Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,192 times

Advertisements

Hello All! My wife and I found a great apartment on West 152nd between Amsterdam and St. Nicholas and are moving forward to buy it. We are familiar with Hamilton Heights in general but mostly the area below 145th. I was hoping that the good people of this forum could provide some insight into this block and the surrounding area in terms of general safety, the walk home from the subway late at night, etc.

As I mentioned, we are very familiar with the neighborhood below 145th so comments that address the specific area where the apartment is located are especially welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeM View Post
Hello All! My wife and I found a great apartment on West 152nd between Amsterdam and St. Nicholas and are moving forward to buy it. We are familiar with Hamilton Heights in general but mostly the area below 145th. I was hoping that the good people of this forum could provide some insight into this block and the surrounding area in terms of general safety, the walk home from the subway late at night, etc.

As I mentioned, we are very familiar with the neighborhood below 145th so comments that address the specific area where the apartment is located are especially welcome.
Your buying without having a clue about the neighborhood? Talk a walk on a Friday or Saturday night there to give you an idea.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM

As I mentioned, I am quite familiar with the neighborhood as a whole. I am not very familiar with the blocks ranging from around 148th-155th between Amsterdam and St. Nick. Since this area goes pretty much block by block, I was hoping to get some insight about this specific section of the neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned, I am quite familiar with the neighborhood as a whole. I am not very familiar with the blocks ranging from around 148th-155th between Amsterdam and St. Nick. Since this area goes pretty much block by block, I was hoping to get some insight about this specific section of the neighborhood.
145th is not the same neighborhood as 155th Street. You right by Bethune Gardens and near Polo Grounds. Both are NYCHA complexes. Again, I suggest you go take a walk up there on a Friday or Saturday night.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 AM

Bethune Gardens is for senior citizens and the Polo Grounds are on the other side of Jackie Robinson Park. I'm not too concerned about either. I did go last Saturday around 10PM. Some of the blocks had a lot of activity but it seemed to be mostly families hanging out.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Ok good so you are aware

Old 07-27-2015, 12:14 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Bethune Gardens is for senior citizens and the Polo Grounds are on the other side of Jackie Robinson Park. I'm not too concerned about either. I did go last Saturday around 10PM. Some of the blocks had a lot of activity but it seemed to be mostly families hanging out.
You have been there in the day time, and on a summer Saturday night. That will be about the loudest and wildest it will get. If you felt comfortable at those times you will be fine. In the winter it is quiet no one is outside except on the weekends in the daytime. Its very similar to below 145th.

You are correct Bethune Gardens is for senior citizens. They sit outside in the day and evening, if you get to know any of them, they tell you what is going on in the neighborhood. Polo Grounds is far away because its down in the valley below the viaduct. On a map it looks closer.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-nicholas.html

Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:

I live on 150th and Amsterdam--have been up there since July of 2012. Broadway from 143rd-ish up to 151st and creeping northward--is gentrifying like wildfire. Amsterdam is gentrifying much more slowly, but it is happening there too. As for 152nd street between those avenues, that particular block is full of larger type apartment buildings--so it could be noisy at times.

The areas above 150th street tend to be street-by-street, so as others have said, I'd walk around at various times during the day, on different days, and ask long time neighbors about any potential issues.

Long-term, this area is a great buy (if not too pricey already), because it's in the process of blowing up, development-wise.

Broadway from about 145th up to 150-151st and moving northward is night and day of what it was in 2012! My friends come to visit me from Chelsea, East Village, and Upper West Side, and have all said how much more and more that stretch of Broadway looks like the Upper West Side--and I agree, it's getting nicer.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
145th is not the same neighborhood as 155th Street. You right by Bethune Gardens and near Polo Grounds. Both are NYCHA complexes. Again, I suggest you go take a walk up there on a Friday or Saturday night.
Yup it's still pretty hood in that stretch. That public housing is entrenched and is not likely to go anywhere any time soon. It's buttressed by more attractive areas so basically it comes down to personal tolerance level. If you can't stomach seeing some ghetto folk around and all that comes with it then you shouldn't move there.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-29-2015 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City