Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Yeah ok. And I'd love to hear your dumba$$ reaction when white people in gentrifying areas begin to "desegregate" minority schools. I bet you'll be screaming discrimination or the rich are invading our minority schools. Keep whitey out! Right?

I'd bet that you'd love to preserve minority schools and keep them that way. Am I right? FOH!
White people in gentrifying areas are all ready desegregating minority schools. I'm all for it. I'm pro gentrification.

Someone has to pay for services like public education, public transportation, etc. So a city wants to get as many as well off people in prime areas as they can. These people spend money, and they pay for other good thing in the neighborhood like restaurants.

Kids from poor families don't benefit from being in isolated neighborhoods where all they see is other poor kids because that's all they know. But as neighborhoods gentrify the remaining poor kids are certainly exposed to a lot, and they know if they want to stay in a decent area they will need to do what they must to move up socioeconomically (education, work, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,455 times
I am talking about the breadknot couples who move here, hog studios and one bedrooms, breed, and then don't move and expect everything to be in accordance to their corny utopian ideals. Sorry, but I HATE them.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,050,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
White people in gentrifying areas are all ready desegregating minority schools. I'm all for it. I'm pro gentrification.

Someone has to pay for services like public education, public transportation, etc. So a city wants to get as many as well off people in prime areas as they can. These people spend money, and they pay for other good thing in the neighborhood like restaurants.

Kids from poor families don't benefit from being in isolated neighborhoods where all they see is other poor kids because that's all they know. But as neighborhoods gentrify the remaining poor kids are certainly exposed to a lot, and they know if they want to stay in a decent area they will need to do what they must to move up socioeconomically (education, work, etc).
This is exactly what's happening, but seems that the new policy aims to put a cap on the effects of gentrification especially when all the schools that they selected are in areas where gentrification is happening or about to happen. So what would happen if 80% of the area becomes gentrifying professionals and the school policy only allows 40% of seats for non-disadvantage students? Does that sound like the right policy. All this talk about the specialized high schools should racially reflect the city is all BS when they're trying to create policies to prevent neighborhood zoned schools from reflecting those exact neighborhoods. Luckily I made a decision not to risk raising kids in a gentrifying area that I grew up in.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 11-22-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I am talking about the breadknot couples who move here, hog studios and one bedrooms, breed, and then don't move and expect everything to be in accordance to their corny utopian ideals. Sorry, but I HATE them.
Doesn't matter. What you think doesn't affect them. You're suffering, not them. All you can do is hate.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
This is exactly what's happening, but seems that the new policy aims to put a cap on the effects of gentrification especially when all the schools that they selected are in areas where gentrification is happening or about to happen. So what would happen if 80% of the area becomes gentrifying professionals and the school policy only allows 40% of seats for non-disadvantage students? Does that sound like the right policy. All this talk about the specialized high schools should racially reflect the city is all BS when they're trying to create policies to prevent neighborhood zoned schools from reflecting those exact neighborhoods. Luckily I made a decision not to risk raising kids in a gentrifying area that I grew up in.
That scenario is not the case in any of these schools.

So the true problem you have is your kids might have to go to school with significant number of minority kids.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,549,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Forced integration will not solve the problem but instead will probably breed new ones.

While I don't believe that forced integration solves problems please don't fool yourself that racial segregation in the USA isn't primarily based on racial assumptions.

In fact this shows the hypocrisy of many white liberals. They want to control the racial composition of the schools. They assume that all blacks are poor, in fact thinking that only the blacks who they feel comfortable among aren't poor. And they don't think that non whites have ideas which are worth listening to.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,549,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I
Minorty children from established families who move to middle-class white neighborhoods not because of affordable housing or forced de-segregation schemes but rather being successful and making proper life choices fit in just fine and I welcome any minority group into my neighbohood who does it this way.

Yet black kids on college campuses are protesting against racial slights. You do know that these kids from the same middle class families that you claim to have no problems with.

There are issues of class, but RACE remains an issue, IRRESPECTIVE of class.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,111 times
Quote:
So the true problem you have is your kids might have to go to school with significant number of minority kids.
I live in a gentrifying area and it pretty clear the black and hispanic kids fall behind in school due to lack of parents prioritizing their kids education. They are allowed to play and have fun all day (when they are out of school). While a white and asian kid would be at home studying or attending after school programs. I would avoid my kids going to a school with kids from the projects because I don't want them to be influence by the kids in the projects telling my kid it is acceptable to have fun and not study seriously. Having your child surrounded by overachievers in a competitive environment will help them understand how to handle adversities in life (when they become an adult).

Old 11-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. What you think doesn't affect them. You're suffering, not them. All you can do is hate.
It's a bitter pill to swallow. I was born in Jersey City and grew up there. I only moved to NYC because it seemed like the easiest place to make a living, and it was.. For a while. Now people like me are considered trash and should just suck it up. I can't even afford to move back to Jersey City! :/

Old 11-22-2015, 02:03 PM

quote:
Having your child surrounded by overachievers in a competitive environment will help them understand how to handle adversities in life

Or could flat out cause them to die of anxiety and social wannabeness. Actually, growing up in an an environment of nothing but overachievers with obnoxious helicopter parents teaches them NOTHING about adversity in life actually. nothing.

I don't know how I feel about this issue when it comes to schools since I'm not a breeder, but I do see how these issues affect where I live and it sucks a lot. Makes it very unappealing. No wonder gays don't even bother moving to this corny city anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City