Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 05:00 PM

218 posts, read 294,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
This could be true!.. you have to think all the people who did not take the job last year who deferred, medical and who did not have their cdl lic. Remember the list starts back from the number 1 etc.. I know 2 people who deferred last year and who taken the job this year.
I know two also and that's what scares me.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 16,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjf718 View Post
4-500 list numbers, not that many people went to orientation already. We'll see how it goes once we hear about the first class.
Yeah and the people who didn't show up are done so almost half the orientations are done this year already and only 112 have cdl so I think if you're below 1800 and have cdl you should be in this year but the first class tells all going they blow through at least 400 numbers

Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 AM

Another day closer!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 AM

288 posts, read 470,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksyanks23 View Post
Another day closer!
I just want June 5th to come already

Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 AM

101 posts, read 154,457 times
It sounds crazy how you cant call out sick without being investigated and proven sick. So basically you cant take a day at least to rest your back if its hurting like crazy. Can someone explain to me how this is the best job in the world? Meanwhile from orientation she made it sound like working this job will take the whole time of your life and no time for yourself and family with the schedules they give you. Can someone who already works as a sanitation worker tell me what the lifestyle is like working 6 days a week random shifts each time?

Last edited by jgunz21z; 05-25-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 AM

512 posts, read 765,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunz21z View Post
It sounds crazy how you cant call out sick without being investigated and proven sick. So basically you cant take a day at least to rest your back if its hurting like crazy. Can someone explain to me how this is the best job in the world? Meanwhile from orientation she made it sound like working this job will take the whole time of your life and no time for yourself and family with the schedules they give you. Can someone who already works as a sanitation worker tell me what the lifestyle is like working 6 days a week random shifts each time?
on this job, if your back is bothering you please tell them youhave a sinus infection.....Your back may be hurting but tell nobody.....

i cannot tell you its the best job in the world....i like it, doesnt mean you will....

bouncing around sucks at the beginning but depending on the garage stability comes easier than you think....some guys sign nights and stay nights....some guys want to stay days and end up bouncing while others stay days....just depends on your garage

Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 AM

54 posts, read 73,979 times
You will have no life during winter months!

Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM

327 posts, read 469,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunz21z View Post

While on probation, if you go sick you won't get terminated. You may get extended for your probation though. You have to go to the clinic and may or may not need a doctors note as well. So it's more encouraged to just tough it out because the goal is to make your probation last only 18 months, but to each their own. If you're sick, you're sick. It's up to you if you think you can last 8 hours at work. I suggest taking vitamin supplements to keep your immune system up.

When you're new, you will be bouncing shifts depending on the garage you go to. If you can sign nights, you might get some regularity with a shift. Some guys come out of class and hold 12-8 or 4-12 or 7-3 depending on their garage. Other guys might have a 5 day week doing all different shifts like 6-2, 4-12, 8-4, 12-8, 4-12. You always have 2 days off each week, Sunday and another rotating day. You will see your family and be able to have a life, just not during the snow. During the snow, we are full force and usually 12-13 hour days.

You can always transfer to a place like Boro Lots and stay days unless it snows.

This job gets better with seniority, so consider yourself lucky if you come on in July. The more guys you have beat, the better your life gets. I hated this job a few years ago when I started, worked my first winter and hated it til I saw the snow checks. Stick it out. If not, theres thousands of people waiting for your spot.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM

144 posts, read 229,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
While on probation, if you go sick you won't get terminated. You may get extended for your probation though. You have to go to the clinic and may or may not need a doctors note as well. So it's more encouraged to just tough it out because the goal is to make your probation last only 18 months, but to each their own. If you're sick, you're sick. It's up to you if you think you can last 8 hours at work. I suggest taking vitamin supplements to keep your immune system up.

When you're new, you will be bouncing shifts depending on the garage you go to. If you can sign nights, you might get some regularity with a shift. Some guys come out of class and hold 12-8 or 4-12 or 7-3 depending on their garage. Other guys might have a 5 day week doing all different shifts like 6-2, 4-12, 8-4, 12-8, 4-12. You always have 2 days off each week, Sunday and another rotating day. You will see your family and be able to have a life, just not during the snow. During the snow, we are full force and usually 12-13 hour days.

You can always transfer to a place like Boro Lots and stay days unless it snows.

This job gets better with seniority, so consider yourself lucky if you come on in July. The more guys you have beat, the better your life gets. I hated this job a few years ago when I started, worked my first winter and hated it til I saw the snow checks. Stick it out. If not, theres thousands of people waiting for your spot.
In your opinion cause i have a friend who works nights and he loves it. Is it better to do days or nights?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Anyone have pre-orientation today? Any addition info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City