Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Taxi Driver Fatally Shot In The Bronx: Gothamist

Taxi driver got shot in the back of the head this morning. This happened in Beaumont avenue in the Bronx. This taxi driver had a wife and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Whatever helps you sleep better at night. But the last I checked nobody ever got killed by a stray knifing.
I sleep well at night because I avoid the "Hood". Let's take a good look at where every NYC killing happen? The NY papers like to make NYC is filled with blood everywhere. This is not 1990 when mothers were sleeping with their kids in bath tubs to avoid bullets. Christ, If you would have told me that white people were moving into Harlem or Bed Stuy or Bushwick in 1990, I would have called you a nut. NYC real estate is doing great. Crime is very low for a city of over 8 million folks. Unfortunately , In areas where the population is mostly black or latino, crime is still a problem but not the proportions of 20-25 years ago. Unless you think Detectives are burying corpses to keep homicide numbers down

Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I sleep well at night because I avoid the "Hood". Let's take a good look at where every NYC killing happen? The NY papers like to make NYC is filled with blood everywhere. This is not 1990 when mothers were sleeping with their kids in bath tubs to avoid bullets. Christ, If you would have told me that white people were moving into Harlem or Bed Stuy or Bushwick in 1990, I would have called you a nut. NYC real estate is doing great. Crime is very low for a city of over 8 million folks. Unfortunately , In areas where the population is mostly black or latino, crime is still a problem but not the proportions of 20-25 years ago. Unless you think Detectives are burying corpses to keep homicide numbers down
Crime's not a major problem in Cambria Heights at all.. never felt uncomfortable there. I've stayed there for several months recently with my boyfriend and his parents and they say the same thing. I used to jog outside at night and never encountered anything that would be considered "seedy".

Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM

372 posts, read 398,470 times
The cops fired 28 rounds and hit a bunch of bystanders outside of the Empire State Building to kill a murderer a few years ago. Anyone that thinks it's just in the "ghettos" is either laughably dishonest or not paying attention.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I live in a predominately polish neighborhood. Within the 8yrs that I've lived here I have yet to hear 1 gunshot. Meanwhile if i were to drive 20 minutes into Brownsville, gunshots, shootings, murder are the norm. Why is that?
POVERTY.

I'm also appx 15-20 minutes away (by car) from Brownsville in a predominately black middle-class neighborhood and rarely if ever hear gunshots.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Crime's not a major problem in Cambria Heights at all.. never felt uncomfortable there. I've stayed there for several months recently with my boyfriend and his parents and they say the same thing. I used to jog outside at night and never encountered anything that would be considered "seedy".
Thank you. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" middle-class neighborhood regardless of the race of its inhabitants, but you can't tell the keyboard klansmen otherwise lol...

Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Listen, Look at the stats. Most crimes occur in areas of color. That's a fact backed up by the FBI. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-113pct.pdf, Look at the 1990-1993 numbers. The area has seen large reductions in crime but how would you compare that to a large white population area? http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-111pct.pdf, This area is not even mostly white anymore but was in 1990. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-106pct.pdf, Howard Beach? Where does most crime occur in that area? Other side of the Belt towards Ozone Park.

One of the few good areas left in the Bronx. Four men ages 18 through 23 arrested on Friday, September 4 in connection with case • Bronx Times, Has to be robbed by outside savages. I know already, My block in east NY is very quiet. Wakefield is a great area. Brownsville is quiet where I am.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:03 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Again, as your fellow NRA member posted, the safest countries in the world have much tighter gun control laws then anywhere in the US. Your point is moot. Especially considering that it's ridiculously easy to circumvent any gun restriction/regulation thanks to easy gun access in other states/cities and the unregulated second hand market, where the majority of these illegal weapons are obtained.

NYC is the safest big city in the country. Period. Much safer than other big cities with lax gun laws, especially considering it's size.

------------------------------------------------

While I don't know if this applies to you, Airbourneguy, I find it hilarious that conservatives insist that guns don't kill people, people, do, yet at the same time shout out that drugs kill people and should therefore remain banned. At least remain consistent in your beliefs.

I'm not against gun ownership, but it should be heavily regulated and monitored. Enforcement agencies should also have proper resources and funding, otherwise all the regulation in the world means nothing if you can't enforce it. Same applies to drugs. Logic = consistency = safer world.
Good try conflating two issues with completely different concerns and political considerations. But the "don't tread on me" conservativism to which I ascribe most definitely believes the ghetto should have the right to drug itself into oblivion. Freedom is an absolute right which should not be infringed. And that includes the right to kill yourself with drugs and ruin your family. I'm totally okay with that as long as we recognize that the principle of "until you harm others" includes the fact that you destroying your family should not mean I have to pay for their welfare. Legalize ALL drugs and eliminate ALL social welfare. Now that's a conservative value I can get behind.

As far as guns, yeah, whatever you say. I don't go back and forth with you people any more. It's not worth it. Inner city crime is not a valid reason to infringe upon me. Come get them. Good luck. That's as far as the conversation should go from now on. Let's see who comes out on top.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:05 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I live in a predominately polish neighborhood. Within the 8yrs that I've lived here I have yet to hear 1 gunshot. Meanwhile if i were to drive 20 minutes into Brownsville, gunshots, shootings, murder are the norm. Why is that?
White NRA members and southern "lax" gun laws, duh. Liberals say so!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
POVERTY.

I'm also appx 15-20 minutes away (by car) from Brownsville in a predominately black middle-class neighborhood and rarely if ever hear gunshots.
It's much more than poverty that's driving such violent behavior. There are many poor white area's throughout this country yet I dont see them shooting/killing one another on a daily basis. There are many poor asians living in public housing and surviving off of welfare. I know because I went to high school close to chinatown and knew many of them. Why arent they killing one another as a result of "poverty"?

Last edited by louie0406; 09-22-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City