Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you mean for the cops to display what they did at a funeral - repeat a FUNERAL is ok, then absolutely not. It's not gonna change my mind at all. Military put their lives on the line too - you think they would ever turn their backs on Obama? At a funeral?
For the cops, it was a funeral to honor one of their own. For the mayor it was a political damage control game. They, the officers, saw his appearance for what it was and turned their back to his crocodile tears.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
If you mean for the cops to display what they did at a funeral - repeat a FUNERAL is ok, then absolutely not. It's not gonna change my mind at all. Military put their lives on the line too - you think they would ever turn their backs on Obama? At a funeral?
Don't change the subject. If you want to discuss Obama and the military, start another thread.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:13 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
For the cops, it was a funeral to honor one of their own. For the mayor it was a political damage control game. They, the officers, saw his appearance for what it was and turned their back to his crocodile tears.
And for the families it was a funeral for their lost ones. So forget all that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Don't change the subject. If you want to discuss Obama and the military, start another thread.
I'm not falling for that. You overstand the metaphor I was trying to convey. Miss me with that.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
At the hospital....I didn't care. Not at a FUNERAL! 2 people are DEAD!
I was giving you an example of what happens when low people get an opportunity to speak with those at the highest position. Say something he doesn't like, you're gone. So the cops didn't say a word, but got their point across.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I was giving you an example of what happens when low people get an opportunity to speak with those at the highest position. Say something he doesn't like, you're gone. So the cops didn't say a word, but got their point across.
At the hospital I didn't care when they turned their backs on him. That to me made more of an impact than doing it at somebody's funeral.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
At the hospital I didn't care when they turned their backs on him. That to me made more of an impact than doing it at somebody's funeral.
Same with me.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not falling for that. You overstand the metaphor I was trying to convey. Miss me with that.
You're partially correct. The military will not do such a protest of a sitting president they disrespect. I served under Clinton so I have some experience in this. Military regulations are laws to those in the military. The President is the highest in their chain of command. Any perceived form of disrespect, be it by enlisted or officer, can result in punishment. For officers, the punishment can be a reduction in rank and discharge from the military. I served in the Navy so I'll only speak for enlisted sailors. The punishment for enlisted sailors depends on the ship's captain. The sailor could face a combination of 3 months restricted to the ship (whether at sea or in port), reduction in rank (which also means a reduction in pay), and loss of half of pay for a certain period of time. On top of that, they may also discharge the enlisted sailor after those three months, a discharge that may prevent him or her from getting certain types of government or security related jobs.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:28 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
The mayor disrespected the entire NYPD prior to the shooting. He should have stayed away from the funeral. He didn't know the cops shot and he knew the NYPD absolutely hate him for statements he made on television about the whole of the NYPD. He insulted them by forcing himself onto the funeral for political damage control reasons.
The mayor, as the elected leader and therefore representative of the people of a city, attends a funeral on their behalf. That is protocol. That is how it's done, in any city. For him NOT to go would be political.

This begs the point of who the police are really turning their backs on here, if the mayor represents the people of New York. Something to think about.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The mayor, as the elected leader and therefore representative of the people of a city, attends a funeral on their behalf. That is protocol. That is how it's done, in any city. For him NOT to go would be political.

This begs the point of who the police are really turning their backs on here, if the mayor represents the people of New York. Something to think about.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City