Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's stupid. People can share, or live in slightly less desirable areas. No one needs to live in a central, prime area.

I made 50k the first year I moved to NYC, and I was fine. Never had any money problems.
Exactly. You do not need to make 150K to live comfortably in a decent area of NYC. I just moved here, but I have one roommate, live in Nolita, and with my new job I'm going to be making enough money to afford my rent/bills/food, and also have extra money to save and do fun things - and it's nowhere near 150K. Not even six figures. It can be done, and it really irritates me that people are so quick to be negative and say that it can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
$150k is what it cost for a single person to live in NYC and eat out or use Seamless Web everyday and have laundry done.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Is it though? I budget $80/mo for laundry 'cause I'm lazy and drop off service is nice and $300/mo for food to essentially say $10/day. I've been doing that since I made $65k living in SoHo and while I make much more than that now, my expenses haven't really changed, or in fact have lowered since moving to the Lower East Side.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:50 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
sound right ....

Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
My girl and I make well above this estimate and these days, the very last place I'd ever want to live are the "trendy" downtown areas. SoHo, the Village are waste lands of what they once were. Fanny pack wearing tourist traps and stores for Eurotrash wealth (massive empty apartments). Uptown is my stomping ground and will remain so no matter how much I make.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:38 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
My girl and I make well above this estimate and these days, the very last place I'd ever want to live are the "trendy" downtown areas. SoHo, the Village are waste lands of what they once were. Fanny pack wearing tourist traps and stores for Eurotrash wealth (massive empty apartments). Uptown is my stomping ground and will remain so no matter how much I make.
District 2 has some of the best public schools in Manhattan. In addition to having a quick commute to work.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Posts like these exaggerate the costs of living in New York City.

It's all about how a person chooses to live. If someone decides to eat out most meals in trendy, nice restaurants, must live in the nicest areas of the city (Tribeca, Soho, Financial District, West Village, Williamsburg, etc), buys pricey clothes, goes on trips often, bars it up several times a week, has pricey gym membership at Equinox (200/month), on and on, then Yes, $120k is barely cutting it.

But for MOST educated, budget-minded and responsible people, they can make $50-60-70k in New York City easily livable and sustainable.

In my experience people who think you MUST make this to survive or live here, live well beyond their means and/or are used to many luxuries on a daily basis.

Or, they do NOT live in New York City. Many friends I have or relatives who do not live here, always think "everyone in NYC must be millionaires." Nope, not even close.

Trust me, I get that living on and having that kind of money is amazing here in NYC--or anywhere else. But those amounts are BY NO MEANS a "MUST" to live here. Sort of ridiculous, really, to think that way. lol
I know people in the above salary ranges who have PURCHASED HOMES in NYC.

Spending lots of money on rent (and not purchasing) shows you as an idiot who simply blows away his money. Scenarios like the OP are the fantasies of people moving here and living a certain lifestyle.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM

30 posts, read 26,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
If you want to live alone, then yeah I guess. I made SoHo work on half that with only 1 roommate in a large 2bd for the past year.
That's what New York is all about anyways finding ways to curb the system before it eats you alive. Good job!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There are a lot of ridiculous assumptions being made here.

401k contributions are deducted from gross income before taxes are applied. The federal tax contribution here is pre 401k.

Health insurance at $160/month? If someone is being paid 120k, you better believe that they don't pay $160/month for health. Maybe more like $40/month, if that.
I don't make anywhere near 6 figures (but some of my coworkers do) and our health insurance is about $160 a month. Company pays 80% and we pay 20%. Our insurance that the company offers is $800 a month for a single person. It's going up 15% next year according to a notice I just received from Oxford in the mail.

I work in HR and if you have a company under 50 employees, you pay a lot more if you want a decent plan unless you join a PEO, which my company won't do.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:30 AM

223 posts, read 255,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Posts like these exaggerate the costs of living in New York City.

It's all about how a person chooses to live. If someone decides to eat out most meals in trendy, nice restaurants, must live in the nicest areas of the city (Tribeca, Soho, Financial District, West Village, Williamsburg, etc), buys pricey clothes, goes on trips often, bars it up several times a week, has pricey gym membership at Equinox (200/month), on and on, then Yes, $120k is barely cutting it.

But for MOST educated, budget-minded and responsible people, they can make $50-60-70k in New York City easily livable and sustainable.

In my experience people who think you MUST make this to survive or live here, live well beyond their means and/or are used to many luxuries on a daily basis.

Or, they do NOT live in New York City. Many friends I have or relatives who do not live here, always think "everyone in NYC must be millionaires." Nope, not even close.

Trust me, I get that living on and having that kind of money is amazing here in NYC--or anywhere else. But those amounts are BY NO MEANS a "MUST" to live here. Sort of ridiculous, really, to think that way. lol
I agree, I know people who are making $75K and are living comfortably as well as those making $250K but are drowning in debt/having to budget - A LOT of the figures in this thread aren't factual it's based off of preferences and lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City