Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,841 times

Advertisements

I happened to bump into the gay pride parade, went for an appointment, and then encountered it afterward, and although it began at noon, at 5:30 there were still people launching at the starting point - maybe because it was big, but it also seemed like one of the slowest-moving parades I've seen. I was thinking that it rivaled the Puerto Rican parade for sheer noise, but I realized that a lot of it was the crowd - they were so exuberant and managed to keep up the cheering for hours.

Personally, I thought the same-sex marriage issue was misguided, in terms of both relative importance, and the small number of people affected. (Keep in mind that with discrimination of women, women are half the population, with discrimination against blacks, they're about 13% of the population, but gays less than that, and the percentage actually considering marriage is presumably tiny.) But, still, there was something great about the high spirits of the parade, even the disorganization, and something great about it all feeling very New York - full of determined, assertive people, and the fact that it was really a parade about an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 02:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,781,565 times
Wth. I'm assuming you're new to this city and or don't have gay/lesbian/trams friends.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:31 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,841 times
No, you happen to be wrong on both assumptions. But, regardless, do you feel people have to support every single issue that a friend supports, and do you feel that people's opinions should be based on who their friends are?

Of all the many issues facing the country, I just feel that something like black citizens being gunned down is more important than gay citizens not marrying. And, no, I'm not black, either.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 PM

19,078 posts, read 14,024,985 times
Be part of the progressive hive mind or else!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 PM

518 posts, read 826,984 times
I didn't check the numbers but this years parade seemed much bigger. I wanted to shout at them all, "Be careful what you ask for!". For, just like straights, many will now get married for all the wrong reasons. We will be seeing lots of gay divorces in the coming years with no Obama in the White House to push through a Gay Marriage Relief Act.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times
They should be able to suffer like the rest of us.

Not sure what black people shooting each other in the streets has to do with gay marriage.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,881,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure what black people shooting each other in the streets has to do with gay marriage.
Unless one gets juxtaposed with another. That would be frightening, if not amusing to say the least.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Quote:

and the percentage actually considering marriage is presumably tiny.)
What is the basis for that "presumption?"
Aren't you the one who complained about the gazillions of people marching on Sunday?
There are hundreds of legal advantages to being married. Do you think gay couples are particularly stupid in not being able to recognize them?

Quote:

We will be seeing lots of gay divorces in the coming years
How many so far? Massachusetts has had gay marriage for 11 years now. Any data on divorce rate compared to odd-sexed marriage?

No gay couple has ever HAD to get married...they marry because they want to, often desperately and against extreme pressure NOT to. Can the same be said of straight marriage? "Honey, you're over 30 and not getting any younger."
"You're gonna marry my knocked up daughter, Eliza-Belle, or face the business end of my shotgun, or my name isn't Ezekiel Redneck."

More major agitation?
Yes, perhaps for freedom to buy or rent without discrimination. Perhaps for the right NOT to be fired or denied employment because of sexual orientation. (Yes indeed...we do NOT have those protections yet.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-04-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 09:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,021,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They should be able to suffer like the rest of us.

It won't ever happen like that.

I seriously doubt you'd ever have the same percentage of LGBT people getting married as straight people and those that really do get married would be married because they really want to be married to the person.

There's certainly no social pressure of LGBT people to marry. Unlike that for straight people.

In laws often aren't really a factor in gay marriages either since gay relationships are often kept separate from their families (in some cases one or both of the gay partners may have been discarded by the family).

Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,021,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What is the basis for that "presumption?"
Aren't you the one who complained about the gazillions of people marching on Sunday?
There are hundreds of legal advantages to being married. Do you think gay couples are particularly stupid in not being able to recognize them?

How many so far? Massachusetts has had gay marriage for 11 years now. Any data on divorce rate compared to odd-sexed marriage?

No gay couple has ever HAD to get married...they marry because they want to, often desperately and against extreme pressure NOT to. Can the same be said of straight marriage? "Honey, you're over 30 and not getting any younger."
"You're gonna marry my knocked up daughter, Eliza-Belle, or face the business end of my shotgun, or my name isn't Ezekiel Redneck."

More major agitation?
Yes, perhaps for freedom to buy or rent without discrimination. Perhaps for the right NOT to be fired or denied employment because of sexual orientation. (Yes indeed...we do NOT have those protections yet.)
Tax purposes, job benefit/insurance purposes, and of course custody and insurance purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City