Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
As for the Chinese money floating around, I haven't seen it myself yet, no one is knocking down my door offering all cash offers like in Cali. All the Chinese people that I know buying the condos in Flushing and Forest Hills and houses Northeastern Queens are either white collar workers with decent six figure incomes, business owners, or have existing properties that have appreciated significantly to leverage off from. I'm nosy so I look up the mortgage amounts of homes that get sold by me and I haven't seen one that's all cash. Most just put down a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
Someone paid $2mm to buy the penthouse in one square fulton recently (see link below), which I thought no one would ever pay so much to own a property in flushing.
See it: $2M Flushing penthouse condo deal closing soon | QueensCourier.com

$3bn mega project to turn the area around Mets Stadium into a retail destination (next to flushing and Corona).
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nyc-cou...6939--mlb.html

Elhmurst is already known for having a chinatown (see wiki link below).
Elmhurst, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elhmurst, Corona, and Flushing all have a Chinatown (each of different sizes). It is not a huge leap of logic to think the whole area will turn into one big Chinese community within the next 5-20 years when the original poster will be looking to sell (if he buys in this area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Things should get better for Elmhurst once the LIRR station opens:

Elmhurst LIRR Station Gets $40M Towards Reopening
Elmhurst LIRR Station Gets $40M Towards Reopening - Elmhurst - DNAinfo.com New York

When that happens, residents will benefit from having nearby amenities, parks/playgrounds, hospitals/clinics, gyms and a reasonable and comfortable commute to Manhattan.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 PM

218 posts, read 473,401 times
I just looked at the apartment in the continental and thinking about putting an offer. The maintenance for a 2 bedroom is about 800 dollars, includes everything except electric and cooking gas. I just have a good feeling that the building and the new library next door will up the value of the area and draw attention to those who never thought they would live in Elmhurst. If we just get a few young professionals to have the same vision as "starbucks" I believe Elmhurst will get better in the near future. Hopfully this is the right decision I am making. Below is a new article I found on the development.

The Continental Park in Elmhurst Attracts Attention

Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
I just looked at the apartment in the continental and thinking about putting an offer. The maintenance for a 2 bedroom is about 800 dollars, includes everything except electric and cooking gas. I just have a good feeling that the building and the new library next door will up the value of the area and draw attention to those who never thought they would live in Elmhurst. If we just get a few young professionals to have the same vision as "starbucks" I believe Elmhurst will get better in the near future. Hopfully this is the right decision I am making. Below is a new article I found on the development.

The Continental Park in Elmhurst Attracts Attention
Make sure you make a very low offer because nobody has paid more than $220,000 for an apartment in that complex,most of the sales have been in the mid 100's,sales appear to be very slow and the developer quoted in the article appears to be lying because there are no contingent sales( no UCC filings) as of today…. and the last closing was for $160,000 on 8/22/14. Actually,I wouldn't be surprised if it is impossible to get outside bank financing on this place because of the history,low owner occupancy and debt but you seem determined so good luck.

I would definitely insist that any contract be subject to getting financing by a bank chosen by you ,so that you get the benefit of a legitimate bank's analysis of the finances of the corporation.DO NOT TAKE THE DEVELOPERS FINANCING IF OFFERED.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-17-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Make sure you make a very low offer because nobody has paid more than $220,000 for an apartment in that complex,most of the sales have been in the mid 100's,sales appear to be very slow and the developer quoted in the article appears to be lying because there are no contingent sales( no UCC filings) as of today…. and the last closing was for $160,000 on 8/22/14. Actually,I wouldn't be surprised if it is impossible to get outside bank financing on this place because of the history,low owner occupancy and debt but good luck.
Agree with the above, if your serious about buying here you should already be seeking a lawyer who has co-op experience and understands how to read financial statements.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 PM

218 posts, read 473,401 times
Thank you! The agents said that most units are gone. I am thinking people are still in the process of the contract. I spoke to my lawyer already and he will go over the contact plan etc in details. Chase and Citibank are certified lenders in the building.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you! The agents said that most units are gone. I am thinking people are still in the process of the contract. I spoke to my lawyer already and he will go over the contact plan etc in details. Chase and Citibank are certified lenders in the building.
I wouldn't trust the agent as he is looking to make a sale to get paid. Please make sure your lawyer is not someone recommended by the agent due to conflict of interest.

Article below was posted today say there is still a lot of availability.
Co-Ops at The Continental Park in Elmhurst Are Moving Quickly | Brownstoner Queens

Also make sure to check Wells Fargo they are currently dominating the lending market and offer more competitive rates.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:58 PM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
curious how big a unit are you looking for?

And yes agents will almost always say that units are gone or that they have a ton of offers.

I went to see an co-op 6 months ago, the agent told me he had many offers above asking and to "act fast" if I wanted it. It was overpriced and I never made an offer. 6 months later the unit is still for sale... wonder what happened to all those above asking offers...lol

What ethnicity are you also if that's not too personal... I just ask because that area and co-op seems like it has potential to be the next china town... and if Flushing is any indication, that will not be a good thing for the aesthetics and cleanliness of the area.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
What ethnicity are you also if that's not too personal... I just ask because that area and co-op seems like it has potential to be the next china town... and if Flushing is any indication, that will not be a good thing for the aesthetics and cleanliness of the area.
Guessing you've never been to Elmhurst before.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
Neighborhood is already a run down, dirty, and ugly looking place (this is the county of immigrants). Currently the majority is Hispanic immigrants (mainly Mexican) who are just trying to survive NYC, upside is Asian community has more money to develop the area. Anyone who buys here is looking for cheap (by NYC standards) and safe area to live that is a easy commute to Manhattan. If you are looking for pretty areas, you will need to pay more (Brooklyn) or live farther away (suburbs). Even the up and coming areas in Brooklyn are overpriced and way more dangerous than any area in queens (look up the NYC crime map).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City