Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times

Advertisements

I'd invest in Jamaica, Queens.

Any area in the general Jamaica area -from Northern Jamaica to Southeastern Jamaica.

Why?

Diverse, accessible to parkways, expressways, stores, businesses, public transportation,
but still not too near or too far from Manhattan.

I see NY in twenty years - Expensive, expensive, expensive!!!!!!

with homes ever changing from one-family with decent sized lots surrounding homes
to taller two and three-families, semi-attached, with just little plots for grass and flowers front and back rather than real yards

and more and more businesses

Korean owned vegetable stands and manicurists, Carribean Bakeries, 99-cent stores

but also pharmacies, restaurants, furniture stores, jewelry stores, clothes stores, banks, beauty palors, real estate offices, art stores, supermarkets, ice-cream stores, yummy!

everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortGreener View Post
I predict the Russian mob is going to control the city in 20 year's time.
i think the russian mob will be on their way out in about 10-15 years making way for the new Northeastern Mexican Mafia. Then there will be a mob war running rampant as the mexican mafia battles the central american crime family for control!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpPastThree View Post
This is what's listed on Realtor.com now. Which ONE area would YOU buy into (if you were using my money!):

Jamaica, NY
Barker Ave, Bronx
Mariners Harbor, SI (are these trailers? I can't tell from the pics)
Lefferts Garden, Brooklyn
Olinville Ave, Bronx
Fordham Hill Oval, Bronx
Decatur Ave, Bronx
Grand Concourse, Bronx
Kew Garden Hills (where is this?)
Shoreview Coop, Far Rockaway
Midland Beach, SI
Thieriot Ave, Bronx
as for where i would spend YOUR money right now.. hmmm
i would vote for just about anywhere in
north flatbush, midwood, parkslope south, brooklyn.
Far Rockaway.

I dont know enough about the bronx/queens to make a call there and id never spend any $$ in staten island as a future investment.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM

151 posts, read 157,490 times
A bigger gap between the rich and the poor, isolated crime areas, more public housing for the poor, no middle class

Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM

68 posts, read 449,746 times
Kew Gardens Hills is the predominantly orthodox Jewish neighborhood between Flushing and Kew Gardens in Queens. It's mostly very quiet and safe and made up of single family detached and semi-attached homes as well as some townhouses.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM

10,070 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
This is what's listed on Realtor.com now. Which ONE area would YOU buy into (if you were using my money!):

Jamaica, NY
Barker Ave, Bronx
Olinville Ave, Bronx
Fordham Hill Oval, Bronx
Decatur Ave, Bronx
Grand Concourse, Bronx
Midland Beach, SI
Thieriot Ave, Bronx
I'd go with Staten Island or Brooklyn (Lefferts Garden). The Bronx seems like good things are happening, but isn't stable.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Shanghai has an ugly skyline in my mind. It doesn't contrast well with the traditional 19th century European buildings on the other side of the Bund.
shanghai and 19th century european buildings?

to answer op's question, i think nyc in 20 years would be a lot nicer to a rich person and a lot worse from an average person's view point

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
my concern is who will do the civil service jobs if nyc turns into a playground for the very rich and a safe haven for the very poor?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I can tell you who will be doing the civil service jobs and where they will be living: a mix of races that live in Melrose, Mott Haven, and Hunts Point. This is where the city is concentrating alot of new developments for the working/middle class....many of whom are in civil service jobs. In fact, they have already commenced a development in Melrose that is targeted specifically for NYC teachers...with downright CHEAP rents in a brand new development with housing, easy access to the city, new amenities, and parking!

The whole area is slated to be the resource for the city's middle class job pool..and with that comes the amenities and resources that will make it a very liveable, safer, and pleasant community.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM

216 posts, read 829,498 times
Default gambling on the future

For the OP......
As a former Bronxite (21 yrs), then a Queens resident, and a few years in Manhattan as well, I have my 2 cents to offer.

The bronx was beautiful. I lived on the Grand Concourse, in the upper 170s.
It was called the Park Avenue of the Bronx; sensational old, art deco apartment buildings, with very roomy apartments, subway (IND line) every few blocks - took you into midtown manhattan in half hour max. I am now in a NYC 'burb, and can't wait to get out. My kids are grown and gone, and I divorced the husband , house is in contract, and I'm almost outta here.

The bronx was a great place to grow up and I've also thought that it would be a good investment for the future. I broached the topic of buying a co-op in one of the concourse apartment buildings, to my cousin, who has also left NY. It would be great to have a place to stay when we visit, or just rent out and watch it increase.

But, really, it's a crapshoot. You're gambling on any of the areas you listed. Nobody knows for sure how long it might take to regentrify some of the areas. Nobody even knows if it will happen ever. Some of the nicer areas on that list might turn ugly. The city is like an endlessly evolving organism. God awful areas have become very trendy, very pricey places to live.

And, btw, by the time you move into NYC, consider the fact that a movie will probably cost $55 each, and a quart of milk might be $20. Everything costs much more in NY.

Quote:

Jamaica, NY
Barker Ave, Bronx
Olinville Ave, Bronx
Fordham Hill Oval, Bronx
Decatur Ave, Bronx
Grand Concourse, Bronx
Midland Beach, SI
Thieriot Ave, Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City