Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,261,927 times

Advertisements

The area around Yankee Stadium has improved in recent years but there are some really ghetto blocks around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,961,009 times
The area looks better than the area I teach, which is the 170th st station on the 4.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,638,448 times
I hear that High Bridge cleaned up a bit. I only been in that area a few times (with the exeption of being on the CBE), but I wouldn't know. It looks like most parts of the South Bronx.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
when my dad took me to the games as a teen in the late 70's, jerome Ave up near 170th, 172 street was all burned out buildings. we would hear gunshots and the sound of people gasping as if they were shot, people drugged out running in the streets, young kids fighting in empty lots

about 15 years ago i was there on jerome passing through and i don't think i saw any abandoned buldings. it was definitely better than 15 years prior to that

i now feel safe in the area, at least in the AM should i have to go to jury duty or selection

Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,671,488 times
I lived in high bridge for years. the crime in the area is more sporadic than anything. walton is a know drug strip and so is elliot pl. it's worse around the concourse and east of the concourse, than it is in the area west of jerome

lol @ 138th and concourse. isn't the lowest street in the bx 132 or something like that?

High bridge is not south bronx people. it might be in the "southern" part of the bronx but it's not "south bronx" as we know it - from 161 all the way to 176 is my old stomping grounds and we never used to call it south bx.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,061,253 times
bx718, why isn't it the south Bronx? What's not south about it.

Atleast for areas north of CBE you can argue that geographically is not south.....but Highbridge is in the southern portion and had many burned out buildings, crime, drugs etc............also wasn't it there where the blimp showed a building on fire an the the famous words were uttered "Ladies and gentlemen the Bronx is burning"......

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

842 posts, read 4,310,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
bx718, why isn't it the south Bronx? What's not south about it.

Atleast for areas north of CBE you can argue that geographically is not south.....but Highbridge is in the southern portion and had many burned out buildings, crime, drugs etc............also wasn't it there where the blimp showed a building on fire an the the famous words were uttered "Ladies and gentlemen the Bronx is burning"......
Yes. But the South Bronx & East Harlem and its massive cluster of public housing is what started the urban decay. Public housing (esp. clusters) tend to make the surrounding areas depressed. But, the origin is clear.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM

85 posts, read 415,798 times
Highbridge is geographically referred to as the 'West' Bronx. However, due to it's reputation for high crime, it is frequently referred to as the South Bronx.

The NYPD's 44 precinct covers the area around Yankee Stadium, and it has had the dubious distinction of having the most murders per capita in NYC in years past. Additionally, the area has the highest per capita rate of HIV in the US, due to the many SRO's such as Volunteers of America that house these people.

The area is improving, but what you see directly around Yankee Stadium is not representative of what you would encounter just a few blocks away. Definitely not as bad as the 90's, but it is still the ghetto.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM

473 posts, read 1,671,488 times
it's funny - i have friends in west farms/etremont area and they claim to be from the north bronx. I think the labels are quite relative for example for someone in westfarms/etremont, they are "north" of mott haven and will refer to themselves as north bronx. In highbridge we used to say south bronx and not include ourselves. someone in highbridge will refer to uni heights as west bronx. wasn't it agreed upon that west bronx was the areas west of jerome? in that case highbridge is on the west/east border and the north/south "region" ? melrose is literally highbridge's twin....

I don't think highbridge has any where near more murders than say brownsville, bedstuy and east new york. I will play with those crime stats and post it up pretty soon to put an end to these generalisations.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,061,253 times
I classify Highbridge either way....."west Bronx" or "south Bronx". One of the only neighborhoods that could claim two. Also in no way do I see the 170's/180's as north Bronx....in reference to E. Tremont. I live in Uni. Heights and I am probably the only person who says were "south Bronx".....the LARGE consensus here is "west Bronx". Morris Heights, Fordham, Uni Heights all fall into the 170's-180's range and nobody that I know of ever calls it north Bronx.

The 190's would probably be the southern border for north Bronx. But I think more of the 200's.

Tremont/W. Farms/Fordham I just would call central Bronx.

Oh and Highbridge has an awful murder rep. This past year it had a high total of 17 (?)......already 2 this year. But the worst of it in 1990 when there were 89 murders....that is what the poster was referring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City