Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 PM

36 posts, read 57,005 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I just moved into city and decided to take a studio in Astoria Queens.

I liked the location and size but I was told that all the utilities run on electricity.

It seems like all the apartments in the building are like that too, so heating, A/C, hot water, fridge, and everything pretty much run on electricity and there is no gas.

The thing is I'll have to pay for all of it. The rent is $1450 which is not too bad for a studio near train station - but do you think my electricity bill will be really expense? its 400 ft size and pretty much one big space since it is studio.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with electric appliances such as heater? What should i expect to pay? If it's really expensive I'm considering to not use heater as much as i can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskoo87 View Post
Hi All

I liked the location and size but I was told that all the utilities run on electricity.

It seems like all the apartments in the building are like that too, so heating, A/C, hot water, fridge, and everything pretty much run on electricity and there is no gas.

The thing is I'll have to pay for all of it. The rent is $1450 which is not too bad for a studio near train station - but do you think my electricity bill will be really expense? its 400 ft size and pretty much one big space since it is studio.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with electric appliances such as heater? What should i expect to pay? If it's really expensive I'm considering to not use heater as much as i can
My sister had a place in Bay Ridge and all of the service was electric. It was very expensive.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 PM

205 posts, read 507,760 times
You pay for your own heat? But yes, it will be expensive. Get some blankets and start layering those sweaters and careful on how much you use that electric oven too.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 PM

419 posts, read 625,905 times
depends how you use it, roughly around $150-$200 should cover everything if you set your temp at 71 at nighttime only which in my opinion is pretty comfortable during winter and hot water set on lukewarm.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
It's expensive, but when I had all electric, I also had 1700 sq ft. To say the least, my bills shot up to $500+ during the winter... but this was Chicagoland with Comed.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 57,005 times
Hey Javawood

My space is very small tho, more like 400 sq ft. Do you think it will be still very expensive?

The landlord says he can provide $50 credit per month from December to March - with this can I expect to pay around $200 with reasonable use?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Try calling Coned, provide them with the address and unit number and ask them if they can provide 4 months of bill amounts from last year from December through March. I am not sure they will give it to you but it can't hurt to try.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Wait for you first bill
James and then we can talk.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I lived in an all electric studio (400-450 sq feet) for a few years and my electric bills were pretty high in the winter and summer. I also had a very outdated (inefficient) heating and cooling unit, which didn't help.

On average in the winter, my bills were $150-$200. In the summer, they shot up as high as $400. I didn't try to conserve energy (nothing ever got unplugged, etc), and I did have a dishwasher than was ran every few days, so YMMV.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskoo87 View Post
Hi All

Is $1450/mo( not including heat and hot water) for a 400 sq ft studio in Queens really considered "not too bad" these days ?

I'd count on at least 250/mo in electric bills on average so your rent is really $1,700/mo. Doesn't sound like any kind of a deal to me….not for 400 sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: