poverty stricken. i didnt say i dont like them, I am simply saying they have terrible taste.

where as, i dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM

244 posts, read 664,633 times
Asians are taking over Bayside.
I'd say Bayside will be 90% Asian in about 20 years.
Anytime I see a house for sale by someone white here, an Asian always moves in.

Queens, Brooklyn, and probably Long Island too soon, . . are no longer majority white.
If you grew up being Italian, Irish, etc. growing up in the 1960's and 70's, you'll know what I mean.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 AM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
Uneducated but able to afford a house in brooklyn? What do you own? Having different taste is neither a good thing nor bad thing, it's a difference thing. I hope people understand that. And unless you live there, why worry about what other people are doing to their houses? Their own house...
How does affording a house in brooklyn have anything to do with education? I heard that back in the days, houses in many pockets of brooklyn were dirt cheap. A man from Hongkong who worked in the restaurant all his life raised four children in Brooklyn, and bot a huge house in the Victorian Ditmas Park.
How much do you know about the chinese enclaves in bensonhurst/sunset park? The majority of the cantonese home owners there have been in NYC for long decades and have accumulated some wealth through thrifty livings over the decades. Mos of them are only fluent in cantonese but limited in both mandarine and english, which is clear evidence suggesting that they are not much educated. The fukianese majority are relatively new comers to the US but their roots can be traced to several rural towns in china where snakeheadsare are known to operate well. They are smart small business runners and have become the dominant forces in running those traditional small chinese business like dollar stores, restaurants, grocery, etc, and have therefore established themselves pretty well. But they did not have much school education.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
um, if they are buying homes for over 500K, Which I know for a fact, since they are buying in my neighborhood, I would hardly think they are un educated or poverty stricken. i didnt say i dont like them, I am simply saying they have terrible taste.
you do realize that changes in taste/value/character take much long to occur? The newly rich chinese are good examples of this. And in the recent past, there were the americans to the europeans, then the japanese to the americans. Nothing new but predictable historical patterns. Speaking of architectural taste, the majority of brooklyn/queens buildings look tasteless anyway, mostly square boxes with flat grey roof tops which are apparent when you ride along the elevated subway lines.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
I'd rather my neighbor install a stainless steel door than stucco their entire house like some other groups tend to like to do. I'd also prefer the stainless steel door over unnecessary marble pillars. Much easier to remove the door over time. The stucco and marble ruins the house pretty much forever.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd rather my neighbor install a stainless steel door than stucco their entire house like some other groups tend to like to do. I'd also prefer the stainless steel door over unnecessary marble pillars. Much easier to remove the door over time. The stucco and marble ruins the house pretty much forever.
In terms of preference, I pick lux condo apt over 100+ years old brownstones. I just don't know what have happened inside before me...

Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
I'm with nightcrawler on this one.
The stainless steel fortresses are just ugly and an eyesore to most neighborhoods.
I’ve seen them next to architecturally beautiful brownstones in Sunset park, and they just seem completely out of place.

good thing around my area I haven’t seen any of them.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
In terms of preference, I pick lux condo apt over 100+ years old brownstones. I just don't know what have happened inside before me...
?

How do you manage to get in a subway car? a taxi? Go in a store? Goodness knows what has "happened" in there before you.

How odd.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
?

How do you manage to get in a subway car? a taxi? Go in a store? Goodness knows what has "happened" in there before you.

How odd.
Plus that luxury building may have been built over some ancient Indian burial land.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Uneducated yes and probably a good thing because a US education teaches you to become a good worker but doesn't teach the essentials on how to run your own business and become financially independent. Most Americans today can't buy a house in NYC because they have a big student loan and they are making less than $70k after taxes while most of these Chinese are making tax free income importing goods here and selling to Jamaicans.

Many Chinese immigrants come here without any degree, some dropped out of HS to work to help their family pay and buy their first home which later becomes the fruit of their labor when they sold it for 2-4x the value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City