Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM

23 posts, read 41,350 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I've been looking through this forum, and I've seen mixed reviews on the Sunset Park neighborhood. I'm about to sign a lease on a one bedroom on 54th, between 2nd and 3rd. Is this a dangerous area? I've seen multiple times and heard from NY natives that the safety of the area varies from block to block.

I still plan on living there regardless (moving in about two weeks once I dot my i's and cross my t's), but I'd like to know if there are certain things I need to look out for or extra precautions I need to take.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 AM

85 posts, read 104,352 times
It is a very industrial zone. It looks ugly with the Gowanus/BQE running up 2nd ave. However, it is fairly safe. Not the safest area in Brooklyn, but not too dangerous by any means

Old 08-16-2014, 10:28 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
It is a very industrial zone. It looks ugly with the Gowanus/BQE running up 2nd ave. However, it is fairly safe. Not the safest area in Brooklyn, but not too dangerous by any means
That industrial part is really the fringe of the neighborhood...most of it is purely residential, east of 3rd Ave. the park is beautiful and from the top of the hill, you have an incredible view of the harbor. Some blocks have brownstones comparable to Park Slope. There's great Mexican and Chinese food. Parts can be noisy and dirty. 5th and 8th Aves are insanely crowded during the day. I don't think it's dangerous, though.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Is that the hispanic part of sunset? I have heard lots of comments about how loud it can be...any time of the day. that would be a major issue for me.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 PM

30 posts, read 64,918 times
54th between 2nd and 3rd isn't something I would recommend..now, I'm not saying don't do it because who am I to tell you what to do, but speaking from experience and the fact that I've been living here in Sunset all my life, I used to live around that area and I had a pretty sh*tty experience. We had a 3br, paying $1700/month and one tiny tiny bathroom that looked like a closet and a closet full of mice and rats. Yes, Rats.. there were rats by the bunches and every night I would lay out traps around the house and catch about 2-4 mice/rats by the next day (given that we lived right by the subway, I guess.. Never really found out where they actually came from).

Not only that, but I had ordered a pair of sneakers from Finish Line one time and the order never came in.. it was signed by someone else that didn't even live in the building and I didn't know my neighbors very well because we didn't live there for too long.. the point of it is that it got stolen.. (thankfully I got my money back) and that made me forward all my mail to a family member's address, because it was unbearable already.. And at night I would also hear people arguing very very late at night (3-5 am or so), sometimes the cops would come and take someone away, I could go on lol. So yeah, I don't recommend it, try looking someplace else or if you do decide to get the place, please be aware of what you're doing at all times. You really never know what's out there.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post
54th between 2nd and 3rd isn't something I would recommend..now, I'm not saying don't do it because who am I to tell you what to do, but speaking from experience and the fact that I've been living here in Sunset all my life, I used to live around that area and I had a pretty sh*tty experience. We had a 3br, paying $1700/month and one tiny tiny bathroom that looked like a closet and a closet full of mice and rats. Yes, Rats.. there were rats by the bunches and every night I would lay out traps around the house and catch about 2-4 mice/rats by the next day (given that we lived right by the subway, I guess.. Never really found out where they actually came from).

Not only that, but I had ordered a pair of sneakers from Finish Line one time and the order never came in.. it was signed by someone else that didn't even live in the building and I didn't know my neighbors very well because we didn't live there for too long.. the point of it is that it got stolen.. (thankfully I got my money back) and that made me forward all my mail to a family member's address, because it was unbearable already.. And at night I would also hear people arguing very very late at night (3-5 am or so), sometimes the cops would come and take someone away, I could go on lol. So yeah, I don't recommend it, try looking someplace else or if you do decide to get the place, please be aware of what you're doing at all times. You really never know what's out there.
Rats inside the house is really bad. Glad you got out of there.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I work blocks away for the last 14 years on 2nd. The area is very industrial, at night it is somewhat desolate. Below 3rd as never really considered good. I'm not afraid or scared as I am so used to the area, plus one look at me, and no one will bother me anyway, LOL... but if you are a transplant from Iowa, might be a different story???

Trains are at 4th and 45th and 53rd. 3rd is ugly, no 2 ways about that. 2nd Ave isn't much of anything either. We are getting a new park to be opened around labor day at 43rd Street and 1st Ave, I can see it from the rail yards, so that's a good thing. There is a whole website for that.

Since you are moving there anyway, you will find out. First thing i would do however is before ou move in, look around your new apartment and make sure every single crack and space is plugged up, buy caulking, it is your best friend. caulk around everything that you think any littl critter can come thru.

If you are closer to 3rd Ave you will hear the traffic of the Gowanus Expy all the time, could be considered white noise, or bothersome, everyone is different. You will also be breathing in all those exhaust fumes as well, and that might be worrysome or not....

For Sunset, below 3rd would never even be a consideration though.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Sunset park is fairly safe. I've never felt unsafe there. It's pretty mid-density area (by nyc standards), residential mixed with industrial areas. I would be worried more about the environment. I can't imagine the air quality is good at all.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post

Unbeknownst to me until recently but apparently it's okay for Fedex or UPS to leave a package with a neighbor unless you specifically request that they not do that. All they care about is getting it delivered, they wash their hands of responsibility if they deliver it to someone else and you have to take it up with the sender.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM

23 posts, read 41,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I work blocks away for the last 14 years on 2nd. The area is very industrial, at night it is somewhat desolate. Below 3rd as never really considered good. I'm not afraid or scared as I am so used to the area, plus one look at me, and no one will bother me anyway, LOL... but if you are a transplant from Iowa, might be a different story???

Trains are at 4th and 45th and 53rd. 3rd is ugly, no 2 ways about that. 2nd Ave isn't much of anything either. We are getting a new park to be opened around labor day at 43rd Street and 1st Ave, I can see it from the rail yards, so that's a good thing. There is a whole website for that.

Since you are moving there anyway, you will find out. First thing i would do however is before ou move in, look around your new apartment and make sure every single crack and space is plugged up, buy caulking, it is your best friend. caulk around everything that you think any littl critter can come thru.

If you are closer to 3rd Ave you will hear the traffic of the Gowanus Expy all the time, could be considered white noise, or bothersome, everyone is different. You will also be breathing in all those exhaust fumes as well, and that might be worrysome or not....

For Sunset, below 3rd would never even be a consideration though.
Thanks for the advice! It's good to hear from someone who's lived there. And no, I'm not from Iowa, haha. Tennessee isn't much better, but I've been living in Brooklyn for the past three months or so in temporary student housing so I'm somewhat familiar with the city. But there are some neighborhoods where street smarts and common sense are enough and some neighborhoods where they aren't.

Good tip about the caulking, especially since I'll be on the first floor. The apartment is being completely renovated right now, but it's always a good idea to protect against creepy crawlies regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City