Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times

Advertisements

Marilyn and Yodel..dont be swayed by anyone that says "watch your back." That is just a scare tactic by someone who is NEGATIVE about the Bronx, and the city in general. The city, and the Bronx, are safer than they have been for the past 30 years....normal precuation and common sense will suffice.

Regarding the investment in the Bronx...the city is always changing....however in areas like Mott Haven, they have languished due to numerous reasons ...however the tide is FINALLY turning in this community. Whether is changes for the better, worse, or stays the same nobody knows, however change is afoot and I see the area improving EVERY day..new commercial investment, new retail, new upscale housing, high rents, greening, parks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
taking precaution is watching your back, thats common sense for any urban area. i remember 1 time i saw a lady get her pocketbook snatched on 86th and lexington. had she "watched her back", she may have noticed the guy sneaking up behind her.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
taking precaution is watching your back, thats common sense for any urban area. i remember 1 time i saw a lady get her pocketbook snatched on 86th and lexington. had she "watched her back", she may have noticed the guy sneaking up behind her.
which goes back to my comment in the 89st thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM

There is a BIG difference between "watching your back" and using commons sense and normal precautions. As I stood at the Vatican as the Pope was giving Easter Mass to tens of thousands of the faithful 10 years ago, the pickpockets weer having a field day as everyone was too busy praying and focused on the mass to notice they were being pickpocketed left and right. Is it fair then to say when you go to the Vatican for Easter mass you should "watch your back?" Of course not....but use common sense and reasonable precuations will suffice.

When you say "watch your back" there is en element of grave danger, like someone may stalk you, kill you, or beat you to a pulp. However, when you say "normal precuations will suffice", this has a connotation of petty crime like pickpockets, purse snatchers, etc...which is typical of many tourist destinations like NYC. There is a difference, and areas like the Upper East Side are grossly underserving of the "watch your back"...and anyone that uses that as "advice" is just using a scare tactic for whatever reason.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
u really think so?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM

absolutely....Bedstuy and East New York are probably worthy of "watch your back" whereas the upper east side is "normal precautions and common sense." There is a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City