Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 38,310 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'm a college student currently living in Miami, Florida, but I'm planning to move to Manhattan next year, around August I guess.
I plan to attend CUNY to continue studying Business Adm./Accounting. Right now my budget is quite limited, but I think I might be able to save $10,000/$15,000 by the time I move. I know Manhattan is very expensive and competitive, but I've been wanting to move there for three years, and I believe that it would be better to start a career in Business in NY (especially internships & so on) than in Miami.
My idea was to sublet for a couple of months when I get there while looking for an apartment (and afterwards get a roomate), and a job.
I read so much about this subject that I am a little confused as to what to do. So here are my questions:

1) I've noticed that Washington Hights is quite cheaper than other areas. Is this part of the city a good place for a female student to live?

2) What are the job possibilities for college students? (administrative jobs, etc.) Especially how long does it usually take to find a job?

3) Are temp agencies a good source to get a job (at least in the beginning)?

Right now my situation is not very different from the prospect one in Manhattan. I live in Miami Beach (quite expensive for the small salaries in this area), in a small studio (that's all I can afford at the moment) with no more than $20,000 a year. But all in all I have managed my finances well for the last couple of years. (What I don't like is the hot weather).

Any suggestions and ideas are truly appreciated! Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Washington Heights was hit real hard during the crack era. It was nicknamed "crack city" by the press. It was and still is the largest drug dristributer in the north east. While things are better today, the neighborhood suffers alot of problems still. There is a strong gang presence in the heights, Trinitario, Latin Kings, and DDP's. It has a very ghetto appearance. There isn't a wall or store that isn't tagged up with graffiti. The 181 st station looks like it's from the 1980's. Alot of foot traffic meaning alot of trash on the floor. Traffic is unbearable. Every block corner is chock full of people hanging out. There's always music being played and in general the people are loud. The area is mostly Dominican, so if you aren't hispanic you may feel out of place.

Now, the best parts are west of Broadway. It actually gets nice over there.

But for a student coming from Miami, unless you're hispanic I see no benefit in moving to Washington Heights. It's the ghetto.

Unfortunately with your budget there isn't many nice areas that you can look into. The Bronx is worse and so are parts of Brooklyn. Move to the Heights if your other 2 choices are the BX or BK.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Which CUNY?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But for a student coming from Miami, unless you're hispanic I see no benefit in moving to Washington Heights. It's the ghetto...........

The Bronx is worse and so are parts of Brooklyn. Move to the Heights if your other 2 choices are the BX or BK.
the bronx is worse? what a nice sweeping generalisation!!!

There are NHs in nyc that match the "worst" NHs in the bx so that is not a fair assessment. many people live and commute to and from the bronx daily and they are still leading decent crime free lives. (raises his hand)

with your budget, it will be strange for you not to look at the bronx. There is a place for you here. I will suggest looking at craig's list. you can get some room shares for $500/mo everything included. Since you're a lady, you can get a share with another lady maybe?

case in point, there is a good number of fordham students who live on decatur between fordham rd and 194. I wonder how they are still alive and going to school............ what a shock!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 38,310 times
So you wouldn't recommend washington heights then? Not even near the Columbia Univeristy area?

Washington Heights is not eactly the place that I would like to live, but since it was a little less expensive than the rest of the island, I thought I might ask. But after what you guys said, I definetely would not live there.
But I'd rather live in Manhattan though. Rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment and then find a roommate or two (perhaps another student?) to share the expenses. Of course if I find it impossible I would look into other areas/boroughs.

I make $20000 in Miami, (now I found a new job for $28000 a year) and I know that's nothing in NY! But I guess (and hope I'm not wrong) I should be making a little more money in NY? I would like to know what's the earning potential in let's say, administrative jobs and how difficult/how long does it generally take to find a job like that (I currently work as Accounts Payable assistant for a trading company).

I would arrive in NY with $10000/15000 to pay for the apartment's rent, security deposit, etc and to survive until I get a job. Utilities I will spend on are cable, internet and a cellphone, plus electricity and gas. But if I have not much money left maybe I can wait on internet & cable.

Also...do you think temp agencies a good option to find a job?

BTW, I'm planning to finish my AA degree in BMCC to make it easier to transfer to Baruch, although I might also give it a try at NYU (I know it's selective but I think I may be a good candidate).

