Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Firstly you landlord will report the payment as an expense of doing business and he may very well send you and the IRS a 1099 form indicating the payment was made.

You won't be able to hide it and you will be sorry if you try.
It will be reportable by you as a capital gain so taxes will be modest. With NY's share expect to pay out about 28%.

I have no personal experience with buyouts but I do know that what may sound like a lot of money often isn't. You will need alternate housing, and you may find repercussions with your financial aid (only God knows how schools and banks treat capital gains windfalls.)

Practically speaking, if a landlord's first offer is $75K rest assured his LAST offer will be quite a bit higher. Few people get the best deal taking the first offer at anything. You are a fish swimming in a big sea...think twice about that first worm.

(How many bedrooms, what is the rent, location in LES? How many of you are there?)
This is good advice - I would add, get a lawyer who is specifically experienced in tenant buy-outs. They exist, and they will be very familiar with the "market" having settled many similar cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In that case you are definitely a "new" New Yorker ! I had thought native ...?

I have seen some incredible payments for leases, even some I thought were not just in any way.
Am not *New* anything nor naïve.

If you read my statement correctly I said highly doubted the LL would hand over such sums in *CASH*, not that he wouldn't at all.

Please keep up.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
if it was me I would take it as a long term capital gain . just make sure your taxes are honest in case they audit it as I said there is no ruling at this point that says yes it is a long term capital gain rate.

be aware nys and nyc do not have any such special rate and it will be taxed locally at regular income rates. only the federal taxes have special reduced long term capital gain rates .

Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am not *New* anything nor naïve.

If you read my statement correctly I said highly doubted the LL would hand over such sums in *CASH*, not that he wouldn't at all.

Please keep up.
Ah, I see, makes sense.
"Cash" as in literally rather than as a stand-in for payment.
My mistake.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if it was me I would take it as a long term capital gain . just make sure your taxes are honest in case they audit it as I said there is no ruling at this point that says yes it is a long term capital gain rate.

beware nys and nyc do not have any such special rate and it will be taxed locally at regular income rates.
I had thought income below a certain level was taxed at the normal rate ?
i.e., not the capital gains rate.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I had thought income below a certain level was taxed at the normal rate ?
i.e., not the capital gains rate.
huh ? not if it is on capital gains and not regular income. in fact under a certain amount you can qualify for zero capital gains rates . I think for a couple it is 63k but don't quote me, the exact amount I would have to look up.

long term capital gains rates are lower than regular income rates and range from zero to 20% depending on total income. in fact it can hit 24% if you trigger the Medicaid surcharge tax on higher incomes.

we hit 24% for 2015 with those lease rights sales we made..

Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
huh ? not if it is on capital gains and not regular income. in fact under a certain amount you can qualify for zero capital gains rates . I think for a couple it is 63k but don't quote me, the exact amount I would have to look up.
I meant - an individual's income tax rate as opposed to the capital gains rate.
I know far more about the latter ...
I had a friend who mentioned something about this, sold art, earns a modest income and this helped apparently.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:26 PM

long term capital gains on allowed items are much lower than regular rates . art is considered collectables and as collectables are taxed at a max of 28% . they do not qualify for special capital gains rates.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
long term capital gains on allowed items are much lower than regular rates . art are collectables and as collectables are taxed at a max of 28% . they do not qualify for special capital gains rates.
That's why I have an accountant with current credentials !

Old 03-18-2015, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 14,302 times
Quote:
I would strongly urge you to consult a lawyer. You do not mention your rent, suffice to say that I know people who received upwards of $250,000. This is a bargain for landlords, who make the money back in no time (and then some). A lawyer could also help with the income vs. settlement thing, there could be conditions where this would not be considered income ...? you never know.
Rent is around $800 in the lower east side. I think the apartment might also be illegal to live in. There is no insulation, heating is poor, hasn't been renovated / painted for over 30 years, etc. Would I be able to use this against the landlord if I do try to negotiate a better offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: