Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM

218 posts, read 473,401 times

Advertisements

I see what your saying. I can't only be on the 7 train line due to work. But that sounds like an amazing deal. I also don't like the area of JH near all the other trains. Thanks for your help though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I have noticed that the Chinese who have immigrated here in the recent past do not have much of a sense of aesthetics and the areas that contain a lot of Chinese do not tend to be particularly attractive areas. There may be a whole set of other types of Chinese who could build really beautiful areas, but they must be the Chinese who are either staying in China or moving to areas that are not Queens and Brooklyn. Just my opinion.
Aesthetics depend a lot on income levels and the process is gradual. You will see better architecture pop up over time.
For example, here is a development planned for Sunset Park:

Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Aesthetics depend a lot on income levels and the process is gradual. You will see better architecture pop up over time.
Wow so Flushing will have Flushing commons and the Brooklyn Chinatown will have this. This definitely sticks out among anything else in Brooklyn other than the modern buildings in and around Brooklyn Heights. So these are going to be the new Chinatown centers I guess.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Wow so Flushing will have Flushing commons and the Brooklyn Chinatown will have this. This definitely sticks out among anything else in Brooklyn other than the modern buildings in and around Brooklyn Heights. So these are going to be the new Chinatown centers I guess.
There is a lot more going on in Brooklyn, and its no surprise since Brooklyn was the fastest growing borough in population. Add to the fact that the current Queens borough president is very anti-development.

Here is just one more example, this is just a massing of whats going on in Pacific Park (near Barclays Center), being built by a Chinese developer, 14 buildings total:

Last edited by Gantz; 12-18-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
The Sunset Park development looks nice, but was rejected by the community board.

Also, Elmhurst has a few new nice buildings like the one on the corner of Queens Blvd and Broadway (right near the coop building being discussed in this thread) https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7367...yxP72IXDFA!2e0

However, the existence of one nice new condo building, or even a few of them, doesn't mean that all the blocks with the horrible looking huge blaring signs and storefronts that have ugly aesthetics will be magically eradicated.

I do understand that what I consider to be nice aesthetics has a correlation with a higher socio-economic group, and that if those levels increase, then aesthetics are likely to change. But I think the time frame for an overall change in aesthetics in a place like Elmhurst could take a very long time. Just a guess.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
There is a lot more going on in Brooklyn, and its no surprise since Brooklyn was the fastest growing borough in population. Add to the fact that the current Queens borough president is very anti-development.

Here is just one more example, this is just a massing of whats going on in Pacific Park, being built by a Chinese developer, 14 buildings total:
People don't report it as much but queens is going through gentrification. For the exception of Astoria and LIC, the Asian version of gentrification (rest of queens) will look different compared to Brooklyn.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The Sunset Park development looks nice, but was rejected by the community board.
Community boards don't really have a say in developments, they can only "suggest" improvements. City planning is who can cancel projects and there was already a lot of money sunk into this site.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM

218 posts, read 473,401 times
Henna- I know the building on your google maps link, it is a rental building. It is called The Elm East | Luxury Rentals | Queens New York City ApartmentsElm | right next to starbucks. They also plan to build a similar building right across the street because of the overwhelming request from the current building.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Community boards don't really have a say in developments, they can only "suggest" improvements. City planning is who can cancel projects and there was already a lot of money sunk into this site.
Looks like some Chinese developer brought the land for $50 mil. Plus the cost of planning, yeah a lot have already been sunk in. For people to throw millions into a project they must know that they can go through with it.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
People don't report it as much but queens is going through gentrification. For the exception of Astoria and LIC, the Asian version of gentrification (rest of queens) will look different compared to Brooklyn.
I assure you, Queens is not flying under the radar for people who keep up with the developments. Queens has a lot more potential than whats going on right now though. It is being developed in spite of, not with the help of, local politicians. Last census, Queens was the slowest growing borough, which shouldn't be the case since it has such strong fundamentals for growth (low crime and lots of land with low population density compared to other boroughs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Looks like some Chinese developer brought the land for $50 mil. Plus the cost of planning, yeah a lot have already been sunk in. For people to throw millions into a project they must know that they can go through with it.
Yes, if not the current model, something relatively close to it will be build there. They will probably just shorten the office tower portion and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City