Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times

Advertisements

I think he'll have about as much luck getting rid of the ped plazas as he did the horse carriages.

I do like how he has made repaving many of the streets a priority. Keep going...there more work to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Bloomberg's proposed congestion pricing plan would have ameliorated some of the traffic problems in the city but it never came to a vote in the assembly. BTW, removing the pedestrian plaza in Time Square is a stupid idea. Just issue permits for performers and ticket those who don't have it. Not to mention it's going to cost this city money to remove it. This is what when you don't improve a city's public transportation infrastructure. This city cannot rely solely on vehicular traffic with the city's population growing ever so fast. We need more trains and express buses but the state doesn't want to nor does it care.

This will hurt his vision zero plan. I thought he wanted to make the streets pedestrian friendly?
He's amending the plan to be called "Vision One." Apparently, topless women are more dangerous than cars & trucks.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:55 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadventurer View Post
i think he'll have about as much luck getting rid of the ped plazas as he did the horse carriages.

I do like how he has made repaving many of the streets a priority. Keep going...there more work to do.
+1

Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
And where are all these other areas for people to just go and hangout that people are talking about? Central Park? Yeah, that's nice at night - so much so that a civilian patrol has started to keep people safe. Union square? Yeah, why have two similar things within fifty blocks of each other? And just hope occupy Wall Street doesn't show up.
The city has entirely too many people, and the pedestrian plaza is somewhat of a necessary evil. Transportation in general should be improved - I'd love to see entire avenues shut down to traffic and have above line monorails with more things for people to do - though we can't even pay for subway countdown clocks bc of union pensions.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
There's no problem with the plaza.

The problem is de blasio and the police. The police don't respect de blasio. Guilani wouldn't take any of that crap. Neither would bloomberg. There'd be civil rights violations like nobody's business. They'd be arresting elmo and topless woman like water if they started causing trouble.

The police confronted de blasio and he blinked.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM

142 posts, read 265,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
actually i'm sure quite a few would...

the plaza and the attractions there are after all, intended for people to gather there.
People don't go to Times Square to hang out in red chairs and look at topless women. They go there to go in the many stores, take the traditional Times Square selfie, and grab some overpriced food from Bubba Gump and the like. Eliminating the plaza will not move the people elsewhere except on the narrow sidewalks. Come on....

Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Quite often, pedestrians DIDN'T walk on the crowded sidewalks before 2009. It's silly to think it would be safer with more traffic lanes.

Easy solution.
They can bring back vehicular traffic AND make the sidewalks wider than they were before.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:59 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Quite often, pedestrians DIDN'T walk on the crowded sidewalks before 2009. It's silly to think it would be safer with more traffic lanes.
This is true. And, even today, you see more than a few tourists walking INTO THE STREET to bypass others on the sidewalks taking pictures, etc. I don't want to see such activity increase if the plaza was removed.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So far this is the best move he has done as mayor, if it goes through. I seriously hope that the mayor can eliminate times square pedestrian Plaza. The pedestrian Plaza is a huge eye sore and it causes way too much traffic bottleneck in with cars passing through times square. Blasio gets my vote for his 2nd term if he gets rid of pedestrian Plaza in times Square.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/21...html?referrer=
There were bottlenecks before and there will always be bottlenecks down in that area. I don't see why pedestrian plazas should be eliminated when on the whole most people seem to enjoy them.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I think they should keep the plaza but remove the seats and tables. Do they REALLY need to sit in the middle of Times Square? Sit on the red stairs if you're that tired. Or one of the multiple restaurants in the area - go inside, take a seat and order a coffee. Same goes for the plaza in Herald Square. Do we really need chairs and tables in the middle of the street?
I can agree to that. I never liked the look of the chairs and tables anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: