Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I bet those old ladies picking cans and bottles are debt free. Money managing skills are passed down from older generations. Some say it's in Chinese DNA just like the Jews.
The other week the news was interviewing a bottle collector and she said that between her and two others they bring in $500 a day. Assuming they don't take vacation or weekends off, that's $180k/year split three ways. And no income to declare to the authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:47 PM

62 posts, read 75,959 times
They hit the apartment complex by me every day at 5:30am, 3pm and 10pm. Make a killing with all the empties sitting out there. Probably $100 each pick up.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The other week the news was interviewing a bottle collector and she said that between her and two others they bring in $500 a day. Assuming they don't take vacation or weekends off, that's $180k/year split three ways. And no income to declare to the authorities.
That must be A LOT of work

Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That must be A LOT of work
The city makes money from the recycling program. Many of this people are scavengers who know the sanitation routes and collect the most profitable items on the curbside before sanitation arrives (which is not a lot of work considering the population density of NYC).

Quote:
New York could save $60 million a year by diverting 30% of its waste from landfills, Mr. Gonen said. The city spent $300 million in 2012 to ship waste out-of-state. For every ton of paper the city recycles, Mr. Gonen said the city receives at least $10.For every ton of glass and metal the city recycles, it pays about $72. It costs, on average, $86 to place a ton at an out-of-state landfill, he said. "If you don't care that much about the environment, hopefully you care about your pocketbook and tax dollars," Mr. Gonen said.

To process much of the material it expects to collect, the city and SIMS, a private firm, worked together to create a new, 100,000-square-foot recycling plant in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. SIMS invested $44 million to build the plant, and the city spent $80 million to upgrade roads and utilities to make the development possible.
Mayor Bloomberg Finds New Passion for Recycling - WSJ

Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbornNraisedceltic View Post
That's what I have. Maybe you should drive around a bit. Check out the Bell blvd area. It's not too bad in Bayside but Flushing and Whitestone looks like a prison these days. Damn shame. Great place to grow up in the 80s/90s. Looks like Fort Knox now.
Whitestone I'm not sure since I don't drive by there often, but Flushing those bar are probably there from when part of the neighborhood was bad and others area were starting to turn bad. I doubt anyone puts bars on their windows anymore. As for Bayside I live like a few blocks off Bell, it's all single family detached homes by me and no one has any bars on their windows, but the majority of my neighbors have alarm systems.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
I've heard $3k a month before, but never $500 a day. Those collectors must be working the busy parts of Manhattan to get that many cans.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I got all excited when I saw the title of your post - but then was so disappointed.

I don't give a damn about the backgrounds of the Chinatowns, and I'm not sure why anyone would. I've never heard anyone debate Little Italy's ratios of immigrants from southern vs. northern Italy.

I was expecting that you were going to post about restaurants. What a let-down!

My only acquaintance is with Manhattan's Chinatown. I haven't noticed much gentrification and am not sure who relevant it would be.
that's because southern italians outnumber northern 9:1 historically as past immigrants to the USA.. the "italians" you know in nyc are 99% southern italian. this is different for the chinese community where there are so many different provincial immigrants.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
i sold my condo to a chinese family for $2.8million in soho last year. wonder how they got that money, they're definitely not collecting bottles, and probably not paying taxes in the mainland.. this woke me up, because what trump has been saying is true.. they're basically taken US dollars out of here to there, and then reinvest back here. the family we sold to, we did what we could in terms of credit check, they paid in cash, but we ran one anyway.. and asked them what they do.. they said, "businessmen".

Old 04-14-2016, 08:46 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
i sold my condo to a chinese family for $2.8million in soho last year. wonder how they got that money, they're definitely not collecting bottles, and probably not paying taxes in the mainland.. this woke me up, because what trump has been saying is true.. they're basically taken US dollars out of here to there, and then reinvest back here. the family we sold to, we did what we could in terms of credit check, they paid in cash, but we ran one anyway.. and asked them what they do.. they said, "businessmen".
Trade deficit is only a reflection of currency flow, but doesn't take into account goods and services rendered. If you pay a barber $20 dollars for a haircut, will you say your barber is scamming you? Because you now have a $20 dollar deficit. China is the manufacturing capital of the world due to cheap, educated, and organized labor. US has benefited from decades of low cost of goods. While Americans have higher wealth per individual compared to China, China raw numbers are outrageous given they have four times the population size as america.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Trade deficit is only a reflection of currency flow, but doesn't take into account goods and services rendered. If you pay a barber $20 dollars for a haircut, will you say your barber is scamming you? Because you now have a $20 dollar deficit. China is the manufacturing capital of the world due to cheap, educated, and organized labor. US has benefited from decades of low cost of goods. While Americans have higher wealth per individual compared to China, China raw numbers are outrageous given they have four times the population size as america.
exactly, US corporations have benefited at the expense of it's own populace. corporations have bypassed labor here for cheaper labor abroad with absolutely no concept of patriotism and leveraging wealth off the many for the few. this is a function of culture shift.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 04-14-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City