Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 AM

100 posts, read 89,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
While I believe we need to preserve landmarks and historic areas of the city, all the new construction is exciting and itself historic. I don't agree with those who believe we should keep everything exactly the same and erect walls around the city to keep people out.
first of all. nobody needs your opinion. who are you? mayor? or may be rich developer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
I like those buildings, they make the city look so futuristic...like out of those Sci-Fi movies. But I personally wouldn't live in those though
may be you just cannt afoord it. so stay in your pre war rent stabil building.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegiateSchoolNY View Post
Skyscrapers are a product of the lack of land under 120th St. Skyscrapers are efficient in that they can hold a lot of people in less space. If you can't build horizontally, you might as well build vertically.
may be in asia, but not in the states. most of us filled by 1 story houses. NYC, Chicago have this tall building too show how much money finance business has. Look at apple in CA, apple has a ton of money, but work in one - two story building.

skyscraper is just a fashion, like lambo in a car world. I like it.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
I'm okay with these new skyscrapers for the most part, but there should really be a cap on how many of those can be built within a square mile. I don't find them aesthetically displeasing in themselves, but build too many and they will all combine to be an eyesore.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I'm okay with these new skyscrapers for the most part, but there should really be a cap on how many of those can be built within a square mile. I don't find them aesthetically displeasing in themselves, but build too many and they will all combine to be an eyesore.
stay in Brooklyn.
Manhattan always been tall. I read some books about 30s, people already likes skyscrapers. And I m sure there were lot of people like you in the past that try to tell somebody that there are to many tall buildings in Manhattan.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Surely New York has enough skyscrapers?

The buildings are crazy tall and aplenty.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM

More!! We need more tall buildings! Who doesn't like them - go to you village!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 PM

164 posts, read 160,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
I like those buildings, they make the city look so futuristic...like out of those Sci-Fi movies. But I personally wouldn't live in those though
I think they look ugly and bland. Proportions are all wrong.

From a distance they're kinda reminiscent of those old early industrial chimney pipes. As if the city needed more a grim post industrial feel to it.

If you want a futuristic feel, other cities do it far better.

Last edited by Points of Convergence; 08-11-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
A super-tall (1200ft+) is actually coming to Brooklyn.

It'll be Downtown so I think it's a great location.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/150809951

(NOT ACTUAL BUILDING, JUST RENDERING THE SIZE^^^^)

Quote:
No building has ever eclipsed 1,000 feet in any of the boroughs outside Manhattan and only a handful of towers have crossed that mark in Manhattan, though that list is growing. One source familiar with the deal suggested that Mr. Stern could build a tower potentially higher than the Empire State Building, whose spire stands at 1,454 feet. Only one other residential tower plans to soar that high, a 1,775-foot-tall building being developed by Extell Development, which is currently under construction in Manhattan on West 57th Street, known as Billionaires' Row.
So 9 Dekalb will be a supertall but right next door at City Point, it was announced that Extell is also the developer for the third & final phase. We may (likely 93% lol) see 2 towers above the 1,000ft mark right next to each other.

Exciting times if you're a city/architecture enthusiast. The updated Brooklyn skyline will indeed put it in the top 10 for US cities and the entire NYC skyline will be massive with the additions in BK above. Not factoring in the "smaller" towers coming in the 600" - 700" range.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powcity View Post
It seems like New York City is going through a bit of a skyscraper boom with building multiple towers over 1,200 feet in the midtown area. What has caused this recent small boom in skyscrapers in NYC?
Cheap money from an 8 year stimulatory FED.
Think "real estate bubble."
Copious incentives from City and State.

I have often wondered which of them will be the first to fall over because of shoddy construction and cost cutting (and mafia concrete.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-12-2015 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: