Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,166 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon!
I'll be moving from Annapolis, MD - to New York City.. I have friends, and "family" there so I'm not a complete tourist to the area. I plan to move to Washington Heights, where all my friends and family are.
I am aware the rentals for a one bedroom is around $950 (sometimes with specials) and $1200 - this is all Craigslist searched. With broker fee's of course as it's all agents who post on Craigslist for NYC.

I work for the State of Maryland, and Session does not end until April 16th, when I'm able to resign. I will be moving to NYC April 17th. My biggest concern at the moment, is a job search. I have a history of the hospitality industry (hotel sales) and would like to get back into that. How long in advance should I start sending out resumes and responding to job ads?
I have also read that having an out of state address on a resume is not a good idea, what is my best bet?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsNestor View Post
I have also read that having an out of state address on a resume is not a good idea, what is my best bet?

Thank you

Put a friend or family memebers address on your resume. But don't start sending out until you actually can interview.For all you know they might want you to interview TOMORROW and start the day after. Saying you arent available to start for a month wont get you a job.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM

182 posts, read 511,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Put a friend or family memebers address on your resume. But don't start sending out until you actually can interview.For all you know they might want you to interview TOMORROW and start the day after. Saying you arent available to start for a month wont get you a job.
hey, this is really good advice, thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM

285 posts, read 868,823 times
Default local phone # and a good cover letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

If you want, you can go a step further and get a local phone from google voice. It's free and the calls will just be routed to whatever # you choose. Makes you look like you're a little more grounded in NY. Also, write a cover letter to make your resume stand out from all the rest who want to move to NYC. Once you interview, you can explain yourself further but you don't want the resume to get passed over in the first place.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Default Moving to NYC with windfall

I recently inherited a substantial sum of money, around 125,000, with a piece of land that should sell for about the same amount.

Up until this point, I have worked minimum wage food service jobs, and have never had a credit card. My fiance is pretty much in the same boat. We are planning on moving to the city so that I can attend a specific school, but after reading all these threads about how good credit and employment are an absolute must to rent an apartment, I'm starting to worry. Even with this large amount of money, will I be unable to rent a place because of my nonexistent credit and lack of a job?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM

155 posts, read 445,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbaocuet View Post
I recently inherited a substantial sum of money, around 125,000, with a piece of land that should sell for about the same amount.

Up until this point, I have worked minimum wage food service jobs, and have never had a credit card. My fiance is pretty much in the same boat. We are planning on moving to the city so that I can attend a specific school, but after reading all these threads about how good credit and employment are an absolute must to rent an apartment, I'm starting to worry. Even with this large amount of money, will I be unable to rent a place because of my nonexistent credit and lack of a job?
No credit is better than bad credit. That's what the broker told me. My girlfriend and I never had credit cards either, but we had good credit scores anyway and we got a place no problem. Assuming you don't have a ton of overdrafts on your checking account or something, then you're fine.

With that amount of money, you will have absolutely no problem because you can offer a year or more up front, which will entice any landlord. They won't care that you don't have a job if you can still pay them. Just tell them you'll pay the entire lease up front, so even if you don't find employment for a year they're covered. I think you are in good shape.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,792 times
You don't have to worry about Broker's fees. Mortgage brokers tend to charge a lot of money. You are better off finding a FSBO in NYC. I am a guru in NYC so I know the lowdown

Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,720 times
Default feeling safe in nyc

I live in the UK, I came to NYC in 2008 on a mission to collect a 1968 classic car, I arrived on Friday preceeding Presidents day. I stayed at the Marriot in EWR airport NJ. and stayed for 5 days.

I have read the thread and understand that there is a question about safety.

I would like to say that I travelled alone, rode the subway and path train into NYC wandered around some very quiet and cold alleyways I never once felt under duress.

Monday 15th Feb at 0600 I caught the NJ transport out of terminal 'A' EWR to Toms river. I waited for the driver for 20 mins in the basement area of treminal 'A' there was hardly a soul to be seen, as it was Presidents day Some big guy with a hood was staring at me for about 5 minutes, and I felt slightly uneasy untill he spoke and just said "how ya doin?" to which I replied I'm ok how about you. after that the bus arrived and I was on my way.

I went to Spring Street 1-9 Elizebeth near the car auction, it was a bit run down but no different from the UK.

I think a lot of the aprehension comes from watching CSi ... just go about your business if you get smoked you get smoked. life goes on

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-15-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,694 times
Hi everyone, I recently was offered a position in Chelsea, so I will be relocating to NYC in about a month. I've never gone through the NY rental brokers process, so any layman's explanation is greatly appreciated. Does anyone think it is possible to find a 1 bedroom/studio in Manhattan that is around $1500/mo? Or would I need to look off island? Any neighborhood suggestions would be helpful. I'm a young woman, so saftey is a priority. It sounds like the rental process should not be a problem since I already have a job. If anyone knows of any other obstacles I should prepare for I really appreciate the warning.

Thank you!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDtoNY View Post
Hi everyone, I recently was offered a position in Chelsea, so I will be relocating to NYC in about a month. I've never gone through the NY rental brokers process, so any layman's explanation is greatly appreciated. Does anyone think it is possible to find a 1 bedroom/studio in Manhattan that is around $1500/mo? Or would I need to look off island? Any neighborhood suggestions would be helpful. I'm a young woman, so saftey is a priority. It sounds like the rental process should not be a problem since I already have a job. If anyone knows of any other obstacles I should prepare for I really appreciate the warning.

Thank you!
You won't find a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan for that price. Check Queens or Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City