Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 AM

81 posts, read 154,647 times

Advertisements

In what regard do NYC employers view a masters degree from Harvard Extension School? The school has a bit of a stigma in the Boston area (which I think is quite stupid, HES students take the exact same courses, they're not modified in any way) any information would help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
In what regard do NYC employers view a masters degree from Harvard Extension School? The school has a bit of a stigma in the Boston area (which I think is quite stupid, HES students take the exact same courses, they're not modified in any way) any information would help, thanks.
It's not about the courses but admissions. People admitted to very competitive programs have an advantage.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:07 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
"Extension" has a very bad connotation for ANY college or university.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:46 PM

298 posts, read 706,927 times
You don't want to work for anyone that is going to fall for that.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,187 times
People do not care where you come from but as long as you have something to offer them. How do you show that. You got bums who graduated from Havard.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
I would LOVE to be a graduate of HARVARD University! LOL! I can visualize a lot of helicopter parents drooling at this prospect - now all their kids can enter Harvard.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 38,313 times
Harvard Extension graduate here.

First of all, it's not accurate to say that there is 100% overlap in coursework. There are differences.

BTW, Forest Hills, HUES has already celebrated its 100 year anniversary, so it's not new. And while anyone can can take a class, not everyone gains admission and even fewer graduate. If you truly want to graduate from Harvard (that's what it will say on your diploma) you should give it a try. I would be interested in hearing how things go.

For some reason people have trouble wrapping their mind around the idea that open doors to the best education they can obtain is a good idea. Thank goodness John Lowell, Jr. and the President and Fellows of Harvard College feel otherwise.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,329 times
As long as you put Harvard Extension or Harvard University (which I believed is suggested) on your resume, (and not Harvard - which would lead people to assume you went to Harvard College) you should be fine. Anyone could research the entrance requirements and course load and find that the degree is not akin to the University of Phoenix.

The only major problem I or anyone else who is either an HR manager or Harvard graduate would have is if you tried to pass yourself of as a Harvard College graduate.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 12-11-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 PM

30,631 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
As long as you put Harvard Extension or Harvard University (which I believed is suggested) on your resume, (and not Harvard - which would lead people to assume you went to Harvard College) you should be fine. Anyone could research the entrance requirments and course load and find that the degree is not akin to the University of Phoenix.

The only major problem I or anyone else who is either an HR manager or Harvard graduate would have is if you tried to pass yourself of as a Harvard College graduate.
Right. I don't see any problem with just mentioning that you have a degree from "Harvard University" and listing your major/year. After all, your degree comes from Harvard University, which, of course, is comprised of multiple colleges/schools. I'd say the same thing to people who graduated from HBS or HLS or Harvard College. If some people who got into Harvard the more traditional way don't like it, tough.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 38,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
As long as you put Harvard Extension or Harvard University (which I believed is suggested) on your resume, (and not Harvard - which would lead people to assume you went to Harvard College) you should be fine. Anyone could research the entrance requirements and course load and find that the degree is not akin to the University of Phoenix.

I think what you are referring to is how an undergraduate Extension School graduate (ALB) might be confused with a Harvard College graduate (AB). Not an issue for me as I studied Management in a graduate program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City