Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 AM

861 posts, read 852,158 times

Advertisements

It begins.. I held back when it came to De Blasio, but this kind of warm hearted fuzzy nonsense doesn't help anyone..

The last time I recently walked through Times Square I remember a guy sadly urinating openly in the street not a pleasant sight.. Granted I am not sure the individual in question was well. With no sanction against it, such behaviour it is bound to increase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 12:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
People who got caught doing that stuff usually just got tickets in the first place, I don't see how much this will really change

Old 03-02-2016, 04:27 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
People who got caught doing that stuff usually just got tickets in the first place, I don't see how much this will really change

Not really.

Every since Rudy G cleaned up this place (he had a DA and police commissioner that knew where to draw the line), persons stopped for violations were often arrested and processed through the system. This was especially true if the accused couldn't produce proper photo ID.

This change was implemented as part of Rudy's "broken windows" type of policing. It was also felt that those issuing desk appearance tickets rarely showed up (they didn't), racked up more tickets and you could never be sure who they were. Ask court officers about things back in the day; you'd hear names called out like "Marie-Antoinette of France", "Count Bassie", "Bugs Bunny".... By arresting and putting peeps through the system you now had fingerprints. This means among other things you can see if they had priors and verify identity.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,463 times
Hobo that squats in my building is rejoicing! Nothing has deterred him from trespassing in my building.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Great, we going back to the good ole days.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,349 times
A lot of people are really overreacting to this. Decriminalizing something does not mean that it is legal. It simply means that you can't be arrested for it.

But virtually no one gets arrested for these offenses in the first place, unless they have a warrant out or decide to pick a fight with the cop.

People gets summonses for these infractions and can still get summonses.

So really nothing is changing, the 70's aren't back, carry on with your lives.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
A lot of people are really overreacting to this. Decriminalizing something does not mean that it is legal. It simply means that you can't be arrested for it.

But virtually no one gets arrested for these offenses in the first place, unless they have a warrant out or decide to pick a fight with the cop.

People gets summonses for these infractions and can still get summonses.

So really nothing is changing, the 70's aren't back, carry on with your lives.
A lot will change once cops have this policy explained to them. It won't be taken the way you are understanding it. It will be taken as "We don't want these arrests, end of story. So if you go to ticket someone for peeing, alcohol, etc, and they resist, you will be scrutinized. If something goes wrong, it's on you. Good luck."

Think Eric Garner. "Not today, the DA said this is legal!" You think any cop is going to risk that when they don't live in the building being peed on? Lol

In other words, any cop with brains will now ignore these infractions, effectively making them legal.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm ok with not arresting people taking up more than one subway seat.

They should be ticketed for fare evasion. One fare for each ass cheek.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:04 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A lot will change once cops have this policy explained to them. It won't be taken the way you are understanding it. It will be taken as "We don't want these arrests, end of story. So if you go to ticket someone for peeing, alcohol, etc, and they resist, you will be scrutinized. If something goes wrong, it's on you. Good luck."

Think Eric Garner. "Not today, the DA said this is legal!" You think any cop is going to risk that when they don't live in the building being peed on? Lol

In other words, any cop with brains will now ignore these infractions, effectively making them legal.
But couldnt the police officer who took Garner down have done it better ? He could have arrested him and been less of a dick right ? Plus couldnt the emt's helped him instead of standing around. You have good cops who even arrests people with humanity. I got a arrested and held over night, in one of those police iniatives near my home in the Bronx. I honestly did nothing wrong, the judge let me go with a fine since it would not be worth fighting the charge. Iam going to spare you the black lives matter jargon. But the cops who detained me were cool actually. They were like, its my job. The talked to me and let me borrow their cell phones to call home. They saw I was upset and understood I was a person like them same economic class, same type of domestic background, and even tried to tell me you wont get a criminal record, they lent me their cell phones to call home after mines got take away. They were as civil as possible after arresting me in a hyper exagerated interpretation of a disturbing the peace for the purposes of crime statistics done in the Bronx. Special task force roving the inner city justifying its existence by getting arrests in inner city areas. A cop even when doing his job at the behest of his boss, trying to secure arrests to further heir career, or what ever still can be a kind person.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:14 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,453 times
What offends people is selective enforcement of crimes to arrest some people or fine people but not t others. Public urination for example. I am a male, middle aged with diabets. I could imagine myself after being stuck on the subway one day with an emergency with no rest room. I bet all of you can imagine that scenario ? I am not a criminal, but one day I have to pee and the City doesnt have rest rooms and I cant go to a restaurant as I am not able to make a purchase and I go to an alley to pee and a cop sees me. Should I be arrested ? If you say yes, then fine. But why am I arrested and someone else is fined, and other person warned ? I think the City council has realized that the NYPD has realized that for the same offenses some people are arrested, some fined, some warned. What factors come into play to make that determination who knows, but things are not enforced evenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City