Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times

Advertisements

Much of Harlem still feels ghetto to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Much of Harlem still feels ghetto to me..
Agreed.
It's so "gentrified" that I can't afford to live there, but it still feels so unsafe I wouldn't want to.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBXTRUCHO View Post
Harlem , compared to the Bronx, is rather safe. However; Harlem still continues to have a bad element to it.
It's weird how some projects clean up their act and become completely safe (alphabet city, kips bay) but others stay troubled perpetually (harlem, bed stuy, etc..)

Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
The projects close to Columbia were cleaned up by the city, as Columbia does a major expansion in West Harlem.

Central Harlem projects from 105-115th are still pretty bad.

The housing projects in the lower part of East Harlem are not that bad.

Again Harlem has long had major institutions like Columbia, City College, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, other hospitals, and Hunter College School of Social Work. All of these people safely work or live in the neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 73,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla_2019 View Post
Anywhere that is not majority white is considered "unsafe" to white people. No one is asking you or any other white person, or other group for that matter to move in.

It's just annoying hearing how "unsafe" a neighborhood is, based on the white group's standards.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit annoyed. I kept trying to make myself stop reading but couldn't. I can't help wishing white folks would gentrify their own neighborhoods...I'm sure the Appalachia is in need of some good organic, locally sourced, fairly traded, brewed by Wisconsin hipsters, coffee. I'm sure The D could use some enterprising, entrepreneurial recent grads to start a food truck or 6, eager to tell their neighbors to turn down that music and stop practicing the drums so loudly. They could create their very own Fort Greene minus Spike, just short of 8 mile.

Yes, NYC has plenty of jobs but watching the "revitalization" replacing those awful 99cent stores and hair salons, would suggest they don't need the jobs. Poor white neighborhoods could use some gentrification too, I'm pretty certain.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnlover03 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit annoyed. I kept trying to make myself stop reading but couldn't. I can't help wishing white folks would gentrify their own neighborhoods...I'm sure the Appalachia is in need of some good organic, locally sourced, fairly traded, brewed by Wisconsin hipsters, coffee. I'm sure The D could use some enterprising, entrepreneurial recent grads to start a food truck or 6, eager to tell their neighbors to turn down that music and stop practicing the drums so loudly. They could create their very own Fort Greene minus Spike, just short of 8 mile.

Yes, NYC has plenty of jobs but watching the "revitalization" replacing those awful 99cent stores and hair salons, would suggest they don't need the jobs. Poor white neighborhoods could use some gentrification too, I'm pretty certain.
Seems like someone is a tad upset about being priced out...

Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 73,815 times
Baby, trust me, I'm not priced out. I just don't want to see fake whitey first thing in the morning, headed to the "General Store" with $10 goat cheese on my block. I miss real NYers white black or otherwise. That's what I'm upset about.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Exactly I remember the piragua guys you know the shaved ice man you bought from the street corner for like 50 cent now like a dollar. Well some white guy discovers it and now wants to sell it to you for like 5 dollars, get the fck out here and take your smrgsburgh back with your trump supporters crap back to midwest bubble fck.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnlover03 View Post

Not for nothing, but this just sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

The stereotypical yuppies are moving to neighborhoods that are already solidly white and expensive, most of the white people moving to actual majority-minority neighborhoods are bohemian/hipster types. And what makes you think they're out to impede on the lifestyle of the minorities who live there?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Exactly I remember the piragua guys you know the shaved ice man you bought from the street corner for like 50 cent now like a dollar. Well some white guy discovers it and now wants to sell it to you for like 5 dollars, get the fck out here and take your smrgsburgh back with your trump supporters crap back to midwest bubble fck.

Lol what the hell are you talking about? Stereotypical Trump supporters tend to avoid places like NYC.

And if anything be mad at the shaved ice guy for raising prices, it's up to him how much his ices cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City