Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times

Advertisements

^ it also shows an overall breakdown of polite, respectful, civilized society. Other than certain small pockets of the city, it takes only minutes to observe numerous acts which show a complete disregard for everyone else around you when moving around this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
What annoys me about that particular behavior is that my girlfriend, and other women have to witness it. I've seen these kids expose the cracks of their azz. These kids are degenerates and should be locked up for indecent exposure.
Chances are that they dont have fathers like you who will kick those pants up where they belong.

I had to be in Jamaica for a few hours last year and walk to and from this place I needed to go. I kid you not, I saw this fella with his pants literally past his kneecaps. I thought at first, "ahh he's a crack head, doing his crackhead thing". But looked again, and he was just some 20 something yr old. Clean clothes, nice baseball cap, nice sneakers....but jeans down almost to his ankles, and I'm not even exaggerating lol. I didn't know what to make of it. How do you walk? What if you need to defend yourself? How do you maneuver in a situation like that? I walked away in awe of the apparent marvels of physics that exist in Jamaica, NY.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I had to be in Jamaica for a few hours last year and walk to and from this place I needed to go. I kid you not, I saw this fella with his pants literally past his kneecaps. I thought at first, "ahh he's a crack head, doing his crackhead thing". But looked again, and he was just some 20 something yr old. Clean clothes, nice baseball cap, nice sneakers....but jeans down almost to his ankles, and I'm not even exaggerating lol. I didn't know what to make of it. How do you walk? What if you need to defend yourself? How do you maneuver in a situation like that? I walked away in awe of the apparent marvels of physics that exist in Jamaica, NY.
I don't know what to tell you.....the hood is the hood...I don't condone it. When I was in high school the "thugs" actually looked intimidating. Nowadays they all look like Lenny Kravitz.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,034 times
low IQ = low EQ = behavior like blasting music

Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
the sagging pants thing, despite its origins, has little to do with class these days. It's a style ("urban"). I've seen kids from middle classed families attired similarly. i think the sagging pants thing is a dumb style, especially when the pants are belted around the thighs and the boxers are showing. I really can't fathom how anyone can think that's attractive, let alone accceptable. But it's a style and it's not going to go away. As such, I'm all for people (to an extent) expressing themselves when it comes to their attire. If it prevents them from getting a job or people associate them negatively, that's on them, really. But it has little to do with me or my life.

as for the blasting music, that is disrespectful. I would think it would be distasteful regardless of what is being played. Music is such a subjective thing -- I personally don't find reggaeton God awful and just because some don't understand it doesn't make it (the music, that is, not the person playing) obnoxious --but it really doesn't matter, because you should be considerate of others. That's just Public Decorum 101.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Quote:
Ha! I was on the bus once and there was this kid standing with pants that were as you described. This old man tapped him on the shoulder and said "your pants are falling down". It might be the funniest thing I've ever seen...the kid and his friends were just laughing but the old man was dead serious!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
It seems like the sagging pants thing is going out of style. I notice it much less now than a few years ago.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,740 times
Clearly, there is no Dad at home to light his A up. That would help him keep his pants on his waist and not on his thights.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM

5,140 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
^ it also shows an overall breakdown of polite, respectful, civilized society. Other than certain small pockets of the city, it takes only minutes to observe numerous acts which show a complete disregard for everyone else around you when moving around this place.
yep...i also think it is the increasing amount of tolerance from the general public that indulges the growth of such mindless crazy behaviors of the teens. when i grew up, the elders never hesitated to give you a lecture if you acted inappropriately in public, whether they know you or not. Nowadays everybody is just minding their own business and is to afraid to stand up against misbehaviors in public.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,740 times
Quote:
People speed because they feel the need to get somewhere fast and driving fast is fun. They overeat because food tastes good (particularly unhealthy food which is most food).

They crank horrible music on full blast while driving around aimlessly so the entire neighborhood has to hear it because...?

Because the idiots crave attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City