Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM

518 posts, read 626,097 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise the demographics of Wavecrest Gardens in Far Rockway?
Is it completely black; if not, what is the percentage of blacks versus whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 35,687 times
Default Wavecrest Gardens

I see more whites living in that area than blacks. There seems to be a high percentage of elderly whites living in that area which may be why it also appears to be very peaceful (not a lot of noise...I hate noise). I never see anyone hanging out and that area is highly guarded with security and restricted access to the buildings. I'm black and I stick out like a sore thumb in that area. I seriously doubt that you would be the one to stick out. There are whites (young and old) living in wavecrest gardens, senior citizen homes, co-op buildings and the private homes in the surrounding areas. I think the blacks that you may see are the ones shopping and/or waiting at the bus stops to go further into the Rockaways. The few blacks living in wavecrest gardens are hardworking people with good credit and good salaries. I say this because its not easy to get into wavecrest gardens. You have to meet income requirements which are high and you need excellent credit and a long/steady employment history. I believe you have to make at least $40,000 per year just to qualify for the studios. Go in for a guided tour of the place and fill out the application. They will show you the apartments if you're interested. But only after you fill out the application and they find you to be acceptable. They are very selective, which is a good thing.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:38 PM

85 posts, read 315,154 times
I used to work as the exterminator for WaveCrest Gardens... It is a prodominantly African American community. There is also hispanic and few white americans. They do have often german roach problems in those apartments. Some people also complained about mouse problems due to the portors leaving the basement doors open. Although a decent area to live, I find it not really worth the money. The management is a pain in the butt to work with and there slow with getting things done. Safe community I must say though, gated community and right on the beach. Also to add for the most part the people that own or rent those appartments really don't care for them, there dirty, and I"ve been in many aparments were they havn't cleaned for months.. Then they complain they get roach's lolololol.... IMO I feel the south side on the beach is nicer than the north side and cleaner... They also have another section which is newer I think. Hey.. its the truth... Tell Rich the owner or head manager to jump off a bridge....lol

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM

185 posts, read 752,017 times
Hmm, well I can only vouch for how it was when I went there about , maybe 6 years ago. It seemed more white than black, with some hispanic, (kind of a mix I guess) but the requirements WERE indeed tough, you needed good credit, steady job. Overall, it WAS competitive, and seemed pretty safe.I also found it to be very clean, BUT the apartments were VERY small. I would not feel out of place as a white person there.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 40,108 times
I lived in Wavecrest and it is prodominently black and hispanic. However, there are a good amount of whites, asians and indians. The complex is close to the beach, schools, hospitals, stores and transportation. It is also next to a senior building. It is a called a "gated" community, but the security gaurds were average and anyone could walk right by them. Especially since visitors without cars do not have to sign in and there are non-gaurded passages everywhere. Management was a pain when it came to repairs and getting things done. Wavecrest also had a habit of fixing things that they are required to fix and tacking it on to the tenants rent as MCI charges. When I moved out my rent was $120 higher based on MCI charges alone. The apartments are descent, but the building did have a roach/mouse problem and I am a very clean person. It also had a problem with noisy people hanging out all over the place all night. Overall the apartments were OK at best, but not worth the money you pay for them.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 25,595 times
Default wavecrest

A year ago I moved into this community, it is really wonderful, except for one little detail. I agree with the previous post with regards to getting fixes and maintenance work done in the apartment. Every fix of the same thing brings worse results.
For example, there was a little leak in one of my closets, after a few repair jobs it actually got worse than it was.
Sometimes, I am wondering how long it will be before my closet won't have a ceiling at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 50,212 times
I have a very big problem with bugs..they actually freak me out so I'm wondering has the probelm been solved? I am looking to move I have credit but I am colleged aged so wondering if I will get approved. and also someone said loud noise at night?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 50,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant076 View Post
A year ago I moved into this community, it is really wonderful, except for one little detail. I agree with the previous post with regards to getting fixes and maintenance work done in the apartment. Every fix of the same thing brings worse results.
For example, there was a little leak in one of my closets, after a few repair jobs it actually got worse than it was.
Sometimes, I am wondering how long it will be before my closet won't have a ceiling at all.

So you still live there?? is there still a big roach and mouse problem?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 24,692 times
I'm living there for 8 years. It is a community typical of New York, you can practically find someone from every part of the globe represented here. There is a roach/mouse problem but if you call maintenance the exterminators will come for as long as you need them. They do take some time to fix some things (major) but the others are done very quickly. The apartment complex is very quiet, especially at nights, there used to be teens hanging out but not anymore I guess they either grew up/moved. Only you can make up your mind about living anywhere, visit the area and look at the apartments, they are fairly big with lots of closet space. Dont be afraid, people are the same anywhere you go, you have the good and the bad.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 28,552 times
Basically mostly Black with a sprinkle of other. Security is cosmetic because the place is really not gated with free access to anyone on foot. The place is infested with rodents and roaches and still houses alot of the section 8/welfare recipients that were "grandfathered" in when the place were the projects--before it was "upgraded." Lowlifes hang out at all hours of the night making noise and if you're White be careful, I have been pelted with chicken bones flying out of windows. Your rent will go up every 2 yrs about $200 and if you visit the website, dont be fooled. There are no pools, no water fountains and the beach on that section has no lifeguards EVER because you can't swim on that section of the beach. Don't bother moving in, its a money pit.

Last edited by FED_UP_TENANT; 04-06-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City