Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,948 times

Advertisements

I, like others, have been trying to make sense of this lottery and interview process. I got a lot of good amount of information from hunterspointsouth.com and the people in this forum. I applied for HPS and got a high log number in the 40,000s, but am keeping my fingers crossed and trying to remain hopeful as it was for middle income with CB2 preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I just got a call. They're going to send me an email with a list of all the documentation they need. So excited!

(For the record, I applied for a 2-person, moderate-income apartment. I have the CB2 preference and a log number in the low 5,000s.)

Congratulations and best of luck! Please report back on the interview... This would be really valuable especially when it comes to deciphering the differences in the middle income process.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:01 PM

28 posts, read 53,980 times
Quote:
I just got a call. They're going to send me an email with a list of all the documentation they need. So excited!

(For the record, I applied for a 2-person, moderate-income apartment. I have the CB2 preference and a log number in the low 5,000s.)
Congrats!!! And please let us know how everything goes!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 PM

103 posts, read 230,668 times
I was middle income as well. I believe that the low income units require much thorough income verification, especially since low income applicants receive more leniency in the credit check and have to recertify with HPS annually to keep their apartment.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 AM

170 posts, read 315,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokibxs View Post
Congrats!!! And please let us know how everything goes!
So far, they've just asked me to supply photo ID, employment verification letter/form, 4 most recent pay stubs, any additional income documentation, and current federal and state tax returns. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 14,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamineDreams View Post
I was middle income as well. I believe that the low income units require much thorough income verification, especially since low income applicants receive more leniency in the credit check and have to recertify with HPS annually to keep their apartment.
Oh, I did not realize this, thanks so much for letting me know. I thought that the process you described was for low income. This is helpful. Did they mention anything specifically to you about the credit check? I.e. Which agency they use to check and what kind of scores would get you to pass for middle income?

And I assume once you get through the interview stage they would meet with you again and show you which units are available to you?

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 230,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirlnyc View Post
Oh, I did not realize this, thanks so much for letting me know. I thought that the process you described was for low income. This is helpful. Did they mention anything specifically to you about the credit check? I.e. Which agency they use to check and what kind of scores would get you to pass for middle income?

And I assume once you get through the interview stage they would meet with you again and show you which units are available to you?

Thanks again for all the info.
I don't recall the name of the third party service they use for the credit histories but I remember them saying you need to score above "500" to be considered for housing.

i was informed that after the verification, if I'm found eligible, I can choose an apartment that I qualified for (which in my case can be either a 2 or 3 bedroom unit.) Since one of my household members has impairments, I would be able to personally see all of the apartments as opposed to only viewing floor plans.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Okay, so today I also got a letter in the mail asking me to call and schedule an appointment. They're asking me to bring in copies of my ID, last 4 pay stubs, tax returns--basically the same things I was asked for via email.

They also ask me to complete an asset certification, using the enclosed form. Problem is, there is no enclosed form. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what that's about, but can anyone here clue me in?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM

Further updates: I don't have to complete an asset certification; that's just for if you don't meet the income requirements. And they want to conduct a phone interview instead of an in-person interview. They said it should only take 10-15 minutes. I hope that's not a bad sign.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 53,980 times
Quote:
Further updates: I don't have to complete an asset certification; that's just for if you don't meet the income requirements. And they want to conduct a phone interview instead of an in-person interview. They said it should only take 10-15 minutes. I hope that's not a bad sign.
How did they inform you about in-person to phone change? I wonder if they realized there is 924 apartments to fill in and if they decided to speed up the process a bit.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokibxs View Post
How did they inform you about in-person to phone change? I wonder if they realized there is 924 apartments to fill in and if they decided to speed up the process a bit.
I got a call today from Related about a phone interview. When I asked about the letter I received telling me to schedule an in-person interview, the woman I spoke to said that things had changed and they'd decided to do phone interviews. Something about not having apartments ready to show yet.

Overall, I'm really kind of surprised at how little documentation they've asked me for so far. Based on everything I'd read about the process, it seemed like they would be vetting a lot more financial statements. Perhaps they're not looking as deeply at the people in the moderate income category?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery