Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,810 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd say this, but...I am considering looking into the possibility of moving to Staten Island.

We live in Brooklyn now (I like it, hubby doesn't).
I work in southern Brooklyn, he works in Staten Island.

He's dying to move to a more suburban environment (like NJ or Pennsylvania) but that would entail me changing jobs and...I'm not sure I'm ready to do that now.

I always dismissed Staten Island as somewhere I wouldn't like to live but...maybe it's not so bad?

I will admit I don't know much about Staten Island.
Do any board members here know more about it, can give me more information about it?

Are there parts that feel more suburban or even rural, but still have a nice small town feel?
I would like to be walking distance to stores, but not just strip mall kind of places. Are there any "town center" kind of places like you would find in a town in NJ, for example?

Is there a sense of community?

Also, we are Jewish (traditional but not so religious or terribly Orthodox, although a very modern Orthodox community might be our speed) - are there nice Jewish communities there? (We are American and Israeli, respectively).
Are most of the Jewish communities in Staten Island Russian/people from the FSU?

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 AM

432 posts, read 551,546 times
There are plenty of communities that feel suburban, especially the south shore. Rural, definitely not. Those days are long gone. Also there are some areas where you can walk around but in general a car is required on SI except near the ferry which is definitely not suburban.
The south shore doesn't have much of an American or Israeli community but does have a large Russian population.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
There are plenty of communities that feel suburban, especially the south shore. Rural, definitely not. Those days are long gone. Also there are some areas where you can walk around but in general a car is required on SI except near the ferry which is definitely not suburban.
The south shore doesn't have much of an American or Israeli community but does have a large Russian population.
Oh.
Actually I'm trying to get away from a Russian population...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 AM

36 posts, read 38,293 times
There are 2 main modern Orthodox communities on the island. Willowbrook which I would say is the larger community is mostly American. New Springville/Heartland Village area has a fairly large Israeli community.

Both definitely have a community feel if you choose to be involved but neither has a town center. For that you would have to go to maybe Highland Park NJ or 5 Towns in LI.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:49 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but...I am considering looking into the possibility of moving to Staten Island.

We live in Brooklyn now (I like it, hubby doesn't).
I work in southern Brooklyn, he works in Staten Island.

He's dying to move to a more suburban environment (like NJ or Pennsylvania) but that would entail me changing jobs and...I'm not sure I'm ready to do that now.

I always dismissed Staten Island as somewhere I wouldn't like to live but...maybe it's not so bad?

I will admit I don't know much about Staten Island.
Do any board members here know more about it, can give me more information about it?

Are there parts that feel more suburban or even rural, but still have a nice small town feel?
I would like to be walking distance to stores, but not just strip mall kind of places. Are there any "town center" kind of places like you would find in a town in NJ, for example?

Is there a sense of community?

Also, we are Jewish (traditional but not so religious or terribly Orthodox, although a very modern Orthodox community might be our speed) - are there nice Jewish communities there? (We are American and Israeli, respectively).
Are most of the Jewish communities in Staten Island Russian/people from the FSU?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

What area of Brooklyn are you in now? Do you guys have a car?

Old 05-03-2016, 05:12 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
As already mentioned there are two main Orthodox Jewish areas on the Rock; Bulls Head/Willowbrook and Heartland Village/New Springville. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow..._Staten_Island

The Bulls Head part is mostly (IIRC) the area just north of Willowbook Park/CSI campus as you come off 440 by Christopher Lane.

Reformed or otherwise are scattered all over SI.

As for trying to "get away from the Russians", can't say I blame you on that score. To be fair many Staten Islanders lump all Eastern Europeans together under "Russian", but never the less.... The NYT did a piece about tense relations awhile back: Staten Island Hates Russians (And Other Groups, Too) - Sheepshead Bay News Site

Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What area of Brooklyn are you in now? Do you guys have a car?
Southern Brooklyn.
We have a car.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Southern Brooklyn.
We have a car.
I've driven through a couple of areas of SI that have stores that you can walk to but a lot of areas are not like that. I think suburban PA/NJ = a big leap from Brooklyn if you're not ready for that type of environment, so if you're trying to meet halfway, I guess SI might be a good compromise. There's a chance you'll still be driving to most places though---anyone I know who has moved to SI mostly drive everywhere.

I'm guessing areas like Marine Park and Shore Road in Bay Ridge are still too city for him, eh?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Nice borough lots of places do have a suburban feel there. The Greenbelt is there and the second largest NYC park. Most do indeed drive to get where they have to go. Anytime I go to Staten Island from Brooklyn I feel really far away. SI has a unique feel to it also, Cant really explain it though. The large ferris wheel and waterfront development that is planned is supposed to bring more activity as well to the area.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,919 times
Staten Island has fast become a giant **** hole. A poor man's brooklyn if you will as all the people fleeing Brooklyn have brought their Brooklyn tudes and driving habits to the borough. Don't come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City