Thanks a lot to everybody who replies! Your opinions are extremely valuable to me!!! I really appreciate it!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
the bronx is worse? what a nice sweeping generalisation!!!
Im not talking about the whole Bronx....Riverdale, Woodlawn, Country Club are great places. So how about this, the "south Bronx" is worse.

better?

Anyways the Bronx has more crime than Washington Heights, and that is a fact.

Quote:
There are NHs in nyc that match the "worst" NHs in the bx so that is not a fair assessment. many people live and commute to and from the bronx daily and they are still leading decent crime free lives. (raises his hand)
Sure there are some. I mention them everytime. East Harlem, Brownsville, East NY are all as bad as anything the Bronx has to offer. The problem is that the Bronx has MORE areas like this in the borough. Anyways IMO the worst neighborhood in NYC is in the Bronx.

East Tremont

Quote:
with your budget, it will be strange for you not to look at the bronx. There is a place for you here. I will suggest looking at craig's list. you can get some room shares for $500/mo everything included. Since you're a lady, you can get a share with another lady maybe?
This I agree with. With her budget she doesn't have many options. A move to the Bronx may be her only choice.

Quote:
case in point, there is a good number of fordham students who live on decatur between fordham rd and 194. I wonder how they are still alive and going to school............ what a shock!!!
Sigh. So where does the crime rate come from? Somebody must be getting mugged. Also with a straight face you can't tell me that no student has ever been a vicitim of crime there. You just dont know.

Again there's a difference between a ghetto and HELL ON EARTH. According to you something has to be a living inferno in order to be undesirable.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies235 View Post
So you wouldn't recommend washington heights then? Not even near the Columbia Univeristy area?
That's not that bad an area. You should looking into that.

Since you want to live on the Island, how bout looking a little north at Inwood? It's similar to Wasshington Heights but may be a little cheaper.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I don't understand the insistence I have noticed in general on this board on people who MUST live in Manhattan at all costs, especially if it means living in Inwood or Washington Heights. Sure, maybe it makes sense to live in Inwood if your commute is on the A train, or if all your friends already live there.

But a quick look at the subway map at MTA.info and at the trip planners will show you that in terms of commute times, you're no better off staying in Mantattan for Manhattan's sake (if you have to live in Inwood) than you are living in Queens, such as Sunnyside, which will get you to Grand Central in 15 minutes.

My friend who lives in Inwood is constantly complaining about how slow the A train is late at night (maybe it stops going express at a certain hour) and how long it takes her to get anywhere. Also there is not exactly much to do around there besides take walks in the (admittedly beautiful) ft. Tryon park.

So, my advice: if you are fairly certain you'll be going to Baruch, take a good look where it is on the map (in the 20's and Lexington). Closest train is the 6. You have a severely limited budget and won't be able to afford something close enough to walk, so you have to look at what makes the most sense for your commute, combined with what will give you the most interesting neighborhood.

I'm not familiar with the Bronx, but it probably makes sense to look there. Also you should look at the Queens neighborhoods that have easy transfer to the 6 train. As I mentioned, Sunnyside gets you to Grand Central in 15 minutes and you can transfer to the 6 train there. Woodside is also another option. Jackson Heights is a bit further out but it has access to the E,F,G,R,V and 7 trains. All three places are vibrant with tons of amenities and restaurants.

So, my humble opinion is that you need to get out of the Manhattan box, especially with your extremely limited budget. This is a big city, and just because the train goes under the water for a few minutes before it reaches Manhattan does not mean the neighborhood sucks.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
. Anyways IMO the worst neighborhood in NYC is in the Bronx.

East Tremont
you could make a whole thread about which NH is the worst in NYC.
though E Tremont could be a good candidate.

as far as the OP, check out thebronx. bedford park, morrisania etc are not that bad.......... even sections of the NE bronx, though it's a bit far out.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
as far as the OP, check out thebronx. bedford park, morrisania etc are not that bad.......... even sections of the NE bronx, though it's a bit far out.
I wouldn't recommend Morrisania. There are ALOT of projects in the area, and I think they may be a little intimidating for someone heading to NYC for the first time.

But she could look into Bedford park and some of the NE Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City