Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How cohesive is the Tri-State compared to the DMV?
More cohesive 2 20.00%
Less cohesive 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

When I lived in DC, I used to go to the movies in Northern Virginia, shop in Maryland, go to dinner in Alexandria, go to a gym in Virginia, etc. In New York, I feel like I leave the city for entertainment, shopping, and casual trips a lot less. In this sense, I feel like I experience less of the whole metro area (Jersey, CT) than I did living in DC.

Is your NYC experience like mine or is it more like my DC experience where you end up running errands in New Jersey or Connecticut every other day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Probably less but it also probably depends on where you live. Manhattan certainly is an island unto itself.The bridges serve as barriers to other boroughs and other states. Same with Staten Island . People who live in The Bronx,Queens and Brooklyn travel much more freely to Long Island,Westchester,etc. I know that from my Bronx neighborhood people go to Westchester and Ct constantly to shop,go to movies,etc.
It probably also depends on whether you have a car.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
MUCH MUCH MUCH less.

From a Long Island perspective, it's really a nightmare to get to Jersey, Hudson Valley or CT because not only will you get raped by tolls but you will encounter a lot of traffic. Plus, I haven't had any excuse to go to any of the other areas except for family reasons. I've always looked at visiting those places as a "day-trip" and I prefer to spend the night if I do go out there.

I live on the Nassau - Suffolk border and the absolute farthest that I would ever think of working is in Manhattan...and even then, they better pay me damn good for even that! I consider anything past the Cross Island Pkwy to be too far to "run an earrin".

The DC area is more cohesive since you get to drive AROUND the big city (DC) to get to the other areas via the Beltway. Plus, the DC region is much much much smaller than the NY region. From Long Island, you would have to drive THROUGH a mega-city to get to those other places. People forget about how big the NYC area is, suburban Nassau County, NY ALONE has 2x as much people as the entire city of DC. Brooklyn has 4x as much ppl as DC.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 09-23-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 08:40 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I'm in NJ all the time, as is most of SI as evidenced by the flow of traffic over the bridges every single day and especially on the holidays. Staten Islanders go to NJ for beaches in the summer, not Coney Island or LI, etc.

Anyone who lives in Staten Island and doesn't take advantage of the cheaper gas and sales tax in NJ is either a fool or doesn't own a car. I paid $1.89 for gas yesterday. With the discount we get on the tolls, I'd have saved money even if that was the only reason I had crossed the bridge.

I can honestly say I don't know a single person who doesn't regularly go to NJ to shop, eat, visit people, or whatever else. Bluedog is dead wrong about SI.

As to the poll question, it doesn't make sense. Cohesiveness has nothing to do with the free flow of people back and forth between the areas. That's a much more complicated matter probably better explained via sports fandom than any other single attribute.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:46 PM

237 posts, read 482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm in NJ all the time, as is most of SI as evidenced by the flow of traffic over the bridges every single day and especially on the holidays. Staten Islanders go to NJ for beaches in the summer, not Coney Island or LI, etc.

Anyone who lives in Staten Island and doesn't take advantage of the cheaper gas and sales tax in NJ is either a fool or doesn't own a car. I paid $1.89 for gas yesterday. With the discount we get on the tolls, I'd have saved money even if that was the only reason I had crossed the bridge.

I can honestly say I don't know a single person who doesn't regularly go to NJ to shop, eat, visit people, or whatever else. Bluedog is dead wrong about SI.

As to the poll question, it doesn't make sense. Cohesiveness has nothing to do with the free flow of people back and forth between the areas. That's a much more complicated matter probably better explained via sports fandom than any other single attribute.
This is very true. Go to the Woodbridge/Edison area on any Saturday or Sunday and you'll see at least 50% New York plates on the highways, all from Staten Island.

Overall though, I would say NYC itself seems like its own entity, as does Long Island, CT, NJ, ect. Still, there is some crossover travel, mainly depending on what borough you're in. From my experience I would say that Queens/Brooklyn do kind of have a "connection" with Long Island, Bronx residences have a connection to Westchester and CT, Manhattan residences with north/urban Jersey, and SI residents with central/suburban Jersey.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:48 PM

237 posts, read 482,605 times
Quote:

This is very true. Go to the Woodbridge/Edison area on any Saturday or Sunday and you'll see at least 50% New York plates on the highways, mostly from Staten Island.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
This is very true. Go to the Woodbridge/Edison area on any Saturday or Sunday and you'll see at least 50% New York plates on the highways, all from Staten Island.

Overall though, I would say NYC itself seems like its own entity, as does Long Island, CT, NJ, ect. Still, there is some crossover travel, mainly depending on what borough you're in. From my experience I would say that Queens/Brooklyn do kind of have a "connection" with Long Island, Bronx residences have a connection to Westchester and CT, Manhattan residences with north/urban Jersey, and SI residents with central/suburban Jersey.
True, I would just say that Manhattan has about equal cohesiveness with every part of the Metro area since it's such a massive job center; and so many millions of people commute to work there every day. And many go to hang out there on the weekends.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
True, I would just say that Manhattan has about equal cohesiveness with every part of the Metro area since it's such a massive job center; and so many millions of people commute to work there every day. And many go to hang out there on the weekends.
I guess I was more interested in New Yorkers leaving the city. Like going to catch a movie in New Jersey after work. Or living in Manhattan but working out at a New Jersey gym.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
How much does gas cost on Staten Island?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I lived in DC, I used to go to the movies in Northern Virginia, shop in Maryland, go to dinner in Alexandria, go to a gym in Virginia, etc. In New York, I feel like I leave the city for entertainment, shopping, and casual trips a lot less. In this sense, I feel like I experience less of the whole metro area (Jersey, CT) than I did living in DC.

Is your NYC experience like mine or is it more like my DC experience where you end up running errands in New Jersey or Connecticut every other day?
Unless you commute between states for most people life is not like that at all in this area. As a matter of fact people try to do as much as possible near their place of work or their job.

Myself i'm in westchester occasionally for some shopping (warehouse stores, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City