Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New York worth it?
Yes, I think you should go New York. 9 39.13%
I think you should go to Philadelphia instead. 2 8.70%
It would be better if you opt for Chicago. 2 8.70%
I wouldn't go to New York if I was you. 6 26.09%
You're out of luck. You'll need to figure something else out. 1 4.35%
You're basically screwed, Bro. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Well I dunno I luv nyc grew up here and it's home it's in the blood a little, but I'd advise you to go philly or Chicago over nyc. Philly is probably more similar, but Chicago is a metropolis and chill in it's own right although always been to cold for me. Now I don't want to get you down but I've travelled across the country lived in a few different states and a couple countries and honestly the kind of life you're describing in nyc may have been practical 20 yrs ago but today it's tough. If you don't work in tech or finance in nyc and you have a choice not sure I'd live here. Housing costs are just way to high and living costs in general are expensive. If you like the nyc vibe I'd choose philly allot cheaper, jobs aren't bad and housing is maybe half the price on avg. Chicago is a chill city as well and more affordable.

Now that being said if you really want to check out nyc give it a trial run first. Why not stay with relatives a couple months or get a cheap room far out in the burroughs on budget see how you like it. Also your plans aren't bad, but if you're planning that much why not go to college. If you're moving anyway establish a residence in a state with a state college and apply there. Or go to community college a couple years then transfer. I went to penn state (hence how I know philly well visited allot.) But I had a bunch of friends who moved to pa got residence spent 2 years in a cheaper community or a state feeder college then they graduated penn state with in state tuition without to much debt. Much better being in nyc with a degree and a nice paying job then trying to rough it believe me. I also did have some friends who took the firefighter test then went into the military not a bad option if you don't mind it. I took the nyc firefighter test myself studied hard passed with flying colors right after high school, but they take 5-6 yrs to call you. By that time I had graduated college and was making 3 times the starting salary in a tech field, so it was hard to consider taking it. But I did have a friend who is a firefighter now and he went into the navy got out just around the right time to take that job still luvs it. Main advice I'd give you is not really a race you're young you can try something out first see how it takes for any of those 3 cities b4 you commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM

515 posts, read 875,551 times
Didn't read all of your original post but judging from a couple of your comments/replies you sound very ambitious - good for you. At the same time, your posts show that you have very little to no street smarts. This city and the people in it will chew you up, spit you out and walk all over you. If you come here in your current state (education) you will run out of that 8k in a couple of months. What kind of 18year old has 8k in his savings account anyways?

EDIT: Forgot to mention ... Becoming a firefighter or any civil service career path in general is a process that can take several years. It's not something that you interview for on Monday and you start work on Tuesday. Hundreds of thousands of applicants apply for these jobs - and only a couple hundred get hired every year. Besides, you should check if the FDNY, NYPD and other agencies would disqualify you for the meds you are on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City