Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,386,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The union had absolutely nothing to do with this. As a matter of fact, from my vantage point, it seemed to start with a contingent of what looked to be NJSP. The NYPD side of the procession was actually the last to catch on. I whispered to someone next to me, "Is this what I think it is?"
If it really started with the New Jersey State Police, and spread spontaneously to the NYPD, I hope I don't next hear it was on orders of Governor Christie (R) as a dirty trick to to embarass Mayor diBlasio (D).

I agree that a funeral is no place for any kind of public demonstration. Tempting when everyone's together, but still, a funeral is sacred. Demonstrating there backfires. Most people identify with the family's deep grief.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:45 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That was very immature and unprofessional behavior by NYPD. They are another group whose antics are now being exposed for the world to see.
They have a right to express their opinion. DeBlasio was elected on a platform of demonizing the cops and dividing people by race.

Now two officers are dead, and the police are rightfully angry at DeBlasio.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:52 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Could your boss' words or actions possibly get you killed, SF?
No, because I'm not a cop. Different profession, different standards. Either way professionalism is still desired. When they turned their back on him at the hospital I wasn't mad at that. Speak your mind. But at somebody funeral??? It's not even about you - it's about 2 DEAD people. DEAD. They not coming back. Now you tell me if this is the right venue to act so childish. You're from another planet if you think that's ok.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2014, 03:00 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, because I'm not a cop. Different profession, different standards. Either way professionalism is still desired. When they turned their back on him at the hospital I wasn't mad at that. Speak your mind. But at somebody funeral??? It's not even about you - it's about 2 DEAD people. DEAD. They not coming back. Now you tell me if this is the right venue to act so childish. You're from another planet if you think that's ok.
Exactly. I'm still not clear as to how this situation is DeBlasio's fault, but if you have a problem with him, a funeral IS NOT the place to do it. A funeral is about paying your respect to the dead and their family, not a platform to push political objectives. It's disgusting and disrespectful.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:02 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
No, because I'm not a cop. Different profession, different standards. Either way professionalism is still desired. When they turned their back on him at the hospital I wasn't mad at that. Speak your mind. But at somebody funeral??? It's not even about you - it's about 2 DEAD people. DEAD. They not coming back. Now you tell me if this is the right venue to act so childish.

Different is right. If you can't see the difference in your job and the job of a police officer and the imperative for support from the mayor no amount of discussion is going to change your mind.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Thank you. A funeral is to commemorate the life of the person who died. It's an occasion for mourners to say goodbye, and for friends and family to comfort one another in their grief. It is utterly selfish, and, quite frankly, cruel for these officers to turn it into a showcase for their agenda, even silently.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:07 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
So it's fine for protestors in the street to call for killing cops and the city mayor to meet and support them but it's not ok for police to put on a silent protest by merely turning their back to a mayor who turned on them? Beat police can't meet nor speak with the mayor. Only time they see the mayor up close is when providing security to the mayor and his family. So the mayor has managed to bad mouth and insult the entire NYPD who are his and his family's personal bodyguards. Dumb move! While working security for the mayor is not the time to try to talk to him about grievances. Think of him like a corporate CEO. How often do low level hourly wage employees get to speak one on one with their CEO? Most times things have to go through a chain of command. My company once had a horrible CEO. He held what he called an "open forum" meeting. One surgery registered nurse voiced a concern most of the hospital nursing staff had. She wasn't disrespectful towards the CEO at all. He didn't like what she said and they put her on suspension. She had more than 15 years with the hospital as a surgery RN. The day they told her she was on suspension, she went to another hospital, applied for work, was immediately hired, and the day before she was to return to work from her suspension, she turned in her walking papers. The rest of the "Open Forums" with that CEO had less than half the normal turn out and absolutely no one who wasn't an administrator spoke a word the entire time. He was gone within a few years.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Different is right. If you can't see the difference in your job and the job of a police officer no amount of discussion is going to change your mind.
If you mean for the cops to display what they did at a funeral - repeat a FUNERAL is ok, then absolutely not. It's not gonna change my mind at all. Military put their lives on the line too - you think they would ever turn their backs on Obama? At a funeral?

Old 12-27-2014, 03:10 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Thank you. A funeral is to commemorate the life of the person who died. It's an occasion for mourners to say goodbye, and for friends and family to comfort one another in their grief. It is utterly selfish, and, quite frankly, cruel for these officers to turn it into a showcase for their agenda, even silently.
The mayor disrespected the entire NYPD prior to the shooting. He should have stayed away from the funeral. He didn't know the cops shot and he knew the NYPD absolutely hate him for statements he made on television about the whole of the NYPD. He insulted them by forcing himself onto the funeral for political damage control reasons.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So it's fine for protestors in the street to call for killing cops and the city mayor to meet and support them but it's not ok for police to put on a silent protest by merely turning their back to a mayor who turned on them?
At the hospital....I didn't care. Not at a FUNERAL! 2 people are DEAD!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City