Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

I've worked and paid NYS taxes for over 20 years now (paid taxes on 6 figure salary consistently for almost 10 years, through 2013!) and NYS is now about to screw me because of some recent tough luck. I was laid off last August 2013, for the first time ever, after a corporate restructuring and was out of work for about 3 months before starting a terrible job, that I took just to receive a steady paycheck. That job didn't work out (I guess that's what happens when you take the 1st offer you receive after a layoff) and I was laid off again the end of April 2014, as I wasn't "a good fit" for the crappy company. I am now about to reach my 26th week of unemployment benefits in a 12 month period and have exhausted all of my savings, and literally won't be able to support myself and my daughter (I don't get any child support) without unemployment benefits or assistance. I don't know what to do! I'm busting my butt trying to find another job, spending 12+ hours/day submitting job applications and taking interview calls and meetings, but I have yet to find another position. The job market is still rough and I'm at a place in my career where I'm either over qualified or under qualified. Companies can get a younger 20-something version of me to do the same job for less money. I'm willing to take a slight pay cut, but also can't take too much of a pay cut as I have a child to support, high rent, bills, credit card debt, etc etc etc. I will literally lose everything I've worked so hard for all these years if I have to move out of state to live in my parents basement in the middle of nowhere! (I come from a very hardworking middle-class family, where my parents both work very hard in healthcare jobs and can just keep afloat themselves, therefore don't have extra money to support me during this tough time but I can always stay with them, although they are out of NY State and hours away from where I need to be interviewing.)

What are my alternatives??? I literally paid $55K in Fed & NY State taxes in 2012, my last full year of work so imagine what I've contributed over the past 20 years as I've climbed the corporate ladder! There are so many lazy people who refuse to work getting their bills paid and they don't even try to contribute to society but a single mother who has worked hard and paid taxes for 20 years gets screwed over? What alternative resources do I have now that I'm losing my unemployment benefits and am 100% totally out of savings and in severe debt? Please suggest anything realistic that can help to hold me over for another month or so, so that I can continue my job hunt and get back to supporting other people! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsinglemom View Post
I've worked and paid NYS taxes for over 20 years now (paid taxes on 6 figure salary consistently for almost 10 years, through 2013!) and NYS is now about to screw me because of some recent tough luck. I was laid off last August 2013, for the first time ever, after a corporate restructuring and was out of work for about 3 months before starting a terrible job, that I took just to receive a steady paycheck. That job didn't work out (I guess that's what happens when you take the 1st offer you receive after a layoff) and I was laid off again the end of April 2014, as I wasn't "a good fit" for the crappy company. I am now about to reach my 26th week of unemployment benefits in a 12 month period and have exhausted all of my savings, and literally won't be able to support myself and my daughter (I don't get any child support) without unemployment benefits or assistance. I don't know what to do! I'm busting my butt trying to find another job, spending 12+ hours/day submitting job applications and taking interview calls and meetings, but I have yet to find another position. The job market is still rough and I'm at a place in my career where I'm either over qualified or under qualified. Companies can get a younger 20-something version of me to do the same job for less money. I'm willing to take a slight pay cut, but also can't take too much of a pay cut as I have a child to support, high rent, bills, credit card debt, etc etc etc. I will literally lose everything I've worked so hard for all these years if I have to move out of state to live in my parents basement in the middle of nowhere! (I come from a very hardworking middle-class family, where my parents both work very hard in healthcare jobs and can just keep afloat themselves, therefore don't have extra money to support me during this tough time but I can always stay with them, although they are out of NY State and hours away from where I need to be interviewing.)

What are my alternatives??? I literally paid $55K in Fed & NY State taxes in 2012, my last full year of work so imagine what I've contributed over the past 20 years as I've climbed the corporate ladder! There are so many lazy people who refuse to work getting their bills paid and they don't even try to contribute to society but a single mother who has worked hard and paid taxes for 20 years gets screwed over?
You had me until you said this crap right here. You have no right to assume you know people's lives or circumstances. You are NOW in the same predicament as they are.

Quote:
What alternative resources do I have now that I'm losing my unemployment benefits and am 100% totally out of savings and in severe debt? Please suggest anything realistic that can help to hold me over for another month or so, so that I can continue my job hunt and get back to supporting other people! THANKS!

Go to your local Human Resources office to get help.

