Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Certainly nothing wrong with temp agencies. But I think that the problem will be not that a LL wants you to have worked somewhere for a year, but that they understand that a temp technically has no stable income. What agency is it? For instance, they may regard it differently if it's a long-time established agency.

I think that your first choice should be trying to rent a room for something under $1000, to let you save up some money. I think your second choice should be a roommate, again, paying as little as possible. I know you'd like your own place, but let's be realistic. Don't use up all your savings on this.

When you do get to the point of trying to get your own place, start by offering an extra 2-3 months rent, not 6. Your best bet for this would be to avoid a corporate LL or managing agent, and find some nice real person renting out an apartment in his own building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 04:02 PM

515 posts, read 875,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You didn't answer if you make $1650 before OR after taxes?
Does it matter? He can't afford 1300 rent per month either way.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 47,446 times
After

Old 10-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Certainly nothing wrong with temp agencies. But I think that the problem will be not that a LL wants you to have worked somewhere for a year, but that they understand that a temp technically has no stable income. What agency is it? For instance, they may regard it differently if it's a long-time established agency.

I think that your first choice should be trying to rent a room for something under $1000, to let you save up some money. I think your second choice should be a roommate, again, paying as little as possible. I know you'd like your own place, but let's be realistic. Don't use up all your savings on this.

When you do get to the point of trying to get your own place, start by offering an extra 2-3 months rent, not 6. Your best bet for this would be to avoid a corporate LL or managing agent, and find some nice real person renting out an apartment in his own building.
Thank you for your post and your advice. You're correct my only option is renting a room which I also think will help me save. I've seen rooms for rent for as long as $650 on Craigslist. If you know of any more useful websites that I can rent a room here please feel free to drop a comment.

Thanks again

Old 10-10-2015, 05:16 PM

85 posts, read 367,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny38 View Post
Good Afternoon everybody,

Before I ask the questions, I will tell you guys a bit about my situation so that it will be easier for you guys to answer my questions more efficiently.

For starters, Im a lifetime resident of this city, so of course im already familiar with transportation, neighborhoods etc so we can skip that part. Right now im currently working through a temp agency...............................(BEFORE ANYBODY STARTS JUDGING ME OR ANYONE ELSE WHO ARE GOING THROUGH TEMP AGENCIES TO GET JOBS, LET ME JUST SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS. NOW A DAYS, IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO GET HIRED AT JOBS DIRECTLY FROM THE COMPANY ITSELF AND NOW A DAYS, MANY, AND MANY PEOPLE GO THROUGH TEMP AGENCIES TO GET WORK. SO IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD SAY.... " WHY ARE YOU GOING THROUGH AN AGENCY TO FIND WORK?"...,THEN ID SAY, YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ON WHATS GOING ON IN TODAY'S JOB MARKET AND TO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES BECAUSE THINGS HAVE CHANGED FROM 20, 25 AND 30 YEARS AGO AND WE ARE IN MORE DIFFICULT TIMES SO IT'S NOT AS EASY AS PEOPLE THINK. IF IT WAS, MANY PEOPLE LIKE ME WOULD WORK FOR THE COMPANY)..................... Anyway, I am currently working at a long term job through a temp agency. HOWEVER, even though its a temp agency, i feel that it does count as a company, since many landlords do prefer someone whos worked for at least a year in the same company. I've been with them for over a year and they always find me work. The longest I've been without work from them is 2 weeks TOPS. And that's of course after the contract ends. And some of the jobs I get sent to are short term jobs and some are long term jobs (long term meaning 6+ months)

I started my long term job last week and I'm making $1650 a month. I have excellent credit, no kids, no car, no credit card payments and im just looking for a decent apartment to rent, preferably up in the Washington Heights area. I'm not looking for anything fancy such as fancy restaurants and other crazy things that many people look for when first coming here. Just a decent apartment. thats all. im also aware that in many places id have to make 40x the rent but since i dont make that kind of money, il be putting down 6 months or maybe even a years worth of deposit. Now here are my questions.....

1) if I wanted to rent an apartment that's $1300, even though I know that would be cutting it VERY close, would a large deposit such as 6 months or more possibly get me the apartment?

2) say for example, I put 6 months deposit. Does that mean I don't pay rent for 6 months?

3) Would anyone know of any real estate companies in that area that would accept more deposit since they are strict will the 40x rent rule?

Thank you everybody!
Dude you want to rent an apartment that's $1300 with a $1600 income?? Are you nuts??! You're only asking for trouble. Plus no LL will rent you that $1300 apartment with a $1600 monthly income anywhere. Not just here. If you want rent a place for $1300 you should at least be making $2000 a month after taxes. When you're able to make more income, I would advice you go through a private owner because real estate places are very strict. Good luck buddy

Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,195 times
NO landlord will rent you an apt on that income. Do as others have already suggested: get a room/roommate and keep doing your best at your temp jobs with the hope of landing a permanent gig. All the best.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post and your advice. You're correct my only option is renting a room which I also think will help me save. I've seen rooms for rent for as long as $650 on Craigslist. If you know of any more useful websites that I can rent a room here please feel free to drop a comment.

Thanks again
As far as I know, craigslist is still your best bet for finding a room for $650. I did a quick search and there seem to be some that don't look like scams, although you never know until you make the first contact. If I were you, I would focus on subway-accessible areas in Southern Brooklyn, Queens near Elmhurst, and parts of the Bronx. I think it's possible that you will be able to find a small room for $650 or less in one of those areas. If not, expand your search to include Staten Island and other areas in the other boroughs where you have to take a bus to the train (those areas should be cheaper).

Edit: after posting the above, I just clicked on one ad for a room in the Bronx for $650 and it doesn't have windows or a closet! So maybe you will need to expand the search to Staten Island.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/roo/5252080345.html

Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Does it matter? He can't afford 1300 rent per month either way.
Yes $1300 may be too much but can help the Op figure out costs based upon what they actually take home.

Quote:
After
Bills you will need to pay if you get your own apartment

Con Ed $75
Internet $50
Laundry $25
Cell phone $50
Food/Groceries $300
Metro Card $116.50
Do you have health insurance?

Those are the basic bills you will have monthly so maybe you can figure out what you can afford to pay after that.
Rent ????

Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
As far as I know, craigslist is still your best bet for finding a room for $650. I did a quick search and there seem to be some that don't look like scams, although you never know until you make the first contact. If I were you, I would focus on subway-accessible areas in Southern Brooklyn, Queens near Elmhurst, and parts of the Bronx. I think it's possible that you will be able to find a small room for $650 or less in one of those areas. If not, expand your search to include Staten Island and other areas in the other boroughs where you have to take a bus to the train (those areas should be cheaper).

Edit: after posting the above, I just clicked on one ad for a room in the Bronx for $650 and it doesn't have windows or a closet! So maybe you will need to expand the search to Staten Island.

Private BDRM in Large Apartment w Artists/Activists - Utilities Incl
Yes you are correct. I've seen ads on Craigslist yesterday too and they have rooms for $650 queens Brooklyn the Bronx and places in manhattan but uptown manhattan like Harlem and Washington Heights. I appreciate your response and advice

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes $1300 may be too much but can help the Op figure out costs based upon what they actually take home.

Bills you will need to pay if you get your own apartment

Con Ed $75
Internet $50
Laundry $25
Cell phone $50
Food/Groceries $300
Metro Card $116.50
Do you have health insurance?

Those are the basic bills you will have monthly so maybe you can figure out what you can afford to pay after that.
Rent ????
Yeah i get your point. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City