Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Maybe it should be reversed and hordes of blacks and Hispanics should regularly be walked up and down Park Avenue...and then we can listen to the duennas holler.
They do, and not the rich ones either. The best part is I feel far less racial tension in the uber wealthy areas of Manhattan than anywhere else, of course that doesn't fit the politically/socially accepted narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Don't get too excited. Highbridge is pretty run down and very hood. Take a walk there sometime and see for yourself. I went for a walk through the area and I could feel a depressing atmosphere of poverty and drug addiction there.

Not saying it can't change for the better, but if it does it will probably be one of the last Bronx neighborhoods to do so.
Exactly, I think in reality the city will continue to use the Bronx as an area to place the poor for a long time and eventually I believe they'll eventually start to do the same to parts of Staten Island and Queens. I don't see much gentrification beyond the traditional Manhattan-Brooklyn axis except parts of Western Queens.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Exactly, I think in reality the city will continue to use the Bronx as an area to place the poor for a long time and eventually I believe they'll eventually start to do the same to parts of Staten Island and Queens. I don't see much gentrification beyond the traditional Manhattan-Brooklyn axis except parts of Western Queens.
I was talking specifically about the Highbridge neighborhood, not the entire Bronx.

I don't agree with you at all. We keep seeing new people posting where to live on here and with their budgets the Bronx and Queens usually end up being the only options within NYC. People are being pushed out of Brooklyn and Upper Manhattan. There are plenty of reasonably safe options in the West Bronx available already and as more people are forced to move there it will continue improving and getting more expensive.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
For the past couple of years if I remember correctly is that Queens even though its middle class still continues to have the fastest rates of growing poverty mainly amongst Hispanic and Asians. As for the Bronx, historically it has been a poor/working class borough. Traditional NYC gentrification has reached the Bronx mainly in Southern portions of the South Bronx with an small Williamsburg/East Villagesque artist community, and transient types who can no longer afford Manhattan and Brooklyn. Anywhere that has a 30 minute commute into Manhattan will have some sort of gentrification coming its way

Quote:
I was talking specifically about the Highbridge neighborhood, not the entire Bronx.

I don't agree with you at all. We keep seeing new people posting where to live on here and with their budgets the Bronx and Queens usually end up being the only options within NYC. People are being pushed out of Brooklyn and Upper Manhattan. There are plenty of reasonably safe options in the West Bronx available already and as more people are forced to move there it will continue improving and getting more expensive.
This is true. I only see ripple effects coming.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but the topic of this very thread shows that political and social concerns will stymie that. I just don't think the Bronx is as attractive to people as Brooklyn due to housing stock, subway coverage and existing cultural attractions. I would love to see the Bronx come back, trust me, I just have my doubts.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Anywhere that has a 30 minute commute into Manhattan will have some sort of gentrification coming its way.
This. It is simple mathematics and an axiom of real estate: location, location, location.

The Bronx is going to gentrify in the future as long as there is money in Manhattan.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the topic of this very thread shows that political and social concerns will stymie that.
Nothing can symie new people moving in, landlords charging higher market rates, and conditions improving as a result. Native residents can battle government sponsored projects but they can't do anything about the real estate market changing organically.

Quote:
I just don't think the Bronx is as attractive to people as Brooklyn due to housing stock,
The Bronx has some amazing huge pre war apartments. It also has a lot of great single family, multi family, and row houses. Many of them are huge and have garages and/or driveways. It also has brownstones in the south bronx in areas like Mott Haven and Longwood.

Quote:
subway coverage
That depends entirely on where in the borough you live. The 4 and the D train are prime Manhattan trains and thus run very frequently and are express in Manhattan. If you live anywhere near the Grand Concourse you've got express access to the east and west sides of Manhattan without any connections which is better than many of the outer borough and upper manhattan neighborhoods. I'm at the very last stops of the 4 and D and I still have a reasonable manhattan commute, particularly when the trains are also express in the Bronx during rush hours.

The 1 (riverdale) and the 6 (pelham bay) are not so great because they are local but they go to further out areas. There is also the 2/5 lines which provide east/west manhattan access to the east Bronx but I don't think this line is as fast or convenient as the 4/D.

I haven't been in Brooklyn enough to compare the train situation myself but I've heard bad stories about some of the trains in Brooklyn like the G train which doesn't run very often. I've heard that people in Bay Ridge call the N and R trains the "never" and the "rarely". I never wait very long for the 4/D trains from my apartment.

Quote:
and existing cultural attractions.
The Bronx has the most parkland of any borough in NYC. It also has the Zoo, Botantical Garden, Van Cordtlandt, Yankee Stadium, etc..

If you're more referring to things like restaurants, bars, and other cool hangout and culture spots then you are right those are missing and this is one of the biggest drawbacks to living in the Bronx today. However if the gentrifiers come, those things will follow quickly.

Quote:
I would love to see the Bronx come back, trust me, I just have my doubts.
I don't have any doubts the Bronx is going to improve and parts of it will become popular. Exactly which neighborhoods and at what time is what is most difficult to predict.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
They do, and not the rich ones either. The best part is I feel far less racial tension in the uber wealthy areas of Manhattan than anywhere else, of course that doesn't fit the politically/socially accepted narrative.

So, you never heard of "block busting" then?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The Bronx has a ton of beautiful architecture that in other cities would be clamored after for its architectural value. From the Grand Concourse to leafy pre-war single family suburban neighborhoods. The Bronx has no shortage of desirable architecture. (There sure is a lot of blighted mid century rejects, though).

Nonetheless, there is a ton of property that, but for the reputation of the Bronx and decay, would command millions in the right circumstances. And I am not suggesting the 'right circumstances' necessarily means displacing decent hard working people.

And honestly, as far as attractions, the Bronx is my favorite borough as a nature lover. Yup, a nature lover. Woods, marshes, gardens, shoreline. The Botanical Gardens, Wave Hill, Van Cortland park, Orchard Beach, Pelham Bay park... The overlooked jewels of New York City.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Don't get too excited. Highbridge is pretty run down and very hood. Take a walk there sometime and see for yourself. I went for a walk through the area and I could feel a depressing atmosphere of poverty and drug addiction there.

Not saying it can't change for the better, but if it does it will probably be one of the last Bronx neighborhoods to do so.
thank you. I've been emphasizing this for a while. You know what I noticed too? Everything is behind plexi-glass. Even liquor in the store. You know how, in a lot of stores bottles are kept on the outside? Not in Highbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City