Call your local Catholic Charities to see if they could help you with rent.

If you can't afford your rent and have no family to stay with, then take your family to the Homeless Intake Shelter in the Bronx to get placed somewhere.

This is all I have. I could say more, but your post really rubbed me the wrong way. You're now going to be one of those "lazy people expecting handouts" that you despise so much.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Why aren't you getting child support for your daughter?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Sorry to hear your sad story. The economy has turned around and there is a solid recovery of midd class jobs lately.you should be able to find simething soon.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM

@marilyn220 - Whoah! Very defensive - did I call YOU yourself specifically out on anything?!? I don't know you, as you don't know me! Your comment is BEYOND IGNORANT! When I refer to lazy people I'm referring to people that don't contribute to society in any positive way and never pay taxes ever or rarely and are always trying to beat the system. I'm nowhere near that since I've worked since I was 11 and paid taxes since I was 16 - the past 10 yrs paid taxes on over $100K salary. I'm FAR from LAZY!! NYS can audit my number of job applications/submissions, interviews etc at any time and would see I put in more than fair effort to find a good job. I like to work and would never give up a $4-5,000 net salary per month + commission for $405/week in Unemployment benefits. Anyone who would give up a steady paycheck for $405 a week has issues unrelated to employment and that profile doesn't fit me.
I put myself through college at nights and weekends as a single parent while I worked full time and worked my way up the corporate ladder - short-term TEMPORARY Circumstances are WAY DIFFERENT than general lazy non-contributers! Regardless of health issues and regular things that come up in life, I've worked 8-12hrs a day and raised an amazing kid by myself for 15yrs! I already contributed taxes on minimum $50K salary for 2014 and the year isn't over. I spent 12 hours job hunting today (AS I have EVERY DAY since I unfortunately lost my job) before posting this. How many others can say the same? Don't comment if you don't have something productive to say!

Not discussing reasons for no child support - not the point of my post - just saying I don't have that resource, like some single parents do.

I without a doubt will be contributing taxes on a 6 figure salary within a few months so please let me clarify that my question is for other hard working people like myself who have stumbled upon a rough patch. Not for nosey people who don't know what they're talking about. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM

Thank you @leoliu!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
@marilyn220 - Whoah! Very defensive - did I call YOU yourself specifically out on anything?!? I don't know you, as you don't know me! Your comment is BEYOND IGNORANT! When I refer to lazy people I'm referring to people that don't contribute to society in any positive way and never pay taxes ever or rarely and are always trying to beat the system. I'm nowhere near that since I've worked since I was 11 and paid taxes since I was 16 - the past 10 yrs paid taxes on over $100K salary. I'm FAR from LAZY!! NYS can audit my number of job applications/submissions, interviews etc at any time and would see I put in more than fair effort to find a good job. I like to work and would never give up a $4-5,000 net salary per month + commission for $405/week in Unemployment benefits. Anyone who would give up a steady paycheck for $405 a week has issues unrelated to employment and that profile doesn't fit me.
I put myself through college at nights and weekends as a single parent while I worked full time and worked my way up the corporate ladder - short-term TEMPORARY Circumstances are WAY DIFFERENT than general lazy non-contributers! Regardless of health issues and regular things that come up in life, I've worked 8-12hrs a day and raised an amazing kid by myself for 15yrs! I already contributed taxes on minimum $50K salary for 2014 and the year isn't over. I spent 12 hours job hunting today (AS I have EVERY DAY since I unfortunately lost my job) before posting this. How many others can say the same? Don't comment if you don't have something productive to say!
I don't care.

Bottomline, is that you are now a STATISTIC that will need "government handouts".

I listed some places for you to call. You can utilize them or not. I really don't give a *ish.

Quote:
I without a doubt will be contributing taxes on a 6 figure salary within a few months
No, you won't.

You'll be collecting cash, medicaid and SNAP, while doing 3 days a week of workfare and two days of job searching activities.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM

And supposedly the Recession ended in 2010 too.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
I am now about to reach my 26th week of unemployment benefits in a 12 month period and have exhausted all of my savings ... Companies can get a younger 20-something version of me to do the same job for less money. I'm willing to take a slight pay cut, but also can't take too much of a pay cut as I have a child to support, high rent, bills, credit card debt
Looks like someone didn't plan for the lean years. I'm with Marilyn on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City